1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Character customization

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by McGamer, May 30, 2013.

1. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

I believe I could still recognize a Chua from a Mechari silhouette regardless of a little height/weight difference.

One thing I am wondering about is the identical ear rings I have seen in the screenshots so far on all the Chua. I wonder if those are some sort of non-customizable feature or a lore reference.
  2. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Perhaps they're tagged?
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Voxxine has no sense of humor. We find what she says funny, but she herself does not find it funny. The reason she is funny is because she's overly serious and sassy. But if you re-watch the video, she never once chuckles or has anything but a sense of seriousness.

I was meeting your sarcasm with more sarcasm. Clearly insinuating Mechari "love" would be against their paranoid nature of not trusting anyone, and intelligence/counterintelligence. That's part of the humor and fun of the Mechari, that they are overly serious. And a robot which raises a "child robot" is contrived at best. I was just pointing out that Mechari are genderless, as they don't reproduce via copulation, and only take on gender appearances for the sake of those they have to work with. Same reason they have a "humanoid form" for a humanoid interface.
  4. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

Chuas being tagged by the dominion sounds like it could be an interesting backstory to me. I wish Carbine would be more upfront about it if it's true as with the Mordesh backstory.
  5. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Voxxine Smiles as she offers the students a way out. Which is, itself, a moment of dark humor as she dashes their smiling hopes with a raised gun. And, once alone in an empty hall with scorch-marks, says "Class Dismissed" which is essentially pointless outside of it's comedic/one-liner effect. She has a sense of humor, just a bit of a dark one, it seems. Also: Most people capable of telling a good joke or offering up a witty one-liner don't laugh at their own jokes: It ruins the delivery.

As for the rest of it: They have no SEX. They appear to have GENDER. There is a significant difference between the two and they are not interchangeable. One has to do with what lies between thighs. The other lies between ears.

A robot without a physical sex or a mental gender would likely be identified as male or masculine, possibly androgen, and completely accepted without hesitation. The Mechari aren't made to look "Human" to any real degree.

MAYBE you could get away with saying that about the males:
    [​IMG]

Most have two eyes and a mouth... But the Females?

[​IMG]
    Top Row 4 and 5, Middle Row 1, 4, and 5. They lack human-like characteristics. They don't all have two eyes or a mouth and Middle-4 doesn't even have a face-plate to represent flesh: Just a gaping eye.

So in several cases their faceplates don't even look REMOTELY human and they're 9 feet tall.

[​IMG]

To me that doesn't sound like a race of sapient-synthetics meant to "Blend In" with a society that usually tops out around 6'5". No. The Sexual Dimorphism of the robots isn't there to blend or to make it easier to accept them. Especially not in a universe where the Chua exist as a race with no sexual dimorphism. Why do they look male and female? Probably because they've got gender-specific programming.

Why have they got gender specific programming? Probably because they existed in a society as sapient synthetic intelligences with emotional understanding and saw in social gender roles elements of themselves that they identified with which lead to modification of their form. Possibly before they ever met the Cassians and while still serving the Eldan directly.

-Rachel-
  6. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

It could be she's doing a playback which was previously scripted, which means she would have to say "class dismissed." Also, she can "emulate" humor, but not "have" humor. There's a robot that's been made that tells jokes, and based on audience feedback it tells jokes more or less like the ones it's told. It even has the ability to determine comedic pause. (http://www.ted.com/talks/heather_knight_silicon_based_comedy.html Caution, may contain somewhat offensive jokes, I don't remember.) Are you saying that this robot would have a sense of humor? Or is it simply a database of jokes which has the ability to learn what an audience likes and go off of that?

Either way it's programmed or built. The only "real" anatomy is what's between the thighs as you said. Doubting Mecharis were built with any genetalia... that'd be awkward and weird...

They're made to look "humanoid" (Bipedal, two arms, with a head on top and a torso) which is EXTREMELY important to being part of society. Once robots got faces, that's when people start becoming attached to them, especially faces that show emotion. This is especially important if you want your interrogations and interviews to go well with intelligence spies. Think about it, if you have something without a face, then you have to rely on things like fear usually as the interrogator, but if you can show empathy, you can get information you may not have been able to otherwise. There's an importance in interviewing and interrogation that is to keep your subject open and talking. Try talking to an inanimate object, and see how long it lasts. It's been shown that robots with faces can greatly improve interactivity with them. It does not mean these robots are sentient.

Actually if you look at the skull of each of these they're pretty humanoid. Let's also not forget boobs, two arms, two legs, and a torso, not to mention a vertebrate. These are all humanoid features. Let me show you some pictures of actual women and see if we can draw similarities.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for the big finale on that one! A woman with "one eye."
    [​IMG]

Obviously she's not a woman with one eye, but if you didn't know what a woman was or what they were supposed to look like, that's what you could assume.

"Q: That sounds ominous. So you're a Mechari! I didn't realize they made robots quite so...shapely.

A: Rest assured, your reaction is perfectly normal. It merely confirms the effect of an appealing physique on those of diminished intelligence. Such as yourself." http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_meet_the_mechari.php

Carbine begs to differ... It's meant to be appealing, therefore for spying and interrogation, their number 1 priority. They are engineered to be appealing.

Or... because they were built in the form of their makers, and engineered to be appealing enough to interact with friendlies, (so they're humanoid) but intimidating enough to protect or get information if fear is necessary (so they're 9 feet tall). It's the same thing engineers are doing with robots these days, giving them faces, and the ability to reflect facial expressions and tone and some ability to learn words so that they can interact with humans. Robots can emulate emotions, that doesn't mean they have them.
  7. Steampunkette

Human beings are computers. We take in data and we make assumptions based on that data and regurgitate what we consider to be the solution.

A true AI would be no different. Capable of taking in and spitting out inferences and identifying emotional reactions based on previous experiences.

Yes. Mechari are Robots. They are programmed. They also learn from their experiences. This means they're just as intelligent as any human. What is it about this pattern recognition feature that makes it so different from emotions?

I think you'll find the Mechari are about as varied as any other species. Especially once players get behind the wheel.

-Rachel-
  8. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I'm hoping your kidding here. You're just imprinting your own emotions onto something that appears to have emotion.

Let's take... this emoticon :) is it happy? According to your argument, it is, because it's making a smiling face at you. Emoticons come in a variety of types as well depending on what browser you're using, the web page, the e-mail system used, what you're looking at it from.

Also, of course each Mechari is different, it's called iterating. Each time you make something you try to make the next one slightly better. Also, have you looked at any 2 people's personal computers? UI's are completely different, even if they tend to use similar OS's and programs. Someone will like a cat background while others like an abstract art background on their desktop. Same thing with an engineered robot, depending on their function, they will be given more/less character and sets of programming. If they're smart, they're all linked to a cloud computing datacenter that compiles all their collected information so they can get better analytics.
  9. Steampunkette

An emoticon is an image. Not a sapient being. What is a sapient being? Typically we require that it be self-aware, capable of communicating complex thoughts, and capable of inferring an answer to a problem which leaves out information. Emotions aren't a part of that. Sapience, however, is the difference between a dog and a human.

And, really, what are emotions? Nerve impulses and chemical reactions, nothing more. There is no magical secret about them that makes them more "Real" than any other electro-chemical reaction. A Dog can be worried, sad, agitated, happy... But those things are, again, just electro-chemical reactions tied to instincts and assumptions. One of those things is no different from baseline programming: Instinct. And the other is inferral, which Mechari already have.

There is no functional difference between a robot thinking it feels emotions and a human "actually" feeling emotions.

There are some that say emotions are tied to the soul, or come from some mystical source or another. But, in truth, no sufficiently advanced technology is distinguishable from magic, depending entirely on the perspective of the viewer.

Once a synthetic intelligence reaches actual intelligence and sapience any distinction between it and a human is ephemeral assumption, nothing more. Welcome to the world of the Existential Crisis.

-Rachel-
  10. Steampunkette

11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

The difference is, the robot isn't thinking it's having an emotion, while a dog does. A dog is capable of emotion, it does have happy, sad, scared. Robots are engineered to do so, by human hand. It's not an "electro-chemical" response, it's a response given by thought to give the illusion of an emotion. In human terms we would consider this "sociopathic" in the inherent lack of emotion, but still tricking others into thinking they have emotion. If a person gives a sad face or a happy face because that's what they're taught, it's not an emotion, it's a defensive mechanism that their mind has told them to do, even though they don't feel the feelings.

There's a HUGE difference between "actually" feeling emotion, and simply going through the motions. Robots can be taught to emulate emotion, they can't be taught to feel emotions. Emotions are not at all related to intelligence, in fact, a lot of people with lack of emotion are incredibly intelligent, and people with a distinct lack of intelligence are full of emotion. Robots are sociopathic humanoids at best and cannot feel love.
  12. Steampunkette

How can you tell there is a difference between feeling an emotion because of electro-chemical reactions based on generations of evolution and experiencing an emotion based on programming? From the perspective of the person who feels it: What is the difference?

What is the difference between feeling bliss because you're happy and feeling bliss because you've taken a drug? The sensation, not the situation. Which one feels "Real" and which one feels "Fake"? Can you honestly say that what you feel in each of those situations is the same as anything anyone else in the same position feels?

You say that it's different, but have no frame of reference as to how it would be different in any meaningful way. From the perspective of the intelligence feeling that emotion it would be just as real as any emotion you have. Whether it's told to feel sad because of an algorithmic equation or a chemical reaction the result remains binary: The person involved feels one way or the other.

I apologize to anyone in the autistic spectrum who I might be offending or upsetting with this angle of discussion. Just trying to get a point across.

-Rachel-
  13. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

But it's not a feeling of emotion, it's a trained response. It's a pavlovian response at some point that sociopaths who integrate and hide in society will smile when they should be happy, because it's what a normal person would do, or put on a facade of being sad when something bad happens. This is what the Mechari are doing, they're simply engineered to give a response which the other person perceives as empathy, but they're just using it as a tool.

The side effect. But again, that's based on a "feeling" of bliss. Robots don't have feelings, only the appearance of feelings and emotions. They're just acting.

...The side effects. Also... Robots don't have feelings. Robots will not be sad if you shut down their "friend" unless you've told them to do so in their programming. It's simply because they're intuitively put together by someone else, and they have been engineered to do the things that make them look like they're having these emotions. You can put a smile on when you're angry or sad, but if you're angry or sad, your smile looks different from when you're happy. If you were able to fully control each little muscle in your face, you would then be able to have a perfect appearance of happiness, in any emotional state. It wouldn't mean you're actually happy though.

The difference is Mechari are sociopathic, emotionless, humanoid actors, they don't have actual feelings. They simply do what they have to in order to create the easiest path to strengthen and protect the Dominion. Think about the Chua lore, the Chua made the Mechari corrode for weeks after giving them a huge gift towards their entire civilization. The Mechari did not crush them under foot at that point, because they were rational and not angry and instead eventually got them to join the Dominion. If the Mechari could "love" they could also "hate" and if you gave someone a huge advancement to their civilization and in return they gave you a flesh eating virus (on purpose) would you say, "Well clearly you're worth having in my alliance, and this is in no way disrespectful." If you did, would your entire civilization say the same thing? It is because of the Mechari's rational need to have Chua that the Dominion accepts them, because they're the intelligence, the Cassians listen to them and trust them and probably fear them, just a little bit.
  14. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

I really believe discussions on the metaphysical behavior of robots belongs in another thread. This thread as I have said is solely about character customization. I would appreciate less derailing in my thread, thanks.

That being said, I am still hoping Carbine reveals a video about character customization options if there has been any changes from the one previously released.
  15. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I'm trying to make this sound as polite as possible.

I think once a thread goes past the first page on "Does anyone know the customization options?" it's been derailed, being it's a one post answer. That was the video.

But I don't think there's a strong argument that there should be vast amounts of body differences or not. The argument has been gone over (with women's stuff which is a taboo topic) and basically it boiled down to, there should be some sort of body sliders, but nothing crazy to both respect the wishes of the artist, as well as appease the audience, and to keep the graphical design of armor and chances of clipping and visual aberrations low.

Also, I don't think they really need a video of all the customization options, that's half the fun of first getting into the game. A couple sentences on the body options are all that's needed at this point.
  16. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

@Blindsear: If you feel the need to discuss the metaphysics of robot behavior, feel free to start a thread on it. This thread is about character customization. Thanks.

Hopefully, I can say this as nicely as possible as well since you were so thoughtful. If anything is to be explained successfully in only a couple sentences, you wouldn't post half a page long retorts longer than a couple sentences.
  17. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

After reading the background lore on the Chua, Mondo Zax, it doesn't appear the ear rings are necessarily a type of slave tag. On the other hand, he mentions being "installed" aboard a research vessel which denotes possession or authority over him involuntarily.

At any rate, if the ear rings are not slave tags and irremovable, I am hoping for some variety of different ear rings at least.
  18. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

this is late and im about to go to bed but arent they an artifficial inteligence or some thing........goodnight people sey you by the afternon....-yawns-!!!!!!!!!
  19. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Because your slaves get to pick out their clothes.

Edit: Sorry misread that last bit. It's unlikely if they're tags as in animal tags that they would be customizable. Simply have a number and an RFID chip in them and that's all. No reason for scientific research to get all pretty on biology subjects.
  20. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

True enough Blindsear, the Chua aren't exactly kajira. If the Chua do have Masters, they certainly don't seem to splurge on decorative jewelery.

Which brings me to wonder if the Mordesh skin coloring and medical equipment are static or able to be changed as well. Because I am curious if there is a hard line where lore restricts customization in some areas.