1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Choose your path!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by souper, Aug 17, 2011.

?

Which path do you choose?

1. Soldier

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Explorer

24 vote(s)
    45.3%
  3. Scientist

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. Settler

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

For now explorer although, still not enough info for me to "really" decide. Im a collector by nature and tend to go way out of my way to obtain things considered unique. Whether these are meta-physical things like gear and vanity items or things such as titles or even perfecting a unique skill most people dont bother with, whatever path most reflects this is the path I'll take.
  2. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

Gamestar.de was bashing the paths hard, but they haven't understood how they work sadly.

"the idea of let the player play as they want to reminds us a bit about the bartle test and could choke the game play"
    "While the explorer has to dodge landslides, the soldier has to kill waves of monsters, the last one is so huge it would be a raid boss in another game, juwt its threat is tiny"
    " ... cool featuers as in warhammer or rift we won't be able to find in wildstar ... "
    "no worries, the chosen path will not matter if you can kill the monsters on nexus ... but the real cool monsters will only be seen by the soldiers ..."
    "one thing that carbine does right are the fights, we get boni to doge to the front or back ... but carbine you can also doge sidesways and get no bonus ... we know, because we tried it"

:D I mean WTF :D They understood nothing.
  3. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of all these "all encompassing" reviews, on a product that has only just been announced. It seems, to my eyes, the Apex of Arrogance that any outside source can sit and pontificate about the overall gameplay and mechanics of Wildstar based on, at most, some limited gameplay at Gamescom.

The more I read all these Negative Nelly reviews, I can't help but feel the internet is positively filled with self-possessed "Comic Book Guys" that are all willing to take *whatever* title is currently "hot", andpronounce like some "Pope of Gaming" whether a game is or is not "worthy". Kinda makes you wonder what their personal bias is motivated by.

[​IMG]
    Foxentist, Ekhael, starspun and 2 others like this.
  4. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Ha! So true, Autumnal.
    I have been reading a lot of garbage from the mmorpg.com forums about WildStar and the opinions being thrown around as FACT is just mind boggling! Not only are their "facts" wrong... but the fact that virtually none of them even played through the demo and says it's "Fail" really makes me wonder what their basis is.

What's that old saying.... Don't knock it, til you've tried it?

As if this would ever apply to anything on the internet at this point.
    starspun and Autumnal like this.
  5. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Far too many internet-based "reviewers" are narrow-minded "hardcore" gamers with a single standard for gameplay: "how quickly can I one-shot another player?" They don't know how these games are made and they don't understand the fundamental differences between an MMO and their favorite console game. Their logic being that if they can beat up on newbies with Call of Duty 4 and XBoxLive, they should have the same freedom in each and every multiplayer game on the planet and all with the near-cinematic quality of a technically finite console.

Personally, I ignore these "experts" completely. They seem to believe that if a game can't remove WoW as the largest, most profitable game on the planet then it cannot be profitable at all. Clearly that is not the case.
  6. ImmortalExile

Brotoi, I agree with you.
    I tend to disregard the reviewers entirely. I have to play to know if I will like it or not. I've attempted at least an hour in quite a few titles, and some of them actually got better over time- (Age of Conan).

Unfortunately, I fear that now, far too many people expect that a successful subscription count is upwards into the millions, when the fact is a game with 300K subscriptions is by all accounts successful.
    Maybe it's not the numbers that WoW is, but WoW is an anomaly.
    Let's also think on how many, well, idiots, are going to be swayed by an online opinion? Too many.
    So, I do fear that WildStar's success could be hindered because of these "experts" and their reviews for a game that they haven't even given the light of day- it's an MMO and has a lot of color- definitely a WoW clone. /rolleyes.
  7. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

Well, I like to read reviews, sometimes even biased <REDACTED> reviews. I can understand that Wildstar atm is just another MMO, many of the features are still in planning and we haven't really seen a lot yet. I jsut try to think positive and write a bti now and then about it to show presence. I am so curious how the game will evolve, after all there is still a lot of time before it is getting close to launch.

Edit: forgot this
    Wildstar is still far ahead, when SWTOR has battled Guidwars2 and the next WoW expansion, then wildstar might be exactly what people are looking for. When these overhyped games aren't as cool as they seem now. Don't know about SWTOR, but GW does not seem to have end game content,wow is already growing old for their fans. Sure a enw expansion will bring some people back, for a time ... then it is all the same old. Maybe Wildstar will then hit the hole created by those big ones. Something fresh.
  8. Guerulent

Guerulent New Cupcake

Ukraine, Kharkiv Region, Kupyansky District
    The Killer motto: "No enemy left standing!"
  9. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I vote explorer.

I really like to run around in the world and look for cool places or objects.
  10. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

I'm leaning towards the Scientist path as I'm a sucker for knowledge and wisdom.
  11. Autumnal

I call "Geek"!

( I know, I know, "Aurin in Glass Warrens should not throw stones.")
  12. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

All of us here are forum rats raving about a pre-alpha MMO with sci-fi/fantasy pretensions featuring rock-based humanoids and bunny girls. I'd said the "geek" label pretty much fits every single one of us and that's a good thing because only a genuine geek would have the perception and intelligence necessary to appreciate the amazing quality and powerful innovations of the yet-to-be-completed masterpiece that is WildStar! :cool:

(...or something like that, anyway.)
  13. Mads Bodin

Mads Bodin New Cupcake

Can't say with 100% garanti but I think I'm a explore kinda guy :)
  14. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I am interested in both explorer and settler, both have paths that interest me and fit the way I play. Scientist might also be fun, but I will have to try the other 2 paths first. Of course, if I get so hung up on building and farming I might never get to a scientist. :)
  15. Foxentist

Foxentist New Cupcake

I'd likely be a Settler! They focus of socialization, and that's just what I love to do. Also will likely fit my healer best. I am supportive of socializing, and I am supportive of my team. :3 Of which I must comment I am surprised at the number of other people who are healers/group support! I also agree with Nonsensicles that Settler feels likely more RP oriented than the others, and I :inlove: RP games with others.

Aside from Settler; Scientist reaches a very, very close second. I'm with Celsus on the hunt for wisdom, being a philosopher by nature!
    Autumnal likes this.
  16. ImmortalExile

After hearing that the Soldier path allows you to create these sort of Public Quests... I'm really starting to wonder what would be best.... I love Public Quests! If I choose NOT to be a Soldier, I'll be looking to friend one real fast so I can partake in these events.

Gah! Damn you, Carbine and your making me question my favored playstyle.
  17. Autumnal

Yeah, I do like the idea of inter-dependences, where each path has something to offer for the benefit of the other paths. "Playing alone, together", just got more interesting. Thank you, Carbine!