1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Circles and how they will impact Community (theory)

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Steampunkette, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

So here's the thing. Long before WoW became a thing, developers understood an intrinsic portion of massively multiplayer gameplay would be community. And thus the first Guild system was born to accommodate players joining together, helping each other, and generally fostering a feeling of friendship as a group of friends playing a game, together.

It worked fantastically. And since then there have been countless minor and major revisions to the concept which have further opened the option for players to join together. Looking for Guild pages, guild level progression, and mentoring functions have all lead players to team together in tightly knit groups. Raiding guilds and PvP guilds and RP guilds further separated specific functions to allow players to attach themselves to their favorite aspects of the game and develop a powerful sense of community.

However, one thing has stymied guild development, I feel, throughout the course of it's evolution to where we are, today. The Exclusionary nature of guilds means you can be either an RPer OR a PvPer. A Raider or a Casual. And joining a guild which doesn't match your specific playstyle leaves you out in the cold a lot of the time as the people who are more focused on one style of play ignore the other styles. Admittedly, hybrid and casual guilds which function as a loose alliance of different players and are accepting of all the major playstyles exist, but they tend to be cliquish places where the different groups divide the guild amongst themselves. RPers over here, PvPers over there. Things of that nature.

Few if any games have pursued the idea of players joining multiple guilds. Or wanting something different from the guild they're in without /gquitting and joining up somewhere else for a few weeks before returning. Guild Systems tend to be a binary proposition with players either existing within a guild or not being in one at all. This is what makes Circles so absolutely bloody brilliant.

Using the Circle System, or any system which allows players to group themselves into multiple organizations simultaneously, will allow players to be in an RP guild and a Raiding Circle at the same time. No longer must they deal with their guild fracturing upon cliquish lines or the crackleture of verisimilitude because one of the Raiding guildies drops in on the RPers completely out of character. No, with Circles you can utilize discrete rosters of people, interact with multiple social circles, and still identify with a powerfully focused primary guild, reinforcing a feeling of community while also vastly expanding the communal pool of players.

With Circles, a Roleplayer can join a dozen different RP groups, some of which are anathema to his own guild's concept and keep in contact with them for events or updates on the scene while chatting up a friend in her posh floating mansion. A Raid guild member can get updates on Raid Night while queuing for combat with members of a PvP circle half an hour before go-time on the newest elder game content. And while in that raid read up on the PvP circle chat about how his friends are tearing through the Dominion in a BG without spamming his raid-group's chat with tons of guild-channel messages.

Circles are, without question, one of the finest advancements in community-focused communication and connectivity since the invention of Sidekicking in City of Heroes.

-Rachel-
  2. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

I bet most people will agree with me here. The last mmorpg I played for a length of time, GW2, I created several mental circles. In each of these, I would know people interested in running certain dungeons, people willing to join to help anyone out, people who wanted FoTM, people who just hang out and chat in guild - without really doing anything :) , within that same guild group - people who talk rubbish :D, and my inner circle of people I always talk to!

Actually having the option to list certain people in a game defined circle, instead of keeping a mental tab, will be a refreshing change. Of course this is assuming one may have invisible circles for the negative parts, instead of ignoring them entirely!
  3. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

well, it won't be a dozen - it'll be 5 - since that's what Carbine has said so far. Maybe a dozen across 2-3 characters, but not on one character.

But you've hit on what I've been trying to get people to understand since they introduced "Circles" it's an improvement on what GW2 tried to do where you could join multiple guilds - now you can join one guild and 5 circles and still talk to ALL of them at the same time - no need to switch which guild you're repping to talk to each group.
    Ianpact and Extatica like this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Don't you go forget the Warparty ;)

I myself 2 find this an improvement, and things like this can make communication so much easier :up:
  5. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

Does anyone know if custom chat channels will be in Wildstar, independent of whether or not you are in a circle?

Honestly, when circles were announced the first thing I thought was: "So, basically, what you've already been doing with custom chat channels except now it's more formalized." I definitely took custom chat channels for granted when I joined GW2....

Here's hoping that if you can only join 5 that you will be able to join a custom chat channel without joining a circle...

Or that there is also no requirement to 'rep' only one of these circles at a time, like in GW2.
  6. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

They've said elsewhere that custom chat channels will be available (though at 11:30pm I don't feel like trying to remember whether it was here on WSC, on Twitter or on IRC in #wildstar in order to track down the appropriate link). So, yeah, circles are evidently intended as a convenience rather than a replacement.

Beyond that, I agree entirely with the OP. But in my (completely unbiased) opinion, people named Rachel usually have excellent ideas and are frequently right. ;)
    Trigger and Steampunkette like this.
  7. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I'm terribly fond of the idea, and I think it's a good solution to the secondary problems that popped up in GW2 when people tried to balance membership in multiple guilds. It essentially recognizes that there are people who you might want to share a bank and assets and perks with, and other people who you don't want to be that intimate with but do still want to communicate with and coordinate with easily. It also seems to understand that not all of your friends have to like each other. That's a concept that works well in real life, and I suspect it will reduce drama in game.

It sounds like it will be a great way of letting people who have multiple playstyles keep track of the people they like to raid/PvP/RP/farm crafting materials with/whatever. I'm sure some guilds out there are equally good at everything and always have people on who are interested in any activity, but in most, it seems like the guild excels at a few things and people who like other things need to cultivate some additional friends. I also think it's a great tool for people who prefer small, intimate guilds but who are skilled enough to participate in challenging content, and on the flip side for those players who end up leaving a guild for a more progression-based one but who still have some friends from their old home.

That being said, I'm sure there will still be guild drama, because guilds are full of people. But hopefully there will be a little less angst.
    Trigger likes this.
  8. Lesh

Lesh Cupcake

I don't see circles as being different organizations, it seems more like a way to organize your friendlist. I've always been in raiding guilds and I've never done anything outside of raiding with my guild mates. We were all friends and we got along and I respect them as raiders but for whatever reason I ran heroics with my other friends (that was longer before challenges but I like to think we had the best group), and for pvp I had a different group of people, some people were friends for my alts
  9. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

My mates and I are pretty much thinking of using the Circles as an alliance system.
  10. Zyd

Zyd Cupcake

I love the Circles System, i hope Carbine takes it a step further than GW2 did.
  11. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

It sounds like a pretty versatile system to me.

Could I ask a couple of question concerning it, please?

It strikes me as a system that might strengthen the bonds between guilds that form a raiding partnership, the only interaction between the two often, in my experience, limited to raid nights only. Can this system be used to link two entire guilds in the sense you would have three separate guild chat windows? One for each guild and one shared?

Even if it can't do this it still sounds an extremely good approach. I would love to remain guilded with my friends while at the same time being part of a larger guild where raiding is possible.
  12. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry, just noticed I only asked the one question. Forgotten the second, entirely - so couldn't have been important.
  13. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

I THINK you could use a Circle like that. I don't know for CERTAIN.

-Rachel-