1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Circuit Board Crafting: Random Chips Discussion

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Gortok, May 11, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I hope yes, and I hope it can be customized by a crafter!
    Sol likes this.
  2. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I favor that. I would VERY much enjoy if every profession had a distinct tie in that made it relevant for end-game content for all players. Given how crafting is a skill-based thing and likely might be quite challenging, this will already serve to constrain the amount of high-end crafters. This makes them possibly treasured assets in guilds, and creates a new player type, the provider. Aka the person you go to when you need something you can't get anywhere else.

How could this look like?
    - Alchemist/enchanter like professions are easy. Item enhancements and buff pots are always in demand among raiders. The key is to also make longer-lasting but weaker pots for solo/group PvE or PvP
    - Cooks: Take the EQ2 model. Food governs the speed of your HP/resource regeneration. So you pretty much always wanted to have food and drink. It came in two flavors: Long lasting food with about 1-2 hour durations or more, which gave you regen and later on some stat buffs. And short term, 15-30 minute food with big specific buffs for raids and such.
    - Carpentry/architect: Relevant furniture for endgame housing, possibly tie-ins for settlers, warplot structures that can't be bought.
    - Amor/weapon/equipment makers: Circuit chips with specific stats which are commission crafted by using raid/dungeon drops (aka obtain item in dungeon, find crafter, commission craft desired chip through him), possibly even 1-2 gear slots that can /only/ be filled with crafted items, or where drops are extremely rare. That way, there is always a demand for say, augment slot items made by armorsmiths, and say, weapon systems by the weapon smith.

If crafting requires a time investment, becoming the person who really makes the highly desired endgame stuff will take effort and time, as well as skill. So not everyone will be able to produce these items. Making use of the commission crafting system also neatly allows tieing in crafting resources directly to certain types of end-game content, without requiring the crafter himself to partake in it. (Aka you can have a crafting ingredient drop as BoP from a raid, which you then take to a crafter who never raids, but who can build you something cool from that drop).

Why am I so in favor of making it relevant? I do like player driven economies, and I think a crafter could be the ideal thing that interacts with all the paths, meaning solo, crafting, 5-man, raids, and pvp/warplot gaming. They cater to people and provide many useful things, thus forming more of a community and more of a lively economy as well.
    Cross-profession crafting is also a thought worth pursuing perhaps, where certain things may require refined materials from other professions.

I think making crafting entirely optional at endgame is a quick way to make it irrelevant, because why spend hours making that perfect recipe via coordinate crafting, when people can just buy something off a vendor or something better drops off a boss? Once crafting can be replaced, you immediately enter the conflict of crafted versus vendor/drops, and the latter tends to win out.
    I think the worst example of this currently is NWO, where crafting takes an obscenely long amount to rank up, but at the same time even playing only every other day will have you outlevel your crafting efforts at speed. End-game items can be bought, thus there really is no certifiable need to craft at all.
    BonusStage, Cottonspore and Haversham like this.
  3. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, that would make a lot of sense, I really hope carbine are a few steps ahead of us and just laughing about the fact that it is already in game but they cannot tell us yet :). And if it's not in game , then get to work on it Gortok! this is game making/breaking stuff right here :)
  4. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

I don't know if the MMO community is quite ready for love making in game yet ;)

I know what you meant, I just thought it was a funny enough mistype to bring to everyone's attention :D
    Heart in the Stars and Psistorm like this.
  5. Haversham

This is my thought as well. Crafting can be just as indepth and satisfying as the single player game and it will has the potential to add complexity and depth to many other aspects of the game.
    Psistorm likes this.
  6. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

It would be my assumption that the chips themselves wouldn't have glows so much as the schematics. Otherwise, assuming chips have no level/item level restriction, they can take a glowing chip and put it into say... a hoe.
    [​IMG]
  7. MMOPapa

I agree with what you're saying here... but lets add some pizzazz to your suggestions, shall we? This is WildStar, a Science Fiction MMORPG, so instead of saying 'Potion', let's say 'Stimpack'. Instead of saying 'Enchanter', let's say 'Mechanist'. Instead of saying 'Food', let's say...

...uh...

...yeah we'll come back to that one. :p
    BonusStage likes this.
  8. Sawpaw

Hmm well I am assuming that the glow/particle effect would come from a chip, possibly on weapon ability chips, lets imagine there are 5 different weapon ability chips, that all do different things and all have a different color glow, kinda makes perfect sense to me. If your assumption means that you think the glow would be locked to the weapon then I dont see that happening at all, or at least I hope not. Also, the ability chips could easily have requirements needed to be socketed, so I don't see that as an issue either.
  9. MMOPapa

Majority of items in the game will have slots for chips, so suggesting that the glow be based on a chip instead of specific schematics? Everyone and their brother's mother would have the exact same glow you have. You would no longer be unique. Wouldn't you much rather be one of ten people with that glowing Tech Sword instead of one of ten thousand people?
  10. Sawpaw

I'm not sure how you came to
    I don't know how you came to the conclusion that everone would have the same glow, seeing as each color would be a different ability, so your saying everyone will use the same ability chip in their weapon? because that certainly will not be the case. Healers may use an ability chip that grants them a benefit to healing and that glow maybe white lets say, whereas a dps player will use some other ability that grants a bonus to dps and that glow is red. now lets say there is more than one healing or dps ability to choose from, then suddenly there is even more variation in the weapon glows you will see around.

And I would rather that everyone has a choice of what ability/glow they want to slot, and ofc the better abilitys would be very expensive to buy/craft, which would then also add to their rareness, so not everyone will be running around with a 1000 gold/credits ability/glow chip.
  11. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Haha xD - I get what you mean, yeah. I was mostly using WoW/generic terms, since there hasn't been much info for how crafting will really work. But I'm all for more wildstar-esque naming for the proper professions.
    And as for food, Carbine did want to cater to the furries, we can just call it "Noms" and be done with it :p
    MMOPapa likes this.
  12. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

love it
  13. MMOPapa

You see, you're missing the point completely and only hearing what you want to hear. Regardless of if 100,000 people use different weapon chips that cause glowing; the odds of people having the same color are greater than if the glow was attached to a schematic. Let me put it to you as simply as I can, and if you still don't interpret what I'm trying to say; I'm really sorry but I'm at a loss for words...

How many people have Legendary weapons in World of Warcraft?
    How many people know 'Enchant Weapon - Fiery Weapon' in World of Warcraft?

Enchant Weapon - Fiery Weapon is an enchantment that causes a glow. A mod chip that causes a glow that can be extracted would no different and arguing otherwise would be semantics. Why? Because just like the enchantment... you can place it in ANY weapon (as long as it has that slot type). Therefor, which one would end up being more unique? A character having a glow from a mod chip that you can find randomly in a multitude of items that anyone can extract and put in any weapon with the identical slot or a character having a glow from a unique drop that you can only get from one place a small percentage of the time? Which option would you see more frequently than the other?
  14. MMOPapa

:up:
  15. Haversham

While I don't disagree with the naming at all, I like it quite a bit, I believe Carbine has stated that there are some aspects of fantasy as well due to ESPers and Gunslingers having mysterious power origins. Now, we could make a Clarke's Third Law argument but I think I prefer to work within the confines of Carbine's stated lore at this point.

There's no reason there can't be both, right? Maybe there's a legendary-type of glow out there that you could end up getting that's tied with a weapon that would override any other type of particle effect.

But, at this point it's all personal opinion anyways. :) Personally, I've never really cared about glows, and I may even be against them in WS due to how awesome some of these weapons look.
  16. MMOPapa

That would be a perfect idea to implement, Haversham. It's just that I tire of working hard as hell to achieve something unique; and then it turns out that everyone and their cousins ends up having it. As long as say... 'Legendary schematic glows purple' and 'mod chip X glows red', I can still maintain that sense of being unique. :D
  17. Sawpaw

I'm not interested in debating which one is more unique, I was saying which one I would prefer, and I would prefer the glow being part of an ability chip rather than the weapon itself, however, I could live with either as at the end of the day I just want to see weapons have a glow.
  18. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

I appreciate the clarity, thanks.
  19. Sol

Sol Cupcake-About-Town

This. So many games forget the weapon customization and it completely bemuses me why. I know it's a little off-topic but allowing crafters to alter the appearance and even have custom enchant visuals would be amazing.
  20. CRB_Gortok

CRB_Gortok Carbine Econ Designer

I have a few notes to make.
    • Items come with Chips already in their sockets, it is up to the player to swap out specific stats, if desired.
      • It's pretty intuitive to understand that if you don't like Tech, you can put a Moxie chip in if the socket isn't locked.
    • The amount of budget points that a socket has is set by the schematic and power on the item, so the amount of stat points you get is not random, just which stats you get (not sure from your explanation if you understood it this way or not).
    • Two-Stat Chips have a flat bonus of 2 stat points on them. The non-fused versions of these chips have a required power (power is analogous to budget) on them, so which ones you can use is limited according to the power of the socket you are trying to mod.
    • Putting in a more powerful amp increases power across the board, effectively increasing all the stats.
      • This may increase the power on a socket enough that you can mod in a more powerful chip.
    • Non-Terminating positions (branch points in the tree structure) in a schematic allow you to adjust the amount of points the chip is using. This is a somewhat advanced topic that is not covered until a little later in the experience.
    Sonntam, Yakzan, Zilvoran and 3 others like this.