1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Class and race decision process.

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Genophix, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Genophix

Genophix Cupcake

Heya guys,

Just a quick question regarding how you chose your class and race. Do you choose them independent of each other? Or do you choose one and then take the other that seems to fit.

To me the Aurin look like they suit the Stalker class (as do the Draken). For some reason the Chua also look like they would suit being an Engineer (they mentioned it in the last livestream in case anyone sues me :) ).

What do you guys think? Do you do this and if so do you do it in all your games?
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Nr1 PLAYSTYLE!!!! If it aint your playstyle don't go with it!

I RP a bit, so I take it into consideration yes.

I wouldn't make a female aurin stalker though.....I think the male's are more of the stalking while the females would be more going towards the Esper class (with the weave etc.).

I also take into consideration lore before creating my perfect class (+ it should suit my playstyle!)

So I would make (ofcourse only Dominion but let's view all races this time):

Exile human Spellslinger
    Aurin female esper/male stalker
    Granok Warrior
    Mordesh Medic/Engineer

Cassian Spellslinger/Esper
    Mechari Warrior/Engineer
    Chua Engineer/Medic (surgeon of death ftw!)
    Draken male warrior/female stalker

I wouldn't make different ones (so no Mechari medic)
    that would be my choices for class/race/gender/faction combinations. Now ofcourse I would take paths into consideration aswell. but that wasn't in your question :p
    Apostate likes this.
  3. Shaal

Shaal New Cupcake

I choose the class first, then I choose the race that seems to "fit" that class. E.g. Right now (I'm not counting the engineer or medic since I don't have enough details to make an informed decision), I'm torn between spellslinger and stalker. If I choose a spellslinger, I'll be choosing a Cassian; if I choose a stalker, Draken or maybe a Cassian again.
  4. Darkace

Darkace Cupcake

I choose by armour. Im a pretty <REDACTED> (rubbish) player so like to have the heaviest armour mitgation and damage reduction / absorbtion available. That then limits me to class , then I chose a race.
    The problem with this is I tend to end up being a tank and I suck at tanking. :notworthy:

But I do have a solution - I just play drunk all the time so that I think im awesome.:D

Wildstar is looking good as I like the Granok anyway , I like the warrior class and they get Heavy Armour.
    The only thing that may change my mind is the potential Engineer.
    Apostate likes this.
  5. Cortinian

Cortinian New Cupcake

I go class first, I think you have to play something that suits your playstyle before looks come into it.

I'll be playing Stalker (I always play assassin/rogue when given a choice)

Then i'll choose a race that I think looks cool and in my head fits the class, Mordesh I think :)

Cort
  6. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

I choose my class first, then I pick up the race avalaible for that class.
    I usually choose my race for aestetic reasonsand originality. If I'm hesitating between two races I'll be taking the races that is the less succesful and will do my best to avoid THE haircut/face that everyone else is taking.

This time I believe I'm going for a Spellslinger Draken, but I'll make my mind once I got access to the game and can see my character in action
  7. Rial

Rial Cupcake

I have a couple of characters I like to play in every game, so I pick the class and race that approximate them best. It doesn't always work out, of course, and I'm forced to improvise.
  8. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Well i'm an altoholic~ So i will be having a character for ever class pure and simple. Haha.. Well not sure pure :p

But yeh i then decide which race matches which class in my opinion~ Aesthetically and lore.. and just the.. FEEL of it.. Yeh.. best way i can describe it

And i like that there aren't racial bonuses so they don't impact your class / race combos :)
  9. Sarigar

Sarigar Cupcake

I don't have a method, I just put the available pieces together until I find a combination that is particularly pleasing. My RP character concept plays into it also, i.e. what I have in mind for my Granok would not work for another race, or not as well.
  10. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

When the game has distinct roles (like WildStar does) I choose the role first and that trickles down to the rest.
    I like playing tanking / support roles, I also feel more comfortable with flesh and blood than aether and magic, so that narrows it down to class usually.

Race (and sometimes gender) is the last step, the more 'cosmetic' one, that's where I'll go with whatever I feel fits the role better (in the broader sense here not strictly gameplay) or something that provides an advantage.
    For example in a game with aimed heals I would probably pick a larger / more visible race to tank with.

Generally speaking I like the warrior archetype.
    Blood and steel, physical / melee theme.
  11. Genophix

Genophix Cupcake

Wow some really good answers guys thankyou. I think I'd be more akin to Felix, in that I'll proberly role an alt for every class at some point.

In terms of looks I usually try to do the same as you Elloa and make it look as unique as possible. Didn't they say in Wildstar you will be able to morph the look of any type of armour? Should lead to some interesting looks :)

As for me I always roll a female toon, pretty if possible but certainly no big chest or anything. Also usually a ranged caster but one with more interesting abilities than just damage so:

Wow - female Blood Elf warlock
    Aion - female Spirit Master
    GW2 - female human Mezmer

So for Wildstar it's gonna have to be female human Esper, jeez I can't wait to get started now :)
    FelixAkuma likes this.
  12. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

:eek: noooooooo............we lost another one!!!!!, could have been male aurin.......( cries pitifully:cry: )
    Genophix likes this.
  13. Genophix

Genophix Cupcake

First alt, Aurin Stalker! :)
  14. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

:eek: you have now seen the light my friend:D!!!!!!!!!
  15. DanLeMan

DanLeMan New Cupcake

I usually choose my race first since my character needs to look awesome of course lol. I don't think I'll have a problem making my characters though since the Aurin can play as all the classes I'm interested in trying out. :D
    FelixAkuma likes this.
  16. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

One good thing is at least race will not make a lick of difference in Wildstar. However its not like it made any difference in WoW either despite the lies pumped out by number crunching websites.

For me Male Aurin Spellslinger and then from there I will see what else Aurin can be that fit my preferred classes. Fallback will likely be human or Mordesh.
    FelixAkuma likes this.
  17. FelixAkuma

Great minds think alike ;)
    Genophix likes this.
  18. Genophix

Genophix Cupcake

Did you find a guild yet Felix? I know you were saying your time zone wasn't right for ours.
  19. FelixAkuma

I'm not sure which is yours? But i haven't joined a guild yet.
  20. Genophix

Genophix Cupcake