1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Class Idea - Warden

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Clowne, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

I have a feeling some kind of shield-based class will be in the game, so here's my idea on one. I might even have a picture of the Projection Gauntlet design concept within a week.

Role: Ranged DPS, Tank
    Equipment: Projection Gauntlets
    Armor Weight: Medium Armor (Upgrades to Heavy)
    Ability Resources: Generator Power, Shells
    Primary Attribute: Dexterity (DPS), Technology (Tank)

Overview: Wardens are sturdy protectors of their allies, and formidable foes on their own. Their Projection Gauntlets let them form defensive barriers and kinetic projectiles to keep foes exactly where they want them, while also staying safe behind a walls pure kinetic energy.

Aesthetics: Sticking with the signature colors the classes seem to have (orange for Warrior, light blue for Esper, purple for Stalker, and.. I forget for Spellslinger), the Warden would have green attacks, and these would be tied directly to the Shells and Generator on the Gauntlets. Shells are floating green hexagons, locking together to form barriers or being launched as projectiles. Energy attacks with the Gauntlets are also colored green. When not being used, the Shells would sit behind the cuffs of the Gauntlets, forming barriers up the arms.

Mechanics: Shells would be created over time, with a maximum of six available. The generation would be slow, but they are not expended as a resource for most attacks. Generator Power, basically a short mana bar, is used for strong attacks instead. This can be recharged quickly by expending a Shell, but that means it's not available for defensive abilities. A Shell being used will be considered depleted once it is done its task, and then will begin recharging.

Abilities: Palm blasts, megaton punches, and repulsor waves would all be forms of attacks that use up Generator Power, while barriers and active blocks would use the power of each Shell. Once that power is depleted, the core of the Shell will return to the Warden and begin recharging. Blocking and barriers would give strong defensive abilities to the Warden, but using them too much would leave him OoM for far too long. Some abilities could be used to defend allies, such as sending a shell to hover around them to block one attack, but this is not primarily a buff class. Barriers can do that job easily, but they at least can protect the Warden as well.

So, please share your thoughts, suggestions, utter hatred, or pancakes.
    Mudfin and Ayr like this.
  2. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

Awesome TownClowne I wanna play this class now dude. I can imagine the animation for this character would be super cool :)
  3. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Great concept! I'd also play that, love my defensive chars.
  4. Mosene

Mosene Cupcake

So basically Green Lantern?
  5. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I like the idea! My only concern is would it be feasible? In a game that is going to have 6 classes (yes I am aware their are 2 empty squares as well as 2 with ? so maybe 8) would a third class with the ability to tank be warranted? I like all the features you suggest though. Get rid of stalkers and add this, who needs smelly stealthers anyways? ;)
  6. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

It's like Vi as support! Awesome!
  7. Taters

Taters Cupcake

I think every class being dps with either a heal or tank possibility is completely feasible. Down side being that it sacrifices the dps-only classes which have a special role as (supposed to) being the real cannons.
    TownClowne likes this.
  8. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

First off, thanks to everyone for posting your thoughts, and I'm glad to see some support for this idea I threw together! I'm currently cooking up some solid ability concepts so there isn't just a generalization, and that 3D model is currently in the works to help you all visualize. I probably won't reply to each and every post in this thread, but if any stand out as either very important and unresolved by another poster, or just entirely silly, I will respond.

With that said, I doubt something like this will make it into the game. I was just tossing around some mechanic ideas and came up with it due to frustration with how nonsensical many tank classes are. I like playing a tank, but I also like playing actively, and I don't want to see Wildstar's great active combat system have the massive flaw of being able to just stand there and deflect bullets with your face. That only works if you're a Granok, silly. So, out of my frustration, I created what I saw as a more fun version of a tank, one that also can fulfill the tank role of protecting the party without necessarily being the one getting hit.

If Green Lantern used floating plates of solidified kinetic energy as both barriers and a power source, sure. That's really taking the idea at face value, though. I guess you can sort of see it as a tech-based Green Latern, at least it puts up barriers that are green, but that is really ignoring the potential here using the limited pallette that floating green hexes give you.
  9. Vhiral

Vhiral Cupcake-About-Town

Nice idea, I really like the concept. A strong support oriented tank seems fun.
  10. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

Thanks for the support, Vhiral. I wanted to give it those options to support without forcing it to do that.

I think there's a huge chance of that, and I support it, actually. Every class will have a solid set of skills for DPS, but it also allows every class to be a hybrid or swap their ability set so that they can fill a hole in the party. You don't have a dedicated DPS class, but you have six different classes that can pump out damage. It actually reminds me a lot of Guild Wars 1, where each class had some things they were good at, like Monks being good healers or protectors (damage mitigation buffs were more powerful than healing), or Assassins being good control and DoT characters, but all had a damage option. Some were a little more damage-oriented, which is how I see the Stalker and Spellslinger that we have, while some fit more into more traditional roles like a heavy-hitting tankish character (how I see the Warrior in both) or a supportive spellcaster (filled by the Elementalist in GW1 and the Esper in Wildstar, as I see it). We may not have a dedicated DPS class, but we do have six different flavors of it, and it makes grouping a lot easier without making everyone able to do everything.
  11. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

Warden class from Lotro, if it was beefed up to fit in this high tech world would be pretty cool!
  12. Zee

Zee Cupcake

I really like the concept.