1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Class to Path Synergy

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Benzecry, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

I wanted to create this thread to discuss information and hopes about the connections between classes and paths. What all would you like to see implemented with varying how different classes play different paths? Would you like them all to be the same? Will some paths have bigger differences than others for different classes? Such as a soldier just in all instances kills everything, but a scientist could retrieve information in different ways depending on class. Maybe mind reading as esper or hacking as engineer.

These are just the type of questions I want to discuss here and see what all of you think! Thanks for participation!

I personally want to be able to disarm traps to secret passages as a stalker - explorer. Steal maps to hidden treasures or to be able to sneak past big monsters guarding a cave. Possibilities in the endless~
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

there won't be, at this time, any difference between how paths work with individual classes - that's just too much work for something that technically wouldn't make any difference. Also - the Scientist has a Scan Bot so your suggestion about them is pointless - you send the scan bot in as a scientist to scan stuff.
  3. Benzecry

I thought it might be an interesting feature, I was fairly sure it wasn't in right now, but not completely sure. It might add just a little flavor context to classes, but you may be right of it being a lot of work for not enough benefit. Then maybe the question becomes how roleplay will be affected by the class to path combination, depending on how dedicated the rp'ers are to it. Not really a big MMO rp'er myself though I have some experience.

As for just scanbot, I would feel kind of disconnected to just having to scanbot most everything. They showed scientists adjusting mechanisms to find a secret door in the spotlight. I hope for more stuff like that then just "press E to scan."
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Carbine has also been kind of repetitive in pointing out that the Espers can't read minds. Their abilities rely more on telekinetics and giving their own thoughts shape and form.

Stabbing people with blue swords made of thought may not make that much sense. It actually would make more sense to use telekinetic abilities to speed up molecules in a person's body and cause them to burst into flame. But, then again, this is Wildstar. The is the Wildstar universe. In the Wildstar universe the swords are nuclear powered and you can stab people with your brain.
    frzn and Kataryna like this.
  5. Benzecry

I more so meant for it to be an example, but I get what you are saying. I kind of like that more from a gameplay aspect as mind reading gets really hard to explain in lore and gameplay. How can a rogue sneak up on a priest if he can read minds of people around him...or other probably more viable examples. I just was hoping for some variation in how to accomplish goals. Maybe to make it slightly different in a competitive way or rp way.
  6. Domi Dayglow

In that case I guess the best way to explain that is that mind reading doesn't translate into being omnipresent. Look at your own thoughts vs. your actions for example. Or even the things you are thinking compared with things you actually say. Look at your keyboard. Do you physically think of each action your fingers take when typing a post? No, over time your brain is actually taken some of that decision making and stored it in the nerves of your hand so they remember there they need to be for certain actions. In my workplace there are several doors with keypad locks. I honestly couldn't tell you what the codes to many of those doors are. My fingers just remember the rough position they are supposed to be in. It's not exactly a straight translation between thought and action. Your brain automatically makes shortcuts and ties them into nerves elsewhere in your body. It's where we get the concept of muscle memory.
  7. Benzecry

Does all forms of mind reading exclude the ability to pass the most primary form of thinking? I'm not much aware of all the different forms of mind reading, but I would imagine that someone could dive into the subconscious and more inner workings of the brain. Muscle memory is still an aspect of your mind, so in certain cases could it not be up for grabs if the reader knew how to look?
  8. Domi Dayglow

That also brings up the question about what if the person whose mind is being read speaks a different language too. If the mind reader has no concept or reference to that language, are they still able to read thoughts at all.

There are also a couple stranger theories out there. Like the heart storing memories. It is pretty much the only organ in the body that can generate an electrical charge aside from the pain. It also has a rather large, dedicated nerve linking it to the brain.

As for subconscious? I guess the nearest comparison we can get is dreams. Dreams only sometimes make sense to us. So, guess that would mean the mindreader would neat a bit of skill in the area to translate them into real meaning.
  9. Benzecry

Hm, it then depends what the mindreader, actually reads. Do they recieve information in the form of language, or do they simply apply the knowledge of the target to themselves. Could a mindreader learn a language by tapping into the mind of someone who knows that language?

Also breathing and many other bodily functions are controlled by the brain without any thought given, yet it is still the mind making these functions happen. I don't know how it all works, but dreams and all that is some of the things human know the least about to begin with.

It would be interesting if the skill ever developed in a lifeform. It could be as simple a thing as reading waves given off by different type of thoughts. Aggressive vs passive and what not. ... Also I think I should rename this thread to something about mindreading now haha.
    Azh Saana likes this.
  10. frzn

frzn New Cupcake

As they should be.
  11. eharper256

eharper256 Cupcake-About-Town

To be fair, it already kind of exists. We can extract alot of details from someone's 'presence'; people undergoing extreme~ish emotions also tend to have an 'atmosphere' around them that you can almost feel, and there is also the whole group mentality thing that happens in rallies and suchlike. It's hardly what media or science would classify as telepathy, but you can see it.

Also, my favourite explaination for sci-fi force manipulation is that it is nothing to do with psionics, and is actually just you manipulating nanomachines en-masse. I like to think espers are actually technomancers like that. :D
  12. Benzecry

Some people believe it exist to a larger extent than others do as well. I do agree with what you are saying to the idea of, some things can be interpreted as a form of it. Then are you a mindreader if you, per-say, become so engrossed in psychology that you can predict fairly accurately what people think and how they will think.

As for nanobots...I always love nanobots, so mind operating nanobots is drool worthy xD. I have no idea how they will want to go with it, interested to see though.
  13. Domi Dayglow

Back on the original topic, I've been thinking about which characters I wanted to play first and which path I wanted to take with them.

Then I remembered this thread and it occurred to me that the question that should be ask is Role and Path synergy. Not class.

I'm still pretty sure my main character will be an aurin esper with a strong support role for groups. The Settler path suddenly does seem like it would appeal to that kind of character. Many of the things they could build do include group buffs. Even if what we've seen are small. Such as the campfire. So, from that standpoint, I should take settler path if I want to make the most out of my ability to support a team.

A tank might be most useful as a soldier. Teams like to have tanks. They can hold aggro. If they come across a holdout point with a team, they would be able to hold the aggro as the encounter scales to the number of people in the team. Likewise the tank gets a benefit since the team has greater DPS than they to help conquer the encounter. The more people on the team the more experience can be gained from the encounter. Soldier paths also offers experimental weapons which can help compensate a tank's lower damage in encounters.

What about the Explorer and Scientist? Between the two, I think we know less about the scientist. We know they can scan items in the world for lore. We know they can unlock certain doors to hidden paths, but that's about it. Explorers are all about getting to the unknown reaches, finding the hidden passages, and ...erm...hm. Honestly not sure after that.

I still think being a stalker, with their ability to stealth, will make explorer and scientist paths much easier in some situations. Assuming that the scanbot's scanning doesn't break a stalker from stealth.
  14. Benzecry

From what I have seen in streaming, one of those is definitely already true. Tanks are rocking the soldier path because they can most handle the missions that have waves of enemies. I would assume it is fairly simple connection for settler and support as well, but much has yet to be seen. But...that is kind of the point of the point you are making, it is binary. You kind of make the choice for class, path, and role in unison. All featured around a centralized theme you have.

You want to do support things? Be the person everyone relies on to make their jobs easier? Pick the most supporty path, class, role.. insert other thematic combinations..assassins, barbaric warriors, etc etc. I could have made it that way to be more of a "How do you plan to play?" kind of deal, but I was more so wanting to see what people thought -could- be a way classes do things differently. I personally feel that even if it doesn't practically mean anything, making the classes have a different feel to a certain extent is very important. Thus my desires for the thread lay more in the realm of theorycrafting instead of practicality. Though it seemed for naught as it didn't gain much traction and my point of the thread seemed to be muddied at the git go.
  15. Domi Dayglow

Benzecry likes this.
  16. Benzecry

17. Domi Dayglow

It's what let me decide that I should make my esper as a scientist. I would like having the ability to open a portal to the capital city or teleport people across zones to me. I'll never be lonely!
  18. Benzecry

I enjoy the parkour and exploring stuff so I was going to pick explorer anyway, but to have those abilities to use for jumping/exploration even for things not part of the path...just oozes joy to me.
  19. Domi Dayglow

Unfortunately, I really, really, really dislike jumping puzzles. So I'll likely never take the explorer path.
  20. Benzecry

You won't want to come to my home, I'm going to have a giant flying jumping puzzle for a yard :p