1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Classes: Weapons and Race

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Guide, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

Perhaps it will be expanded later? Also, you do get a wide variety of skills to go on your limited bar, so despite having one weapon, you get a variety of ways to use it. On top of that, there are sub-weapons, not necessarily used as equipment, but they tie into your skills. Espers have all of their cool illusionary projection attacks, Warriors have spinning sawblades and an arm cannon, Stalkers have traps like proximity mines. You just pack one main weapon. Maybe there are more, I don't know. This is just my two cents.
  2. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

The class animations are tied to specific weapon types so I wouldn't expect different weapons for classes.

Look at the Eaper abilities that essentially project her psyblade

The Stalker animations are designed specifically for fist weapons and would look weird for other weapons

Also it makes designing loot much easier
    Izukar likes this.
  3. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Really I personally don't think the limitation is too bad. The main important thing in a MMO for me is the gameplay and feel of combat. After that comes the armor sets, outfits, options for what we wear. As long as you have varied abilities, and can keep combat interesting and strategic depending in what powers you decide to buff and slot, it should be fine.

SWTOR is a recent example of each class only getting one weapon type. The trick became getting a really cool look for that weapon, but very few people ever really seemed to feel limited because you had a gazillion poses in that game. It was other problems that made SWTOR start to bleed subs after the first month, not that classes could only use one weapon type.

I mean don't get me wrong. If you asked me what I would prefer, multiple weapons or one set per class, I'd ALWAYS choose more options. The more variety we have the better! But in this case, can you really imagine a "Spellslinger" with anything other than two awesome pistols and still be a Spellslinger?

I think it's ok to be wary if you're unsure about it, but I am pretty certain when you start playing the game and see the abilities you might be surprised at the level of diversity you'll still possess. And if you still aren't sure after you play it, why... I'll eat my hat!*

*Protostar corporation is not responsible for civilians who don't eat their hats after expressing a promise to do so under specific circumstances.
  4. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Its true that there seems to be a specific weapon for a class/spec as shown per the videos. But as long as there is a bit of variety in how that one weapon can look, im pretty happy with it.
  5. Norlamin

Norlamin Cupcake

I know it's pretty much confirmed at this point, but I hate how the classes have locked in weapons, from at least what I've seen. What if I want to be a warrior wielding a hammer or axe instead? What if I want to be a dagger, or sword wielding Stalker? What if I want a rifle, instead of dual pistols for my spellslinger? I just think locking a class into a specific weapon type, really blocks off a lot of customization... it was one of my biggest gripes with TERA. I don't mind if it's the same abilities or animations, I just like different types of weapons that multiple classes can use for the visul appeal and customization it offers. I at least hope they give us a lot of different sword, pistol, psyblade, etc. models to choose from, I'd hate to be stuck having the same model across multiple swords as I level up. GW2 had this with both their weapons and armor, the whole point for getting new weapons and armor, at least for me, is to have it change and look more and more visually appealing as I level up, not be the same weapon over and over with nothing but a different name and stats.
  6. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

We've seen a lot of different models for Warrior swords thus far
  7. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

At first, I was really against the possibility of not being able to wield other weapons like 2-hand hammers for warriors, but lately something's changed. I don't know how to describe it really, maybe it's something I'm more accepting of? Or understanding? It's become less "Awww man! But I wanted that!" to "Okay, yeah I can live with this..."

Especially after the tour of the Carbine studios. No specifics, but the props team have really been out-doing themselves. I could see a huge variety of weapons that were obviously "sword" or "pistol" categories... but reeeeeeally stretching those categories in terms of appearance. I was looking at each screen thinking "I want THAT! And that! Holy cow, is that actually a pistol?" I only hope that this variety is something we get to see while leveling up and all the "really cool" models aren't reserved solely for end-game raids & PvP. That was one of my biggest gripes was being stuck with same-looking weapons while leveling through WoW, and in SWTOR it was just a choice of which color I wanted my lightsaber to be that week.
    ruff_ethereal, Liris, Ayr and 4 others like this.
  8. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

What Im seeing is mix between classic stats, like intelligence, agility that kind stuff and in the other hand we have Ability power (AP) and Im assuming there will be Attack damage (AD). A mixer between WoW and LoL stats.

I think this is the right move, I really like the Ability power option allowing you to increase spell damage. Im glad to see a stats system more understandable for everyone.
    Patrician likes this.
  9. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

Curious how the crafting break down will work with the weapon list we have seen so far.
  10. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

I feel the same, it was something I really disliked about that game. They tried to make lightsabers look different with various hilt designs but in the end you were essentially still just swinging a huge glowstick. :D

At least you could use vibroswords for some of the content, even though they looked pretty awkward in cutscenes sometimes .

I'm not really a fan of being stuck with a single type of weapon, I prefer to have the option to use an axe instead of a sword, two one-handers instead of a two-hander, etc. Even if it means a little more loot related drama because it's not completely obvious whom is a particular drop intended for.

Pretty much this. I'm hoping a wide variety of designs will still allow us to look unique. Maybe we'll even have a "transmutation" mechanic to help with that!
  11. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

This gives me a lot of happiness and I too wish that hopefully the nice models are spreadout and not just confined to the eldergame.
    Nothing amazing while leveling up but still interesting~!
  12. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Evion's post brightened up my afternoon too :)

Will be nice to not have people argue over who gets what sword in instances I guess..
  13. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

Good point. I did play SWTOR a bit, but then again Star Wars have always been about lightsabers as the melee weapon of choice. I too think the most important thing for MMO's is the gameplay and feel of combat without a doubt, without that it doesn't matter how many types of weapons you get.

I guess that proves your point further when it comes to the Spellslinger, it does ofc make sense for him to use pistols, i did not think about that when i wrote my post. I was mostly looking at the Warrior and Stalker class because those are the 2 classes i'm most interested to play atm, and i was like "pfft, ofc we can use different weapons" so it came little as a chock to me that we probably can't, in fact i'm pretty certain at this point we can't, after watching a video on a guy doing concept art for Wildstar. I saw what looked like a very decked out end game Stalker who allso was using the claws.

It comes down to preference i guess and the freedom to use something different, when it comes to weapons and gear i get really excited!
    Patrician likes this.
  14. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I will always choose more weapons. But what are you gonna do, hopefully they make combat interesting enough, and weapon skins diverse enough, to not have everyone running around with the same "Big Ass Dragon slayer sword +6" I hope you can customize the look of your weapons in a way, something most mmos dont do. If there was like weapon dyes, or interchangeable hilts you could swap out and interchangeable blades+accessories (A chain hanging from the hilt, serrated blade, glow, different shape etc...) That would be awesome and I wish a game would try something like this. I hate running around for the first 20-30 levels looking like every other joe schmo on the planet.
  15. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Weapon skins can do a great deal to diversify visual customization while retaining class limitations.
  16. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Just as indicated by several others when it comes to weapons I generally prefer more options; however I can say I'm not overly concerned about having one primary weapon per class. As long as there is a good deal of variety I will be happy.

Edit: I am curious why Carbine would choose this from a design point of view. It's not like they are doing it to cut corners or anything.
  17. mge_br

mge_br Cupcake

I agree, in GW2 you can pic more them one weapon for each class, but that dint keep me from gueting bored and quiting
  18. Saza

Saza Cupcake

I'm actually a fan of one weapon per class. I have been playing Tera and I think it works really well for the game. I can tell which class I'm walking up on very easily and loot distribution is very clear. Raiding in WoW on my daggers only rogue made me hate sharing weapons with classes that can use them, even if they don't get as much from them. I haven't been bored of my warrior in Tera because she only ever uses twin swords, especially since I can find different looking skins to switch things up. It is the ability to choose to use those swords to block or stab thirteen times while debuffing that makes it interesting.

I am a fan of the limited weapons in Tera and I loved how the limited ability bar worked for GW1. I'm looking forward to seeing both of these together.
    ruff_ethereal and Goreshank like this.
  19. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Haha same

@Saza

That's a great point. It certainly would simplify loot distribution. No more hunters rolling on everything that looks cool!
    Saza likes this.
  20. Saza

Saza Cupcake

Hunters kept taking the pretty daggers, sad times.

There is another thing I really appreciate about weapons in Tera that is tied to the one weapon per class mechanic (I just realized I was assuming it will be the same in Wildstar though I have no reason to). Weapons drop paired the way the class uses them (twin swords is one item even though it is two swords). So dual wielding classes don't need to get lucky on drops twice to upgrade both their weapons. Also a dual wielding class doesn't get more crystal slots on their weapons to give it an advantage over using only one weapon (though there are other ways to do that besides having two swords be one item).

I personally like the items dropping as one because I always like to have matching weapons when dual wielding. It does make it so you can never have two different swords or change your shield without also changing your lance.

I'm curious which people would rather see in Wildstar. Dual wield weapons are always paired together as a set, making it the same to upgrade both weapons as it is to upgrade a one hander but forcing all dual wielders to have matching weapons. Or would people want to freedom to have mismatched weapons if they like but have to spend more time upgrading their weapons compared to single weapon classes.

This is assuming there are any non "dual wielding" classes because it might be that a warrior or stalker need to upgrade secondary weapons in a way that can be paralleled by a spellslinger needing to find two pistols. From what I have seen I think that the arm cannons or mines mentioned might be abilities you can put on your action bar rather than weapons that are dropped and equipped but I might be wrong.
    ruff_ethereal, Hope and Goreshank like this.