1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Classes: Weapons and Race

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Guide, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

If I end up playing a "dual wield" class in Wildstar, I would really prefer if weapons came in sets, like in Tera. I definitely wouldn't miss having to get two of the same weapon (that just never seems to drop), then having to upgrade/enchant both of them, while most other classes are fine with just a single staff, rifle or a two-hander.

Also, two identical weapons look way better than say a sword + a mace. :)
    ruff_ethereal and Saza like this.
  2. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

I agree that two identical weapons look better, and its probably easier to balance if a dual wielding weapon takes up one item slot, or is one item is what I meant by that. Same number of gem slots and all that and no awkward stat balancing or enchantment configurations or the like. I do not mind it as long as theres a cool way of customizing your equipment, like I said earlier I hate looking like everyone else, especially when it comes end game time and all the high end players are wearing the same gear.
    ruff_ethereal and Saza like this.
  3. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Found this for anyone that wanted to hear more info, not anything really new but he does a good job of going over the classes.

Azzurri likes this.
  4. Jaxom

Jaxom New Cupcake

Hope, while I agree it makes it easier to balance to gear out, it does retract from making you look more unique. I'm currently enjoying Tera as a filler for now (since it's free and all). I currently play a Lancer and while it's nice that my Lance and Shield come as a package, I wish I could mix and match between the two.
    Saza likes this.
  5. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Mix'n match for me as well. I'm a weapon adict, the more the merrier, the harder to get, the more satisfaction I get when I finally do obtain them...or, on quite a few occasions, end up with massive frustration when they just won't drop lol. Ok, so I could probably skip the massive frustration part. Meh, why can't I have it both ways? :p
    Saza likes this.
  6. Minjin

Minjin New Cupcake

I think they are going to have enough of each weapon type in the game spread throught all of the levels so that you can get a sense of "Oh George, even though we are the same level, your weapon looks awesome, and so different from mine." That is my hope atleast. I know in games like Tera, or even Swtor it was hard to make yourself stand out really while you leveled, and for the most part at high level because everyone had easy access to just about every weapon look in the game, for their class.

Games like WoW have had years to add content, and with content comes many more weapons and armor, and i understand peoples want, or need, to have that level of content for armor and weapons from new games. I just hope people do not get their hopes up too much. I have a feeling you will all, same classwise, look pretty close to the same til later in game or even at elder game.
  7. Alverad

I'm not so much fussed about looks at low levels rather the fact the a new weapon ads another aspect to playing your class.

In WoW, swapping between daggers and maces on my rogue was a huge game play alteration, and it was fun; casters only had stat sticks and I did miss the freedom of choice I had on mele characters .
    Well, right until they nerfed the impact of your choice, stopped releasing new models of certain weapons altogether and dumbed everything down beyond belief lol.

In GW2, the weapon based ability system is awesome as well.

I'm sure whatever Wildstar has in stock will prove to be fun regardless of whether it resembles other games or not, that doesn't mean having the variety won't be missed or can't be hoped for :p

I am probably weird, but I even liked the fact you had to level your weapon skill before you could do max dmg with it - still remember calling bio breaks in Kara, so the casters could go 'happy mashing' the mana wyrms to level their staves, even though it was absolutely unnecessary :D. Or getting an awesome sword on my rogue, and not realizing until boss was down that well, I did not contribute to that fight much, not counting a dead critter.... Fun times;)
  8. Izukar

Izukar New Cupcake

I think assigning each class a single weapon type makes them more iconic. When you see someone shooting dual pistols you know its a spellslinger. One thing I didn't like about WoW was the lack of visual differentiation between classes, especially at low levels. A warrior and a paladin with two handed swords would look identical. End game tier gear was just about the only thing that could make you look like your class. Wildstar's approach gives each class a very distinct look and feel and that's the kind of thing that draws me to a class and keeps me playing it.

Another thing I noticed was in the screenshot on the first page of a psyblade stat window. It didn't just have speed and damage but also an equip effect that reduced a certain ability's cooldown. That's the kind of thing having class specific weapons allows for and personally I'm excited to see more of it. :)
    ruff_ethereal and Alverad like this.
  9. Alverad

That I can't but agree with. Don't have to like it, but it's true :D Funny really, having played primarily casters across many games where weapons were mere stat sticks, I have a strange craving for a whole arsenal when I do play a mele character or some form of physical ranged class. Seems completely irrational really when I think about it :p
  10. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I can't help that I adore variety. I loved GW2's weapon system. I can understand why it won't work for WildStar. Spellslingers cant be spellslingers using a rifle, bow, etc. Unless they give them a single pistol playstyle. There has been concept art of a Draken dual wielding swords, but doesn't say much.
  11. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I meant can't in my last post. Spellslingers "can't". Dammit
  12. Aheadache

"CRB_ClynchCombat Systems Lead 6 points 21 minutes ago

Yes, we have currently limited each class to one weapon type and that is how we expect to launch.
    Some pros of this decision include:

• The animators only have to focus on one weapon type per class which allows them to deliver unique high quality animations for each of the class’ abilities.
    • Our classes work with a Limited Action Set system, and we felt that further restricting your abilities by weapon type would be a little bit too “restrictin"
    ruff_ethereal and Izukar like this.
  13. Loveless

Loveless Cupcake

/cry Well, lets just hope for as few reskins as possible on the weapons.
  14. Alverad

Hm, while I can understand the resources bit, especially inititally, everyone is on a budget nowadays, the second statement doesn't make much sense to me? How would it be limiting? Action sets seem to be a similar solution to what GW2 bases on weapons, only based on abilities or whatever else we don't know about, having more weapons would only allow for more variety.

But then again, it may all come down to what is feasible to do at present time, given set amount of resources. I'm a hopeless optimist, maybe that will change at some point in the future ?:p
  15. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Don't like at all, and the 2nd reason makes no sense to me.
  16. Aheadache

I had a feeling this was going to happen when they listed the one weapon.
  17. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Apparently I missed this earlier on. I'm sure others missed it too, since I am sure no one thought that would be a possibility.

I wish I could really express why, but this is so disappointing to me.
  18. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

It makes sense in the context of say GW2 where each weapon has specific skills. Say I prefer to use two handed swords because they look cool, but am forced into using hammers or some other weapon because of a utility useful in raiding/pvp/insert scenario. I would see this as a restriction.

With one a weapon system I personally think it's success relies on lots of aesthetic options (skins and whatnot). Who's to say your tech-sword has to look like a sword. Maybe it will be able to look like a chainsaw, a sharpened tree or a Moody covered in barbed wire tied to a stick holding a sword that is made of rainbows.
  19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

This I get, but they were never going to do that, so the 2nd point still boggles.
  20. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

It's a bummer, but there will likely be many reskins that provide visual diversity. Warriors still have grenade launchers and arm cannons as part of their skill set.