1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Clearing up Misconceptions on Open World PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Bardic, Apr 4, 2013.

1. CRB_Bardic

CRB_Bardic Carbine Studios

Hey everyone! One of our awesome devs noticed a bit of confusion about how we plan on implementing open world PvP in WildStar and brought it to our (our = your WildStar community team and the PvP dev team) attention this morning. Since we want to clear up any misconceptions quickly, Aether thought it would be best if I got my WildStar Central forum name registered so I can give you all some info today.

Rulesets
    We intend to have two rulesets at WildStar’s launch, a PvE and PvP ruleset.

World PvP Opportunities on PvE Ruleset
    On a PvE Ruleset server, you may voluntarily flag yourself for PvP. In WildStar, there are some zones which are shared by both factions, in terms of PvE content. If you’re flagged, you may run into opposing faction individuals who have also voluntarily flagged themselves for PvP. If you do, I hope you both have some fun :sneaky:
    If you try to go into an opposing faction’s city, you will be automatically flagged for PvP.

World PvP Opportunities on PvP Ruleset
    On a PvP Ruleset server, PvP flagging is determined based on the zone your character is in. If you are in a zone that is affiliated with your faction, you’re not flagged…but you may voluntarily flag yourself. If you are in a zone that is affiliated with the opposing faction, you are flagged for PvP.
    If you’re in a zone that is shared by both factions, you will be flagged for PvP. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to run into your enemy in a shared zone and slay the day away ;)
    If you try to go into an opposing faction’s city, you are flagged for PvP (though, this is redundant on a PvP server, because you’re likely in that faction’s zone anyway).

Sanctuaries
    We will have areas within zones or entire zones where PvP is forbidden. These areas, called Sanctuaries, will be present on both PvE and PvP rulesets.

Objective-Based Open World PvP
    We understand the strong desire for this type of open world PvP and many of us here at Carbine enjoy it. That said, objective-based open world PvP is not currently a focus for WildStar’s launch. Our intent, as I’ve stated in our Reddit AMAA, is to see how our PvP players interact with the world of Nexus so we can focus on areas which may appeal to a Wildstar PvP player for objective play before we make a deeper investment on open world PvP.

Experience
    (Also from the Reddit AMAA, but I will also restate it again)
    You will be able to level via PvP. You can earn experience off of player kills in the Battlegrounds and through player kills in world PvP. So, there is a little bit of incentive to kill your enemy, outside of the enemy just being an opposing faction player, on either Ruleset, because he’s probably worth some XP. :)

We'll be monitoring this thread to respond to your feedback, which we welcome with open arms! Thanks for listening, everyone!
    Chronas, Nearo, CriSPeH and 57 others like this.
  2. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Pretty much what I expected very much along the vein of WoW's server system which I think is good, only thing that surprised me is PvP servers not auto flagging you regardless of the zone you are in, I found this surprising.
    Dtrain, mockingfox and Joukehainen like this.
  3. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

Is there a substantial reward for a low level player killing a high level player?

Likewise little to no reward for a high level player killing a low level player?

Will experience gains diminish for repeatedly killing the same players?
  4. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Hey Bardic, thanks for dropping by and thanks for the info ^__^.

I'm not much of a PvPer, but I'm happy to hear about these systems nonetheless ;).

I'm personally quite happy with the idea that as a PvE'er, I could explore some of the oppposing faction's areas without getting flagged for PvP unless I enter a major city :p. I wonder if Exile explorers get the same stuff to do as Dominion explorers in Deradune, for example. :p
  5. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

A thought now... Are we keeping the PvP and the PvE abilities separate? Or will we use those abilities for everything?
  6. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Okay so it's pretty normal then. Good to know.
  7. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Objective based wpvp is a double edged sword.
    1. If you add nice rewards to it, people of both factions will have an understanding and wintrade their way to easy rewards.
    2. If you don't add rewards to it, people will quickly lose interest.

Finding that balance where it doesn't encourage people to wintrade but also presents enough interest for players to participate in, is very tricky and is understandable why Carbine isn't actively trying to add such content.
    kur1, Revon and Mudfin like this.
  8. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

Pretty much what i've been telling people (atleast as far as the 'there's no intent to focus on it yet cause no one knows where people will congregate to)

Seriously... Who knew a level 28-32 zone in Nilla WoW would be the source of so much chaos and mayhem...

I'm glad to see the standard rule set for pve and pvp servers as well and i'm curious to see if these sanctuaries will have something story-wise in them that would give both sides a reason not to fight there (eldan artifacts/zones come to mind.. neither side wants em gone..)
    Afrotech, Kataryna and Rumze like this.
  9. Atreid

Atreid Carbine Studios

Hey guys,

We got an internal PvP test going on just right now (meaning, Bardic will be super busy in the next few hours). So what we will do is write down some of your questions and have Bardic answer to them. It might take a little while but keep an eye on this thread for more answers ;)
    Dtrain, Yakzan and Kataryna like this.
  10. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

While I don't know for certain, here's a very relevant quote from the Reddit AMA! :up: (it also confirms that at least SOME skills - so far only CC abilities are mentioned specifically - will behave differently)

(Would be nice to hear even more when Ms. Gordy gets the time, though! ^____^)

JarNod likes this.
  11. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

~Edit~

Answered above me, nvm. But I just remembered another question.

When you dodge in pvp (or even pve for that matter). Does it give you iframes or does it have specific hit boxes? (like, in the what is wildstar video. When the tank fires and kills all the people... if they had dodged before the shell hit but were still in teh telegraph, would they still take damage?)
  12. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

Thanks for stopping in to clear things up Jen!
  13. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

First off thanks so much for this. I am an avid PvPer (I don't know why this surprises so many people when I tell them that, either...) and I appreciate these rulesets going in.

I think the only question I have is are there any plans post launch to provide open world PvP content for BOTH rule sets depending on gathered data? For example, on my RP server we had those giant Southsore battles just like everyone else, and these kind if things can be a lot of fun for players even if they aren't on an open world PvP server.

So, I'm just curious if the post launch work will be focusing on only PvP rule sets or for all rule sets. :)
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Nice informative post.

I know folks here have been wondering how Flying Mounts play in a role like this.
    Can players kill another player, hop on and take off?
    If you're flagged for pvp are flying mounts disabled or have a long cool down?
    What are the mechanics for knocking someone off a mount (flying or not)?
    Anything else that would be helpful :)
    Kataryna likes this.
  15. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

I find that to be a poor assumption, and a poor reason not to incentivise open world PvP considering the same is possible with battlegrounds.
    wormed likes this.
  16. wormed

wormed Cupcake

Hey, thanks for the reply.

In regards to this quote, are you implying that players will not only gain experience for leveling from OWPvP/Battlegrounds, but currency for armor, weapons, etc, as well? This would be a GREAT addition to Wildstar and would promote and really make killing your enemy something worth more than just for fun. If the currency is actually worthwhile, as well, that'd just make Wildstar damn well amazing.

Thanks.
  17. CRB_Bardic

CRB_Bardic Carbine Studios

The "con level" of your killed target is factored into the amount of experience you receive. The amount of Xp awarded is also adjusted by the number of players present for the kill (# of players on the killed player's hate list and still in range of the player).
    Luciamund, Afrotech, moneda and 2 others like this.
  18. wormed

wormed Cupcake

I think 'win trading' can be dealt with quite easily. The example I'm going to use is if they incorporate "PvP currency" gains to open world kills (which I think they should). AION uses a currency elimination fail safe. So, for example, if A killed B a certain # of times within x time, B will not reward A with any currency at all. Generally for a very long period of time to ensure the players don't just go play the game for awhile and return to doing it again a few hours later.

This also promotes finding new opponents instead of just picking on the same opponent who might be out farming and doesn't have a huge interest in engaging.
  19. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

Oh man you get exp from WORLD PVP?

I just know there is going to be some bloody handed guy who never did quest one, and just killed his way to cap... I fear this man already.
    Injustice, Outlaw, Dtrain and 6 others like this.
  20. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

I'm interpreting this as WildStar having some sort of bounty/karma system where the more players you kill, the more experience you will be worth when you are killed yourself.

Is this correct?
    mockingfox likes this.