1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Closed Beta - Milestone 30 Patch Notes Released

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

well, hopefully when/if you get the game (whether it's beta or release) you'll at least give the LAS a try and attempt to like it for what it is. That's all anyone can do when Carbine/Wildstar has stated it is their intention to have an LAS, and coincidentally have designed their game around such things as this.

(EDIT: also, things I say/mean and how things come across from me on online forums seems to get mixed up or taken the wrong way at times. Hopefully you've not put me on an ignore list, as I feel that someday your points or mine, on other subjects, will be helpful to and/or agreed upon by the other, and I would hate for such an opportunity to be passed by later down the road!)
    Ninereeds and Seagrey like this.
  2. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Will replaces Magic as the primary support stat only. Magic remains the primary damage stat and Wisdom remains the primary healing stat, as stated on the official site's Spellslinger class page.
  3. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cupcake

You mean this? "Primary Attributes: Dexterity (DPS), Wisdom (Healing)"
    Strange... When I posted this, it was posted on page 6.
    moneda likes this.
  4. moneda

Ah, right. Though I do still believe Magic remains where it is and Will is a secondary attribute as ESPers' damage will be based on Magic.
  5. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cupcake

No way to know for sure till we see the character sheet from the beta... which still wouldn't mean anything definite. I think that the other stats shouldn't even be listed, considering they do nothing. Like taking will, magic, and dex off warrior's sheets. That kind of thing. Still playing an esper, though.
    Also... why would will be a secondary attribute? Every other attribute is main, and I'm betting "Wisdom" is gone for will to take it's place. They probably just haven't changed the main page yet. Because if will is the healing stat, then wisdom for espers would be... odd. See what I mean?
  6. moneda

Aahh but Carbine thought of the whole "useless attributes" thing, so there actually aren't any. One of the earlier revealed class milestones [which may or may not currently be in the game] was one called Big Guns for the Spellslinger, which gave them additional damage after reaching a certain threshold of Strength. So if you wanted to play a DPS Spellslinger Strength certainly wouldn't be what you put the majority of your points into but doing so would help in some kinda way.

Will isn't the healing stat, it's a support stat. What that means exactly hasn't been revealed but there's no reason to believe it wholly takes the place of any aforementioned main stat. It may improve both both healing and damage but in a more minor way than either Dex or Wis. Or perhaps it strengthens your CC abilities. :eek:
  7. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cupcake

I used the link, but it posts to a wiki page that has a skill that doesn't even exist any more. Not sure about the page, though. Sigil Crash was officially removed in the leaked patch.Is there somewhere I can read about milestones?
  8. Teri

Teri New Cupcake

Keep up the good work Carbine
  9. moneda

Apparently the old article introducing the Spellslinger class was replaced with the new class overview page, but here's an old press article that mentions it. This is another slightly more recent article that gave us slightly more info about milestone usage.
  10. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cupcake

I read the posts. It doesn't say enough about milestones to make any real calls at all... I hate not knowing. They said about 5 weeks between each set of invites... I hope I get into the next set.
  11. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

Just to play counterpoint here, my quickbars on my main alt in LotRO are, frankly, horrifying. None of my friends would be able to comprehend how they're set up unless they've played a champion themselves (and maybe not even then). Heck, I might not be able to explain them to you; after five years, I'm not sure I could tell what about half of the abilities are without mousing over them. I did know everything by heart once, of course, but at this point I just see a given situation and hit specific keys almost on reflex.

Conversely, in The Secret World, the fact that I can have only a handful of abilities in a given 'deck' at at a time makes me think much more carefully about what I'm doing, and periodically rethink my strategies or flip decks around to fight differently.

Both types of combat are valid, and I enjoy both games. But if the implication in these patch notes is that WildStar is closer to TSW's "think carefully about how you're going to fight and prepare your skills accordingly" than to LotRO's "HAVE ALL THE SKILLS, MASH ALL THE BUTTONS", y'know, I'm totally okay with that. :)
    Zilvoran, Ninereeds and Kataryna like this.
  12. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

Quality over quantity. The fewer the skills you can use, the more you must think how to utilize them.
    Zilvoran and Fate Flyer like this.
  13. gothikeffekt

gothikeffekt New Cupcake

14. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cupcake

I get that everyone has an opinion, but all of the ones opposite to me quote my articles so often it's starting to look like bashing. I get that you want the less options, and I also get the guy that seems to have forgotten what the abilities do he put on his own bar, but I remember what and where I put everything... and yet, I still seem to be able to think about synergy when fighting.
    My way may not necessarily be right, but yours may not be either. You want limited, I don't. If the UI doesn't allow it, but is still supposed to be completely moddable, I'll just get a "Bartender" type add-on to do it my way anyways.
    Also, moneda? I'm still looking into the "will" thing. I'm really beginning to believe the wisdom stat may have been replaced by it. Especially since the secondary stat that governs healing now would be "support power", while the main would be will or wisdom... which seem interchangeable.
    Edit: Yay! I may win! Quote from Carbine's Gaffney "The total number of combat-usable abilities will generally stay in the range that a highly skilled player without custom hardware (30 button mouse or macro keyboard or w/e) can comfortably use so there isn't too much requirement at the top end for custom hardware on raids etc." So I may get my extra bars :)
  15. Narthen

Narthen Cupcake

Have to remember SSJ, he also said they are "mucking about with it right now and they don't know what the final decesion will be". Still plenty of time for the actionbars to change.
  16. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

/sigh. He's saying players without 30 button mouse or macro keyboards can compete comfortably. He's not saying you get extra bars or 30+ abilities you can have on the bars. They've said it's a Limited Action Set - Multiple times. I'm betting you won't be able to UI Mod in the extra bars either.

please Gaffney or another Carbine clarify? can you UI Mod in the ability to have more action bars? is it a loadout switch, where you can have multiple setups to switch between out of combat?
    Ninereeds likes this.
  17. Ninereeds

Ninereeds Cupcake-About-Town

Just my unasked for opinion.

This thread has taken a turn (sometimes nasty at times) towards debating the LAS instead of the notes in general. My personal view is in agreement with Xandita, quality vs quantity. I'd rather have a skill set that I only need to use 5 or 6 skills frequently than have a character that has 30 skills I only use occasionally that I have to keep up with. To each their own, everyone has their own opinion.

As far as the notes and what they say about it I would agree with what Kataryna is saying, it will be limited and UI mods will likely not allow more bars as that would cause an unfair advantage to those players and not others.

Personally I enjoyed the limited set of skills in Diablo 3 and other games that are using this concept. It makes my skill choices more meaningful and I have to plan ahead for what I'm doing. Do I take that crowd control spell or do I need to focus on single target damage? Do I take the buff that provides elemental defense or will I need to use the skill that provides short term invulnerability? That's what keeps it fresh to me. In WoW I'll have 30+ skills and the amount I actually use in practice is very small, and those I don't use just languish in the second or third action bar out of sight because it doesn't work for my build.

Let's just try and keep in mind that at least as far as gameplay for WildStar goes all of this is speculation. I may wish to have more once I get in the game, while others my find that thier opinion of LAS wen't from dis-approval to approval. There is just too much unknown to say anything concrete.

All that said, I'm excited about the inventory system and the way crafting is shaping up. According to the notes this looks like it will be much more fun and entertaining that the other crafting mechanics I've seen.
    Kataryna likes this.
  18. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

Nah, you just had a coherent statement of that side of the discussion. Think of this as a friendly debate; you provided a good, cogent argument, so that's what everyone else on the other debate team is going to focus on addressing for rebuttal. Take the number of replies quoting you as a compliment, in this case. Or at least, that was my intent in quoting. :)

"She." ;)

Admittedly, I made that statement partly as hyperbole. But there's some genuine truth to it nonetheless; I've been playing with all my skills there for 5 years. I used to think more about synergy as I got new skills, but once you hit level cap and get maybe one or two new skills per expansion, you sort of fall into habits. I know that for a given enemy type, move X to open and build fervor, followed by move Y to break armor, followed by move Z, followed by X to build again, followed by... etc.

After a certain point, I stop thinking about *why* I built my various attacks up that way, and as a result, I stop thinking about alternatives unless I come across something which I can't defeat. And so the moves I use rarely just stay slotted on the bars until the handful of times I need them, and I don't end up thinking about changing up my tactics for the most part.

Conversely, in TSW, because of the deck limitations, I never get to fall into that level of complacency. If I want a rarely-used ability, I have to actually build a new deck containing that ability. Which means I need to think about that deck as a whole, and how I want this ability to fit into my overall combat/play strategy while using that deck.

Now, in fairness, I've never played any other 'MASH ALL THE BUTTONS' game for so many years that I fall entirely into a complacent reuse of specific cycles without considering the synergy of them anymore, as I have in LotRO; SWTOR, for instance, I still can tell you exactly how all the moves work together. And I don't dislike either style of play, so I'll probably be quite happy to play either way. But I have found TSW's deck-building mechanic where I've got lots of moves but only a handful can be active at a given time (even if I can switch around between those decks) to be refreshing, personally, so I—as a player—would admittedly be thrilled to see another game that forces me to really think about what setup I'm going into a given battle with.

Either way, hopefully we'll both find a lot to like when the game's unveiled! :)
  19. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cupcake

I can understand where you're coming from. I really only have this to add: Wildstar apparently has lots of enemies with extremely different fighting styles/move sets/telegraphs. Being as limited as you were talking about would make some of those fights rather difficult for little reason. It's a perfect example of "having a button you rarely use, but it being useful in X situation. Or (since they said in many interviews you won't be fighting single enemies often) the way you fight monseter A, C, and D is the same, while monster B, E, and F require a different skill set... what happens if you fight a combo of A, B, E, and D? What if A and E have moves that have synergy with eachother and require another move or set of moves that you don't have because of the limited choices?
    BTW, I like how you worded your post, lol. Very non-combative and eloquent.
  20. Laura

Laura Cupcake

Does anyone have an idea what the "circle" comment is about? There was a comment about the word "guild" turning up in "circle" stuff and having been fixed. Also in a picture someone attached above of a mechari warrior (Guy) there was a tab called "Circle" at the top right behind the toon. Ideas? Is that some type of friends list?