1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Collision of NPC for PvE and Collision for PC in PvP is a must!!!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

So will, the game not have Collisions for NPCs or will they during PvE content. To me that will be ultra cheesed if you can just go through characters in combat to dodge the telegraph and get behind them. Same with characters in PvP, you should not be able to run through them.

I want Collisions in the game, if not, the combat is all ready borked. Will there be collision detection?
  2. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

From all the videos released so far, no - collision detection does not exist. I don't believe it should exist but I'll let you discuss that with people who care more.
    Ianpact likes this.
  3. Gunghoe

Why Should it not exist? It would make the game better if it is there. No action game with out collision would be sucsessful NO game. They really need to implement, collisions on Mobs. And in PvP they need to have Collisions on Players. This will make the game harder, right now, if it does not exist it will be trivial to dodge stuff. Why even have the dodge mechanic if you can casually walk behind the NPC or PLAYER you are battling with?
  4. Balgoss

Balgoss Cupcake

Let's have some faith in the combat designers to make it hard enough. I trust they know more than we do on the matter. ;)
    Kataryna likes this.
  5. Cowboy Cheese

Cowboy Cheese New Cupcake

Player collision is one of the most annoying things in a MMO. If I can't get out of the way of an attack because a teammate wasn't paying attention and somehow blocked me into a corner then that would make the game less enjoyable and more frustrating.
  6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Cupcake

I see your point but at the same time see mind wrenching anger when a mass of players in a 60 man raid are blocking each other while trying to avoid boss attacks. The same would go for an arena match where you get forced into a corner by another team and are now trapped. I see just to much focus being put on that than playing the game.
    Kataryna likes this.
  7. Gunghoe

Im saying the people you are in combat with Such as PvP and the mobs your attacking, PvE....Not the team mates.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

40v40 Warplots would be a hell.....that alone should be enough to not implement it ;)
    I understood that....but that's just lame....having 1 thing in PvE and another in PvP...

Either have in it all the way or don't!

But I still say the same:
    40v40 warplots will be hell!
    Raid bosses that spawn alot of mobs will be hell!
    Malorak likes this.
  9. Gunghoe

I disagree, its a challenge that should be there.
    Witless likes this.
  10. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Cupcake

Well if it is only enemies I could live with it but yeah war plots or battleground situations like capture the flag would get crazy if the opposing team could just block an exit to a room and you then couldn't get out. Hmm idk how I feel about it. I think I would prefer no.
    Malorak and Sonntam like this.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

And I agree it will be a challenge (to play with something so anoying :up:)
    But I disagree with the ''it should be there'' part.
    Revon and Kataryna like this.
  12. Gunghoe

This will make the action combat, rather trivial and pointless.... I guess at least you are moving >_>

They should at least test it in Beta, at some point.
  13. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

Player collision detection, as far as I am aware, is quite an intensive algorithm to implement which places increased loads on the server, increases lag etc.

So, you have to weigh that against the benefits gained from player collision. Player collision is just the first step on the way to more realistic combat physics and, as far as I'm aware, no MMO has gone further down this root. for example, Wildstar is going for targeted attacks and a lot of AoE. If we are implementing collisions then, in reality, we should also apply collisions to attacks, so if you are stood behind someone then you shouldn't be able to be shot through that person (except for with big guns :) )

That level of processing simply isnt realistic for an MMO and so only player collision can be thought of. But what does it really offer? Mostly, it just offers different types of tactics and complications. To me, that is a great thing. However, Wildstar has double jump.......that renders player collision damn near useless because you can just jump over everyone. For that reason, I say don't bother in Wildstar.

If double jump wasn't in, then I'd say do it. WAR had player collision and it made for some great experiences! Tank walls during keep sieges were epic and added a really great amount of strategy to attacking and defending. A good tank wall backed up with healers could hold out against a much larger force in many cases. Collision also had its problems: collision models were too small but when you did collide, you tended to "stick" rather than "slide" past people. For example, if you were attacking a keep and took down a door, it wasn't uncommon to have 100 people try to make it through a corridor that was only wide enough for 4 people. What would happen is everyone would pile in and rather than everyone moving as a single mass, everyone would just kind of stick to one another in an unmoving blob.
    Sqwarsh, Malorak and deachem like this.
  14. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

CoughTERA
    Leiloni likes this.
  15. Vexed

Vexed Cupcake-About-Town

Nope, not happening. Don't think its a great idea as it will just get abused. Glad it's not in and won't be.
  16. Gunghoe

So you feel abused in paint ball, Foot ball, any sport in real life? You feel abused because you cant phase through an object with out a spell? I am talking about the people you would be fighting EG: PvP arenas, BG, Warplots (not open world) and the mobs you would be battling against. It is ultra cheesed especailly when dodging is so important, that you can just go through an enemy. If there is no collision, the games combat will suffer greatly. You corner yourself.... THATS YOUR PROBLEM..... WHY do all fighters have walls, you have to manage your space.... NO action game, that is not an MMO, does not have collision. There is a reason for this, because it offers a challenge you have to be aware of your direction you are going, and not kite recklessly. For me if the game will not have collisions with combatant NPC and in PvP the games combat will always have a feeling of something is missing.
  17. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

Ah, cool, not played Tera so didn't know, thanks :)
  18. Vexed

Vexed Cupcake-About-Town

Collisions are totally pointless in an mmo. There really is no need for it. Then again why is this even being discussed? It's not happening.
    Cipher likes this.
  19. Soylent

Soylent New Cupcake

Being a big fan of Tera gameplay and combat I honestly cannot imagine action combat without collision.

It just seems like a natural thing to have after you experience it.

And battlegrounds aren't really as big of a headache as you make them out to be with full on collision detection. Sure sometimes you can get blocked off by a team mate but it's just part of the charm.
    Leiloni likes this.
  20. Gunghoe

Are you trolling? how is it pointless?

and what the guy above me said, Collision works for competitive games, it'd work here.