1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Community Uplink - Healthy MMO Community?

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Fate Flyer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

[​IMG][​IMG]
    This week, Carbine has This week's Community Uplink on Twitter is being specially hosted by Arawulf's WildStar Fans! He asks your opinions on what makes an MMO community a healthy one. Respond on Twitter using the hashtag #WSUplink or reply here with your thoughts!

( Read More )
    InnocentCivilian and Kataryna like this.
  2. martymo

martymo Cupcake

Cross realm dungeon finders ruin MMO communities. There needs to be some form of accountability for players actions, but xrealm LFG totally removes any form of it. Why be polite when you know you're never going to see those people again anyways? Why not ninja loot that tank gear even though you're qued dps?

Yea, I get the idea that it will reduce average wait times between dungeons, but at what cost? When I played wow I was able to sit in the city and level my tank from 15 to 85 100% through dungeon finder. There was no need for me to leave the city when I could just insta que, and teleport directly into the instance. There was also no need to talk to anyone. I could go 5 hours of grinding dungeons without saying a word.

Xrealm LFG ruins an mmo's community, simple as that.
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I think one of the things that really make an MMO community healthy is a crafting system that matters. What I mean by that is crafting where the final items will actually be needed by the players. I still remember having many customers buying upgraded arrows from me in the original EQ because I was one of the ones who could. I made a lot of money that way. This creates a dependency on other players that not much else can replace, in my opinion of course.

So, if players can make things that players will actually want all the time this will help. This extends also to the fluff stuff for houses, etc.
  4. Lgr

Lgr Cupcake

Constant events that are "outside" the main gameplay, but yet, reward you for it, things like crafting, building an economy and making (ingame) money out of it, farming, and overall events. those things are potential for keeping the community alive, because it enforces the interactivity between its members, therefore, provideing an overall enriching and fun experience
    Dyraele likes this.
  5. Lgr

Lgr Cupcake

well, they give you the chance of using it, yet, you couldve go out questing (which is prety fun since cataclysm), yet if you chosed to use the LFG tool, that means, in theory, that you enjoyed it more than go questing, so its not that much of a problem, since in MMOs the community that needs to be alive, its the top level one, the one that spend the time organizeing pick ups or helping low levels or something along those lines
  6. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

I don't share the oppinion, that crossreal LFG is destroying a games community. In the end the community is pretty much determined by how big it is and how active their members are.

Most games I had the pleasure to participate in looked like the following:

1. phase: right after the launch of the game people are so eager, that they can't see the bad things about that game.

2. phase: people are getting used to all the new once flashy mechanics and more and more people (speedlvlers) are reaching the lvl-cap.

3. phase: by the time the first casual players reach the cap the hardcore guilds are done with it allready. They now demand more content as fast as possible. Sadly no dev will please their hunger for content. The only solution would be to implement challenging content right away. But this would scare off casuals later on.

4. phase: Boring endgame which is achieved too soon by too many people is driving the big hardcore guilds away. Their fanbase (mostly consisting of more casual players) will follow them. Those casuals leave behind friends and the more people are going the more the server-community will struggle to stay alive.

Now it is very important to atleast keep those players that are still playing the game busy. Alot of games failed at this because once there is no one to group up with even the most dedicated fan will abandon the game any time soon. Giving them the possibility to group up with other people from other servers will make those people not feeling completly alone atleast. You should allways consider that.

This game will, just like any other have a hype which wont stay for very long.

If Carbine fails to keep the hardcore players long enough this game will be just another one failing since the rise of WoW.

The biggest problem for current games is that they cater the casuals too much. Casuals will even stay and play the game if it is more hardcore oriented. They will allways have stuff to do. The hardcores on the other side will just race trough content like it is a new olympic discipline. They have such a huge fanbase and lot's of hardcores are making videos, giving the game some good advertising (or a bad one).

If I was to call one reason previous games failed to build a good community, then it would be that the latest games are too much casual-oriented.
    Searzocom, Lgr and Haikon like this.
  7. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

What's with these really vague and difficult questions to answer?

Heh.

Healthy Community, in my opinion, is when the players inside and outside the game can get along and be supportive and DO THINGS outside and inside the game without <REDACTED>ing each other out.

Pipedream, really... as there will always be troll's and <REDACTED>s.

However, From what I've seen so far, we actually have a pretty healthy community so far FOR wildstar and I hope we can keep this 'close' feel as we get closer to the beta and release. People creating content for the game is also amazing and necessary because if they aren't playing the game, they want to get more information or see things about the game they are enjoying. It's kinda like football. People care about the players outside the actual game and want more information about players and their history.. training.. that kind of stuff. It's the same for a MMO. There are things we want to see and be able to track OUTSIDE of the game when the real life comes. (I'd love to see some phone ap's that lets us track the AH or talk with our guild or hell, let us interact with some things within our housing... don't need all of these, but some of these will be amazing and help the community stay)

As long as the game is good, the community will stay and keep doing stuff in and out of the game... This will keep the community healthy more than anything and from what i've seen...

...we really don't have anything to worry yet. Keep doing what you're doing, Carbine.
  8. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I actually had the pleasure of finding a new home for our guild in Rift with the second round of shard closures. The person who had done the original scouting for a shard after the closures had done a terrible job and put us on a very high population PvE shard that had the reputation of having tons of trolls, and oh my it sucked! There was constant bickering and flaming in any and all chat channels, you just eventually HAD to quit all channels but guild chat! I went to many styles of shards, PvP, PvE, RP. By far the best shard I found was an RP shard. I made my lowbie character, got out of the starting zone and started asking about the server from others in the zone. I immediately had 3 guild leaders of various guilds, and many from other guilds as well, either whispering me or talking in zone chat about how the wonderful server community was. I then ran into the capitol city of the Guardians, to check out the auction house scene and to see if I could notice any trolls. I did find one very obvious troll in general chat, but he was very quickly shot down by various members of the community, and life went on it's merry way with anyone coming in after that none the wiser of the previous trolling. I mentioned how quickly the troll was taken down, and a few people I'd been talking with responded basically that that was how their community worked, they didn't want the trolls, so they made sure they didn't last long. We moved our guild to that shard, even though we were not an RP guild, and had a blast and got to know many of the guilds and great people on that shard.

So TL;DR: a healthy community is self policed (and with at least minor policing by GM/CMs when server policing is lacking), where rude, uncouth, judgmental, intolerant (of race, creed, culture, sex/gender/sexual orientation, etc) people are not allowed to flourish and spread their behavior to the general server populace.
  9. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

A healthy MMO community, to me, is exactly that a community. I remember back before they had X-realm LFG/LFR in WOW. During vanilla and TBC, when you couldn't be a giant turd to people, you ahd to spend time in trade/gen chat actually looking for a group and built relationships with fellow players/guilds. I remember the server coming together to open the gates of AQ, that was fun. At the beginning of TOR that is what they had, you went to the respective fleets and poked around looking for a dungeon run or pvp party. You and your guild built your names on how you played, there were guilds, especially on SOAP server, that were mainly PVP guilds and sucked hard at it, they thought they were the best but were terrible. You saw them either against or with you and you got that feeling of awww yeah this will be easy or awww <REDACTED> we're done. That to me is what a community is, building that relationship and self recognition in your own server.

I wouldn't have a major problem if they implemented a LFG tool but only if it was for non level cap dungeons and only scanned your own server.
  10. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

I agree that self-policed is best, but I do think it really helps to have community managers in general chat. Folks seem to be more respectful in communities where they know CMs are there and interacting, even if the CMs don't do much hands-on "policing". I love to see games find ways to provide accountability for actions with a report system that has some teeth.

Tera as an example just has a cesspool of chat that it is unbearable to interact with the community.. even in beta it was that way, and beta communities are usually pretty chill. Neverwinter beta on the other hand had a mod chatting in the main city throughout. While Neverwinter/D&D lends itself to a more RP community, which is a factor, I do think his or her presence contributed to a more positive atmosphere.
  11. Haikon

Haikon New Cupcake

My wife and I found a healthy community in SWTOR after launch, or so we thought. Similar to what Silvershades said the servers/communities go through phases after a hyped launch. You build a group of friends that then get torn apart as everyone goes their separate ways.

WS devs have stated that they are focusing on the hardcore PVE raiders. I thought this was wrong at first but their reasoning (as some of you here reason too) was to keep that core loyal group while giving the casuals plenty to do and something to work for (becoming as good as those hardcores).

While we never play a hardcore number of hours I think having a solid base that allows a community to flourish is important. The game is a lot more fun when you can participate with a large group of players and find your niche in there.

Sorry this wasn't so much an answer to the question rather just random thoughts.
  12. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Reputation actually meaning something.

I'm not necessarily talking epeen reputation, but reputation that you are or aren't a good person. That you are someone who is viewed positively by the majority of the server.
  13. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

A healthy community is simply being able to say "hello" in General Chat and getting too many replies back to count!
    Arawulf likes this.
  14. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

Why won't anyone try a non-xserver-lfd? It hasn't really been tried .. all of these LFD games still have long wait times probably because no one wants to tank/heal for a bunch of entitled brats who thrive on hiding behind the anonymity of their server tag. Bring accountability back to MMOs please.
    Alverad likes this.
  15. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Pretty much agree with the poster above (Azmundai) - the only way to create a healthy community is to enforce accountability for ones actions. Or at the least, not to create tools or provide serrvices that allow anonymity beyond reason. While we all want to maintain privacy in an online world, that should not be equivalent to being able to assume a 'new virtual identity' easily.

First, no name change allowed, ever :p And what follows, ability to see all player alts under a given account.

Second, some sort of rep system within the LFG, since we appear to be stuck with it ;)
    - and since that, again, has potential of being abused, I think it would need to be based on positive rep only, not to allow people to down rep someone out of pure spite. Just a one click rep up for those you enjoyed playing with, at the very end of the dungeon. The automated part of the system, could potentially prioritize people of similar rep for grouping, if available. Additional incentives could be added for crossing certain rep thresholds (from achievements to awesome fluff stuff available only via the system and nowhere else in game). I would also look into restricting repping to people outside your guild only, for obvious reasons :p

Third - pvp aspect. An effective tool for reporting AFKers, and in this case, potentially resulting in loss of honor/xp/or even an elo rank if reported more then 10-20 times. I think the number here would need to be big enough not to punish people for occasional occurance, but low enough to prevent the griefers.

These may sound like harsh measures, but I honestly think humanity can't handle too much freedom ;)
    And in the long run, people do adapt to rules. And we can all be that much closer to happy land.
  16. azmundai

Can you at least give us the option to only queue for our server? If we are ok with waiting for quality / accountability .. then let us.
  17. azmundai

This just gives an advantage to large guilds full of asshats as they will just give each other positive ratings all the time ... I really hope they reconsider. They seem to be taking a stand on things like 40 man raids, which makes me all tingly inside ... The only thing I miss more than 40 man raids is no-xserver lfd.
  18. Alverad

Nope it doesn't, you missed my last sentence in the quote:

I would also look into restricting repping to people outside your guild only, for obvious reasons :p
  19. azmundai

guess that would help. its a good idea, but people will find a way to abuse it :(
    i mean i'd love to think that theres a dev out there who can counter any angle .. but programming in general just doesn't seem to work like that.
  20. Alverad

Hm, trying to think how it could be abused but nothing comes to mind....any thoughts? As for coding I am not a dev, but this seems to be a very straight forward idea really - the rep part is not an issue, it's been done in other aspects of games, grouping people with similar rep is simply adding yet another filter to a whole bunch that will be there anyhow; as for determining what guild you're from, that's probably already ingame as well. Players run around with guild tags under their toon name so the system already knows how to pull that info, it's just a matter of adding that condition to the lfg code?

And not having negative rep will prevent people being mean just because they can.