1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Community Uplink - Healthy MMO Community?

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Fate Flyer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Sorry, you must have missed the multiple times I asked for harder content :p I never said anything about wanting no effort content. The dungeon is the content, I never once asked for easy dungeons, rather the other way around.

Accessible does not mean one should have access to content one is not qualified for and seriously undergeared to do.

I never once tried to enter anything I did not know myself qualified to do, never, you see I do my char developement, all my char developemtn, I am not advocating easy content.

Just easy access, when it is content I qualify to do.

Getting access to a dungeon through a dungeons finder is not the same as saying everyone should be able to queue up in any role wether or not they can use the role and get drops for no effort.

And yes, you can have hard and easy to get to.
  2. SiegaPlays

Naturally I use my own experience with LFD. For good use of DF tools, I consider myself a pretty good reference. I even have the splendid background of knowing how gathering groups in the old ways was, and it sucked.

So yeah, I do purely judge the tool by how it affect me and all those, who like me got to group more than occassionally with guildies with DF instead of always soloing. Just like you purely judge it from your pov, and not once have considered if anything I say is actually true - because it would not fit into your pov.
  3. John

John "That" Cupcake

You don't really say anything that is debatable. Your point is that you personally like lfd because it allowed you to do other things while the system makes a group for you. Thats a personal opinion and one I have never tried to argue with. I have tried to point out that your personal preference is not necessarily good for the community as a whole.

When you say pre-lfd sucked, you're saying it sucked for you. But was the community better off? I listen to everything you say but honestly you view point is very self serving and there isn't much to debate if the only thing that matters to you is the game catering to your personal needs even if its at the expense of the community as a whole.
  4. SiegaPlays

The old ways is selfserving for those who had ease of grouping with that method, why should I be any different - except I am the one who wants the tool that makes it easy for everyone, not just me.

So the solution is giving DF consequence for being jerks, make server only standard, but cross realm optional during peak hours, so it is possible to find group.

And then reintroduce the community events on multiple level that is more than likely a bigger reason for why communities fragmented. If there is nothing but dailies left to do in the world, what else than smashing lfg is left, for those who dislike playing, ehh, I mean farming for pots and food and crafting mats and vanity pets and achievements and mounts and doing secondary skills and whatnot.
  5. Searzocom

Searzocom New Cupcake

Endgame content and above all, we need a reason to keep playing.
  6. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

Grouping in the old MMO system wasn't hard. It just took effort. WoW just made it completely 100% effortless. And so now some people seem to think that the old system was this horrible burden of a system. Yet it worked for years and years, and was never a real problem.

Blizzard's first mistake, was deciding that everything should be EASILY accessible to everyone. Accessibility is never the problem. Everything in a MMO is accessible if you put the work into doing it. People just want everything to be easy and convenient now.

This downward spiral started with all these added conveniences. Suddenly, everything in a MMO needed to be convenient, which made it trivial. There were no more adventures left to be had. Dungeons and raids are stupidly easy, and can be done in minutes. The biggest challenges are doing the same content with a different difficulty level. ZZZZzzzzzz... The rest is all just flashing colors and gear Pez dispensers. Yay MMOs! They suck now!

And NO NO NO NO NO NO NO to anything crossrealm. I really hope Carbine Studios ignores that idea and doesn't launch this game and immediately flush it down the toilet. Crossrealm has added another layer of destruction to the already dying MMO communities. Ugh, so bad.
    Alverad and Joukehainen like this.
  7. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> I understand that this is a very heated topic of discussion but please try to keep away from personal attacks. This goes to everyone, of course. </Mod Monocle>
  8. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not trying to insult anyone. Maybe I should stay away from saying "people like you" or "YOU PEOPLE!" :eek:
    Yakzan and Kataryna like this.
  9. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I think what makes a good community in MMOs is in part seeing the same people with some regularity. So if you're going to be doing a 5 man dungeon, it shouldn't be 4 unknown faces in there with you. Cross Realm dungeon finders and cross realm battlegrounds did a lot to undermine the community in WoW for me. While once upon a time, you knew 15-20% of the people on your realm and what their personalities were like, now you know only the people in your own guild. Where once you would look forward to seeing your nemesis or arch rival team in a PvP battleground, now it's all about <REDACTED>ing about how the other players on your own team suck.

Community in an MMO has to have something WoW now lacks: reputation. You have to know people and have them know you.
    Alverad, Glacius, Sevvy and 2 others like this.