Community Uplink - Sandbox vs Themepark

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday's Community Uplink over on Twitter asked about the concern between themepark and sandbox MMO's and asked how it could perhaps be resolved. Click Read more to catch the discussion.

( Read more )
  2. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

Mhmhmmmm ^^ Wait here, wait there. But yes what would be the life without waiting.
  3. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Oh good grief now we go down the road of defining a 'sandbox' (isnt that like a kitty litter box ? - you know rummage around having fun and then ! ewwww) certainly most sandbox games seem that way to me, little development and almost a game released without testing. True they are often in touch with player comments and able to implement quickly but predominantly all those Ive seen fail very quickly and have been PVP centric sandboxes for elitist groups of players and didnt appeal much to the mass population.
    I wouldnt describe Wildstar as Sandbox, it does have a 'dynamic' development team intent on keeping players occupied with content as well as maintaining their fingers on the pulse of player feedback, but to me it seems more themeparkish, but ....... it looks like something more than a toon grinding 'fast forward to end game' themepark.

To me it has all the elements of what I believe an MMO should be, in summary, 'something for everyone and enough to keep everyone busy'. Irrespective of a gamers individual playstyle it looks to bring all the possible ways of MMO gaming together in a common environment, and with due consideration for gamers abilites or disabilities. True we dont know much about PVP specifics or really detailed crafting but certainly the potential is there for the game to become a next generation MMO, dare I say WOW killer? A replacement for SWG? No neither of those but more its own kind of MMO taking the best elements from the afore mentioned legends.
    The simple fact there is housing and Im guessing, potential for deep player 'emotional' investment with plenty of end game content, then it falls outside the standard themepark definition for me. But that all depends how the boundaries of player investment are set in the game.

So its a Themebox ? or a Sandpark ? Not really but like the name 'NEXUS' implies, its a common environment where a multitude of playstyles, abilities and gaming interests combine and players are able to investigate the various different aspects of gaming in a arena they are familiar with.

So yes its a ThemeSandparkbox if you like ? but to me really it has the potential to be a true 'nextgen' MMO, advanced graphics, well thought out storylines, housing, RP, crafting, guilds and community, PVE, PVP, raids, paths to cater for every playstyle, innovative elements like the telegraph system and loads of new alien things to shoot to pieces. :)
    Edit: Yeah sorry cant work with Twitters character limits LOL
  4. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

It's a tough subject, I would definitely like to see some similarities to the sandbox of SWG and how GW2 did their story. Maybe have the general questing introduce the player to the overall story and setting throughout the game. Once players reach or finish the Elder Games then have some sort of player driven content have a real impact on the future of Nexus. That was pretty vague. :)

This could all change but from what's available to see and read which isn't a lot so far I consider Wildstar an interesting take on the current MMO genre. Next generation in my opinion is something that won't be seen for a while which to me is something truly revolutionary not just innovating certain features. Telegraphs while nice aren't really that special anymore with GW2, TSW, Tera, and a few unreleased MMOs all having some form of it, comparing them will be interesting.

All that being said who knows if each of us will even enjoy the next generation of MMOs, what I hope out of Wildstar is a return to a couple neglected features and just great execution.
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  5. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

What you mean is called in the industry a hybrid. For me, it is a Themepark MMORPG of the *third generation. Due to the current information, i would not know what nextgen at WildStar should be. Yes it has beautiful graphics and so on. But we have all the old (some of them are good) mechanics (and yes some of them are modified) of an classic MMORPG in WildStar. What is really new to become the honor to say its nextgen? I mean when starts nextgen? When you ask the mmorpg.com community they will say with Black Desert starts nextgen... Back to the Theme Park/Sandbox thing. It looks yes much linear to me, like an typically Theme Park. We have relative small Maps with events (quest calls, same like gw2) and we play from map to map to the end. And with the End the Endgame begins. I mean, i think they will build in some Sandbox elements but i'm sure the Theme Park part of the Game will dominate WildStar. Mhmhm maybe i'm totally wrong, but its my "at the moment" view of the game.

*same gen like wow, lotro, [...] swtor, tera, [...]
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  6. Zap-Robo

And the analysis is out. Of note...

7. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I assume that article is an extra next week? Looking forward to it.

I'm somewhere in the middle of this discussion. I want to see a solution between the two systems. Basically, I want to see less quests and more sandboxing elements then in current WoW.

Also, currently in WoW:MoP (and it was the same in Cataclysm and even before that) you have a linear story line. The quests guide you from sub-zone to sub-zone, covering the whole area. Then you move on to the next. It goes on and on and one. It's boring as hell.

Don't get me wrong, I love doing quests, but I really really want to discover something myself as well. That was the case back in the original WoW, you could stumble upon some quests in a remote sub-zone. You can have one big linear story from zone to zone. It's nice, so you can keep an eye on what is going on in the world. But in each zones it would be nice to walk into quests (or something else) that has nothing to do with the main story line.

Make it so you can skip them while not feeling you miss out if you don't discover them. Don't make quests the only viable path (I don't mean the Path system in W* here). Plus, in WoW leveling is now so fast, you can't even finish the story line before you out-level the entire zone. It forces me to skip 50% of a zone and miss out on the story at the same time. I like to finish my stories.

I have the feeling that Carbine will surprise me happily next week in that blog post though. I'm quiet sure you guys came up with some great themebox/sandpark for us to play in.
  8. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

That is one of my biggest pet peeves with MMOs, there are many zones the same level, (which I understand due to different starting places for different races), but I want my main character to be able to experience all areas and all quests. Why not have the same quests adjust themselves to the level of the quester, or even better imo, have leveling take long enough that you could perform all level 1 quests in all areas before moving on to level 2, etc. So, that would give the option for completionists to do all quests and others to just move on in the same area. Also, have achievements for doing quests.
  9. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

*nod* that would be nice.
  10. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Agreed, looking forward to what they have in store for us in terms of sandbox or player-driven content.
  11. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I like the amount of quests in WoW right now, since I can pick and choose the quests hubs I wish to replay on my 10 alts, so it does not become a dead bore of repeatability :p Right now I just do a few dailies in the zones I like on my main (most of them are pretty though), because there is no way I am going to burn myself out on daily galore, when I am not obligated to stay on top for my guild, and the rep does not seem all that much required after aquiring profession recipies (gawd, I hate having to do factions for recipies, couldn't they at least be BoA).
    However I am already doing LFR on my hunter and priest, which is pretty much endgame until 5.1 for me.

The game definitly need some dynamic content, puzzling exploring objectives and sandbox options for max level on top of the themepark it has to offer now. Also combo of dynamic zone encounters (Rift), dynamic dungeons (D3) and adaptive environment fights (WildStar) could be a nice addition. If it added extra options to earning rep in other ways than dailies, would be nice (not a tabard rep fanboy here, so I am not going to argue for such).

I am personally not all that fond of fullblown sandbox mode, especially levelling alts I like an expedient effective roadmap - removal of levels would be a refreshing alternative though :p

A lot of people need the comfortable and predictable to feel at home in a game. I hallowed wanded my mother into a wisp yesterday and she nearly blew a vessel until I told her how to remove it :rolleyes:. Think of all the people still remembering the zombie event in WoW as the epithome of worse game experience they have had with WoW.

I have a theory that mainstream cottoning is all about the themesparkly feel.
  12. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

13. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

So WildStar is a Theme Park MMO with some (little) elements from the Sandbox mhmhmmmm? Mah i think i can forget the idea of a working economy in W*. But it was also clear somehow. :/ So we get an Guild Wars 2 in SciFi style(?). Well let's see if the bill comes up.
  14. Zap-Robo

So, there you have it :)
  15. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Didn't we already know that Zap? :)
  16. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Yeah I'm hoping housing and some features in the elder games will add some more sandbox elements.

Not the people on Facebook, most of the comments this week were about beta.
  17. Zap-Robo

What we know, and what the newer visitors know don't always tally up :)
  18. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

This confirms that it was a good decision to close my Facebook account. If those people would have gone to the site and investigate a bit more they would have known.

It's time we put up a FAQ thread then!

1. Who is the creasiest of them all? Maddog!
    2. When will be the beta? Official answer: in 2013. Best estimated guess: Closed Beta in Q2 2013.
    3. When will the game be releashed? When the game is done. But we guess it will be late 2013 or (early) 2014.
  19. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

One thing is to know approximately when, another is to know how beta is going to work out, the practical application of it. I am curious about that, especially since we had an uplink about beta burnout.
  20. entropyrat

entropyrat New Cupcake

You uhhh... just described GW2?

Also, I'm not sure that the creators of this game know what a Sandbox is based upon this interview.