1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Concern about DPS Warriors.

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Snugglz, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Snugglz

Snugglz New Cupcake

From what I have seen the warrior dps seems to be less potent than spellslinger/stalker/esper as far as dps goes. It is early on and not much content can be seen but my worry is that dps warrior will be a mid pack dps class regardless in Elder Game content.

Has there been any indication that classes at Elder Game (from a class design point of view) will be based more on skill rather than class choice. What I mean by this is, should a decent esper/spellslinger/stalker ALWAYS beat a warrior regardless of how exceptional they are since they can take more damage and therefor for balance have less output. Stances/AMPs seem to be the factor that can change that but I still wonder what it will be like.

My question would be this: Should picking a certain class hinder you or help you in dps more than other classes. Example: Will Stalker/Spellslingers typically be on top of the charts or should it be based on skill and all classes have the raw abilites/potency to be top of the charts. I want to be a top dps player but will me choosing a Warrior dps automatically hinder me from that because of class design?

Forgive the earliness of the question I am seriously bored waiting on the game to be announced for launch *taps foot at Carbine..
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

There has been a thread about this just recently. They will most likely do around 5% less damage (can still be changed!!), but the differences won't be HUGE.

They'll make it so you need all classes and don't just go with only Esper dpsers because they do the highest damage.

As far as ''highest damage'' every patch there will ALWAYS be 1 class that does a bit more damage then any other, just wait a few patches and another class will be in that ''sweet'' spot.

Carbine will do their best to ''balance'' it at the point they are happy with.
  3. Taher

Taher Cupcake

Don't forget the use of stances and innates which will most definitely improve the damage output of Warriors and classes that don't have light armour, which'll therefore balance the DPS to be somewhat equal.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

They will still have a bit less damage then light armor wearers. It's stated by Carbine that because of he heavy armor they will do (just a bit) less damage. Nothing game changing though.
  5. Taher

Taher Cupcake

Yeah, but remember the armor reduc nerf you get if you choose the higher DPS stance. If they make the damage output too low in comparison to other classes along with the armor reduc, then that'll be a huge dilemma.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Don't tell me you think that the armor reduction will be enough to make them on par with light armor bearers?
    They will still have more armor and get less damage. The differences in damage will be beween the 1-5% (they've stated 5%). But I personally think this will get reduced a bit more. As for the armor differences....I don't have a clue but I suspect them still having 5-10% more armor even in DPS stance.
  7. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

That's the traditional trade-off. "I can shoot missiles!" "Well I can take a missile to the chest!"
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Only one? :eek:
  9. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

Yes. We just have the one, so we have to trade off every other day. Darn rationing!
    frzn and Extatica like this.
  10. LeStat

LeStat New Cupcake

Given that the current media pass is only up to lvl 15, I wouldn't really put any weight on any balance concerns you've seen thus far. I'm sure things change drastically over the course of leveling and it's going to be impossible to get any sort of gauge this early on. In all likelihood, Warriors start out weak, but finish strong. You really just have no way of knowing at this point.

Carbine has generally shown themselves to be quite intelligent and up to date on current MMO trends and innovations. If you've noticed, most current gen MMOs have done away with the concept of "more armor = less dps", and for good reason, as it almost always contributes to poor class balance. While its certainly possible to balance dps classes around that concept, I've yet to see any MMO ever pull it off in such a way that the higher armor/lower dps classes are equally as desirable as the lower armor/higher dps classes. Breaking this mold would require designing encounters in such a way that a dps' ability to mitigate damage is just as important as his ability to dish it out. Given Wildstar's commitment to the holy trinity, 40 man raids, and overall recognition of current MMO innovations, it's likely they'll be striving for an all-dps-equally-desired goal. Achieving that goal is another matter, but I assume that's what they will be striving for.

Given that all classes can dps, the goal should be for every class to end up on top of the charts roughly 1/6th of the time. "Balancing" Spellslingers to do more dps than Warriors because they have less armor - ignoring the fact that melee tend to be squishier anyway because of where they play - will only result in Warriors being reduced to second class dps, who's only purpose is to fill dps raid slots that can't be filled by Spellslingers or Espers. Given Carbine's statements thus far, I trust that they're smart enough to not make this mistake. Notice how quickly they recanted their off the cuff "Engineers will do less dps because they have more armor" comment.

In truth, Carbine may end up having to balance Warriors and Stalkers slightly above Spellslingers and Espers on a dummy so that they all even out in an actual raid environment. This is highly dependent on elder game encounter design and ranged mobility, but it's often difficult to design encounters that hinder ranged as much as they hinder melee.

No, although I can almost guarantee that it will. Just take solace in the fact that it's not by design. The old adage of "play what you enjoy" may be cliche, but it's repeated time and time again for good reason.
  11. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Cupcake

I share your concerns OP. The balance that will be struck between PvE and PvP dps will most certainly ensure lower warrior Dps. I fear " play what you love " will be the ointment on the sore wound dps warriors will use to ease their woahs given the legitimate concern of them being to tanky/dpsy in pvp. It will come and go in waves as they constantly tweek our damage out put vs damage intake. I fear more often than not though warriors will lag.
  12. Pulsefire

Pulsefire New Cupcake

I most definitely share the same concern, And I agree with them possibly needing to actually over compensate as it were seeing how warriors are melee and usually have a much more difficult time to actually do our damage to make sure were up to snuff. The last thing I want is to regret rolling a warrior if a spellslinger or esper can do as much damage, Do this damage easier than me AND stay at range. (No point in bringing a warrior from a competitive standpoint) Another thing that bothers me is how stupid balance is at low levels from the few streams I have seen (while not exactly the greatest measure of balance) does provide the gist of it and warriors are definitely lacking early power. From what I understand warriors look great at higher levels but it always bothered me (warriors in MMO's in general) really didn't shine until mid to higher levels.

Here's to hoping the warrior doesn't have any issues in Eldergame even if they are a late bloomer.
  13. Snugglz

Snugglz New Cupcake

From my personal experience as a dps warrior in different MMOs, this type of dps class could scale very well with gear. Maybe with enough crit/crit severity/and some type of armor penetration the warrior might be very solid at Elder Game. 1-15 is by no means a measuring stick for that exact reason but it at least brings up the question. The hope would then be, do we have faith in Carbine to try and counteract this type of design when it comes to Elder Game dps. Obviously this is easier said then done but as long as that is their intention I will have no issue. All I really need is a chance to be at the top if I were to do my rotation correctly and gear/stat effectively.

I do have faith though in Carbine though which helps with my worries.
  14. eharper256

eharper256 Cupcake-About-Town

Actually my concern over melee == less damage is somewhat alleviated since there are obvious gap closers in each category (Leap, Bum Rush, and Grapple), and the fact that Unyielding is a first tier AMP (no being dazed from being hit whilst Dashing).
  15. xShinji

xShinji New Cupcake

In medic Livestream raid, 1 of the dev used DPS Warrior and it seems pretty decent imo, having no problem to tank and deal damage.