1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Confirmed: Chu are Genderless

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Argo, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Menchi

Menchi Cupcake-About-Town

You think homosexual means male-male? No no. Could also be female-female. However, if the race is sexless (though they seem pretty darn male, minus the pink one we saw.) then they would just be homogenous rather than homosexual, as there's no sex.

Frankly, I think the comment about Chua being sexless is being misconstrued and really just means that they'll all just lack any sexualized characteristics, while still allowing for "Males" and "Females" via character creation options. I don't believe for a second that the pink chua with ponytail and long eyelashes was just a general "sexless" chua.
  2. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Sex =/= Gender.

You can have male and female chua without gender. They just wouldn't identify themselves as male or female in mindset. Except perhaps after being exposed to other cultures and adopts the social tendency of gender roles.

-Rachel-
  3. Steampunkette

It's likely they have sex like most other mammalian species. Gender and Sex are two different concepts. No Gender doesn't mean no Sex.

-Rachel-
  4. Ennui

Ennui Cupcake

it was confirmed on UDSP on monday that chua have only one sex. how that works lore wise... we'll have to see. (or at least they said someone in their chat named CRB_Aether said that)
  5. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

hahaha the males give birth....or they pop out of the ground
  6. Steampunkette

They've actually said a lot of different things over the past while. Some have said that there are no genders, others no sex, and one said that they have sex but it's almost impossible for Non-Chua to recognize which one is which.

-Rachel-
  7. EpicBubble

EpicBubble Cupcake

I think that is generally cause we associate men with penis and women with breasts, so we assume male characters have said penis and women character have said breasts and for the most part this is true of all the races from the granok to the mechari have these parts. My point is we are accustom to gender signs in humans but not of that of other races I mean like others have said I cant tell the difference between male and female hamsters there body shape is the same.

So for the chua we cant see what gender they are because their anatomy does not give signs (sure facial hair is a sign of a male, pink fur and higher pitch voice female) but in terms of the sexual parts we cant see them thus they come across as a mono gender race.

I'm still sure we will see ♂ or ♀ options in the character menu in terms of atleast the characters voice and maybe accessories like earrings and so forth. I doubt they will have a ⚪ option.

(I cant tell the difference between male and female ferrets can you?)
  8. Steampunkette

Gender =/= Sex. It is absolutely impossible, with current scientific understanding, to identify the gender of a hamster! But we can determine their sex.

And yeah, I agree that they don't have outright overt sexual dimorphism. I'm just curious what the devs mean when one says no sex and another says no gender and a third says people just can't TELL their sex. I think, perhaps, there is the same misunderstanding of sex and gender within the dev team as their is on these boards.

-Rachel-
    Eluldor likes this.
  9. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

*hair flip* You wish you were manly!
  10. EpicBubble

EpicBubble Cupcake

Oh yeah most likely, Devs cant decide on how adventurous or new age thinking they want to be. Before it was just how skimpy armor should be for females :p nowdays now its how gender specific should we make our races.
  11. Jimbob767

Jimbob767 New Cupcake

Could this be a reason for the Chua being top of the Race polls every time? Does anyone know if something like this has been done before? Unusually genders with races I mean.
  12. Lyng

Lyng New Cupcake

Honestly small and evil was allways a big hit. Just look at how many played gnomes in wow and the Asura in GW2.
  13. Jimbob767

Jimbob767 New Cupcake

True Asurans were awesome but their reproduction was normal... I think?
  14. Lyng

Lyng New Cupcake

Yes exactly. Thats what I mean mate. I dont think the lack of gender (aka visible penis or lack of) is the reason for the popularity of the Chua, rather I just think it comes down to them beeing small and cute/evil.
  15. EpicBubble

EpicBubble Cupcake

I wonder what the flirt lines will be I loved the female gnome ones.

"At this time, I think you should purchase me an alcoholic beverage and engage in diminutive conversation with me in hopes of establishing a rapport."

"Your ability to form a complete sentence is a plus."

"I cannot find you completely disagreeable."

"I don't feel the 1 to 10 scale is fine enough to capture subtle details of compatibility. I'd prefer a 12 dimensional compatibility scale with additional parameters for mechanical aptitude and torque."
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  16. Jimbob767

Jimbob767 New Cupcake

True it favors the demolitionists out there and it's the only small race in the game, so far
  17. Steampunkette

18. Mimsy

Mimsy New Cupcake

Yeah....this. Gnomes were actually the butt of jokes the entire time I played WoW. Not terribly clever jokes, but yes. I honestly think that all the polls in the world can tell nothing about the popularity of any race until realms are live and we can see stats. And even then, just like in every game, stats don't take into account mains/alts/farming toons, etc.

That being said, it's exciting to see such relevant discussions sparked by the Chua. All to often gaming is written off as frivolous and juvenile when in fact, it is a reflection of our cultural values and expectations in ways that are just as valid as literature and cinema. I sincerely hope that discussions like this are a true reflection of the future player base for WS. :)
  19. Xostro

Xostro Cupcake

I know, I was going of the male option that chua are forced to select in character creation, I hope they change this male option later to reflect what they are.

Though I think some people will be turned off when they see it say hermaphrodite or something lol.
  20. Anorissa

Anorissa Cupcake

I think that there will be male and female Chua, but, like others said, you just won't be able to tell the difference physically.

but, if that's not the case and there are no specific male or female Chua, maybe they reproduce like Tribbles from Star Trek? Each Chua is born pregnant?