1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cosmetics

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by ImmortalExile, Sep 11, 2011.

1. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I was talkIng to my wife about WildStar and I was telling her that as of right now I would really like to play an Aurin Spellslinger. Then I got to thinking.... What would he look like? We know practically nothing about customization and/or cosmetics. So, I told myself that if I could, I'd have an Aurin that looked a bit pale, dark colored eyes, charcoal hair and even one of his floppy ears cropped. I didn't get much farther in my line of thought because NOT knowing what I could do was irritating.
    But, I have been thinking on it for a while now and am hoping that the cosmetics and customization are plentiful. I don't want an elaborate system that would take me days to create my avatar, but I'm hopeful for more choices than WoW, WAR, and LotRO. Though, I'll make due with what we're given.

So, please share what sorts of cosmetics you'd like for your future WildStar avatars.
  2. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

However much (or little) we get in terms of character customization, I'd love to see a re-customization option after a character is made. Personally I'd prefer something akin to the barber in WoW, with limitations on what you can change (such as hair style, color, accessories, but not your entire face, or color of your skin, or height, etc), but I know there's going to be people out there wanting to change absolutely every aspect of their characters as well, and I can definitely understand the wish for this too, especially since I found myself absolutely hating my character in Rift - well after I hit the max level - and didn't want to reroll just because I suddenly hated her looks.

That said, I would definitely like a variety of options for each race - especially when it comes to the faces. I really don't want to see another World of Warcraft in terms of face selection, where just about the only thing that differs between each face is the actual texture, but not the width or length or even facial profile. With WildStar looking both similar to and different from WoW, I really hope this is one of the ways it will differ.
  3. souper

souper Founding Member

Games in which your armor changes when you equip a new one tend to have similar levels of customization versus games like APB or CoH. I'm expecting to see what we typically see from a Western MMO. A respectable number of hair choices, earrings, make-up, beards, and things like that. Your helmet is just gonna cover it all up anyway. :rolleyes:

However, being able to set your mood and posture like STO allows you to do would be really neat. Playing a happy-go-lucky Granok seems fun. :) Also, those cool little trinkets you could tack onto yourself in Warhammer were cool as well but not something I need to see.
  4. starspun

Oh goodness yes, moods/postures would be fantastic. That's something I've really wanted to see in more games since Star Wars Galaxies!
  5. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

I love the CoH character creator. It is one of my favorite aspects of the game. There are former CoH people on the WildStar team. Judging from the gameplay videos that came out of Gamescom and PAX11, WildStar will be an equipment dependent game (sadly), which also means customization will be limited.

I suppose the best we can hope for is multiple suits of armor/robes with different appearances and identical stats.
  6. starspun

Or an appearance slot system. Much less hassle, I'd think!
    Autumnal likes this.
  7. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

^Best option. and a "Show/unshow helmet" option.

In a few games now, lacking appearance tabs, you can still "fuse" the stats of the gear you like to supersede the stats of the gear whose looks you prefer.
  8. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

I like the appearance slot option. It worked nicely in Rift from what I experienced. That, along with armor dyes to coordinate outfits and you could save multiple outfits in your "wardrobe."
    Tiktak likes this.
  9. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

It really surprises me that most MMO's dont launch with either a wardrobe paper doll or something along the lines of Aions cosmetic skins.

In the games that have something along the lines of this, players use them a lot. People will go out of there way to hunt down pieces of gear just for the appearance alone. Im glad to see WoW finally break down and do this, hopefully most upcoming MMO's will do the same.

back to the topic. Gear appearances for me are a really big deal. I tend to play games longer if I have a lot of gear to select from and I'm able to use or at least equip. I think thats what kept me playing Aion for so long. It makes the game feel more social when you can really personlize your characters look past their physical appearances. The more the better.

I know a lot of game devs want a players role recognizable in PvP for both ally recognition and enemy recognition. It also makes perfect sense as far as believability that during PvP a person who is actually using the stats of heavy armor doesnt appear to be wearing a loin cloth. For this, I say look at "The Secret World" where once you enter a PvP area your character is displayed not with the gear you have equipped, but with a PvP uniform based off the faction and role that your character plays.

Warhammer Online also removes customized appearances to the opposing factions in PvP areas, although they are still displayed to friendlies.
  10. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I like the system in DC Universe (one of the only things I liked) where the gear you wore unlocked that piece as a costume article you could then customise your character with. Actually having it appear as part of your costume was optional even when equipped.

I'd much prefer a system where equipping an item once unlocks it's appearance to wear at any time, without then having to keep the item itself onhand to change into.
  11. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Didn't play DCUO, but that system sounds pretty neat.
    I could see treasure hunters and completists such as myself attempting to equip every piece of gear to complete my collection.

This goes a bit off topic, but if we indeed get player housing, I'd hope for an Armory in the house where you can display sets (full sets) of armor on dummies.
  12. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

^^ Yes please! I'm a pack rat and tend to hang on to old sets of armor because they either have sentimental value (first raid set, quest line, etc) or because I like the look of them. It's annoying to leave them as icons in a bank and not able to display them anywhere unless I want to sacrifice the bag space while I walk around town. An armory in housing would be great, or even an armory in a guild hall type situation.

Another thing I'm hopeful for is that the color options are plentiful, either on a hue slider or something similar. It's frustrating when there's only a very few limited color options for hair and other details. I'm fine with skin being restricted depending on race, but we have a bunny girl with purple hair! Please let me choose bright pink or teal if I want to!
  13. alienfirst

alienfirst Deck the Granok Winner 2011

If the character creator has me happily spending an hour messing with it, well, I'll be sold. Character creation is my favorite part of anything. I know exactly how I would want my Aurin to look, and once I get as close to that as I can, I'll just make a bunch of different appearances for the fun of it.

And cloooothes. Any sort of manipulations with clothes/armor would be positively amazing.
  14. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Nice quote from the latest Zap-Robo link:

ImmortalExile and Brotoi like this.
  15. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

Here is to hoping for things such as a tallness slider, build slider (because some of us like more lean/thicker) facial features, etc. Games that don't have much customization of your own character bug me because everybody looks the same.
  16. starspun

Height and build sliders. Yes. Do want.
  17. Zap-Robo

I say copy City of Heroes for level of initial customisation (minus the clothing options, I guess) and then throw DCUO's item system over the top.
  18. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

I think that would be a little too far. We do all want each species to be visually distinct in terms of general physique, right? Granok should always be solid and retain their distinct anatomical structure, though they could stand to vary in just how solid and how imposing they are.
  19. Zap-Robo

That'll teach me to think before posting - by which I meant that certainly there should be some racial restrictions (stone texture skin for Granoks for example) but allow facial sliders, accessories like hats, glasses, etc. be selectable. You want a pink Granok (quartz-based?) with hair (moss) then so be it!
    Nonsensicles likes this.
  20. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

Can we imagine for a second a Granok Esper. This person, while coming from the people of stone skin, may not have been a mercenary in their past. They may very well have had no physically demanding occupation in said past. Why then must they be a hulk of a being?

Again, please allow me to cast our inner eye to that of the Aurin Warrior. I would argue that such a person would probably have had a great deal of physical development in their lives and upon reaching this destination I would hope that they would have some degree of muscle mass and definition.

Assuming Humans have not changed much in the amount of time it takes to get to Nexus then I believe the same range of physical characteristics could also be attained from them (and all unannounced races).

With that being said, I have never played CoH/V but, I like the idea of this sliding scale and I'd hope that if it were made available that it would allow a noticeable (from a distance) difference in body style while maintaining obvious racial characteristics.