1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cosmetics

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by ImmortalExile, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

The other stuff I can picture with no problem, but I'm having a real problem getting my head around the idea of a Granok Esper. :confused: I'm sure we'll see them ingame, 'cause folks will create'em, but somehow it just doesn't seem...I dunno, sane?
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Why not? A special race spell could be to take all the rock layers of their skin and shoot it at a target then come back. They might look funny in the mean time but what the heck. :rolleyes:
  3. alienfirst

alienfirst Deck the Granok Winner 2011

I could see it happen. Having an unusual class for a race lends itself to some nice roleplaying and character creation. For example, reading the race synopsis for the Charr in Guild Wars 2, it's strange that you could make an elementalist Charr given their history, but they've given no sign (so far) that you CAN'T.
  4. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

Tattoo's. I love me some Tattoo's. The full body ones with various patterns like in AoC were just awesome.

Somebody FUND IT!
    VooDoo likes this.
  5. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I can relate to this. While I was playing WoW and got into the game again, it really bugged me to see a Tauren Paladin or a Undead Hunter. It just felt not right for me, in my eyes it didn't fit their backstory at all. Tauren were these nature bond creatures and now they can wield holy hammers?

All I want to say is, that I think customisation should be restricted to the backstory of each race. But I also dont want just some presets for my character, so Im ok with this sliding thing in a restricted range.

I´ve seen a video of the character creation of GW 2, they had sliders too, but restricted them to a certain range, so for example you couldn't make a mini Charr.
  6. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Binding certain classes to certain races seems counter-intuitive to the creed of "play your way", though.
    The Universe in WildStar seems a well-traveled place, and Nature seems to abhor a lack of diversity.

The same with some games going a step further, is binding classes to genders. By logical extension, it would be "Oh, you want to play an Esper? You *have* to be an Aurin Female." That would be a bad thing.

Just like in the Star Wars Universe, where any race can potentially be a Jedi, why wouldn't a Granok be an Esper? Even the most battle-hardened combat vet still has need for a shaman/healer. The more tools you bring to the fight, the better your outcome.
    starspun likes this.
  7. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

Actually, it really does make sense if you take the time to find out why. Tauren paladins draw on their strong racial connection with the Sun. The only weird thing about Forsaken hunters is the pets, but they were already taming bats for flight paths and various plagued creatures (like the hounds of the Forsaken hunter, Nathanos Blightcaller).

Point being, just because some combo rubs you the wrong way by being an unconventional interpretation of racial characteristics, that doesn't mean it should be invalid. Aptitude for magic and psychic powers should be determined by one's spirit and brain composition, respectively, and we have no evidence to suggest that Granok are especially diminished in these regards compared to a human.

Frankly, Granok make more sense to me as Espers than Spellslingers. Not the spell part, but the tiny little pistols. If someone with the strength of a Granok is going to carry a weapon at all, it might as well be something heavy that doesn't require such fine manual dexterity to wield effectively. ;)
    Brotoi likes this.
  8. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

My thought on this was the potential of personalizing a class based on race. There's a lot of discussion about Granoks, the Big Bad Meat Tower-shields of the Universe, using un-physical mental powers and magic spells/tiny lil' girly guns. How about instead of that interpretation, we take a Granok who's taken a more martial art mindset to his training, balancing his body and mind. His mental attacks become an expression of his personal control and indomitable will. As for the spellslinger... maybe dual-wielding shotguns? ;) Or even a big two-hander could be an option. I almost imagine the Heavy from TF2, but with something a little lighter to allow more mobility.
  9. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

Actually, now that I connect some dots, I think this WILL be an option.

Look at the height of the Aurin female compared to the male human in this ingame shot.

http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?attachments/gc_11_screenshot_12-jpg.53/

As you can see, she is only lower chest height to the human. She's quite short there. But now let us look at the Wildstar trailer that Carbine said was shot in-game, then sent out to another company to upres it (or something like that). Pause at the 2:22 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDaao0gExZU

Even tilting her head forward a bit, you can see she is at LEAST chin height to him.
  10. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Hm, I thought the studio used in-game art assets to make the trailer, not that it was actually shot in the game. That's the only thing I've heard, anyway, and it makes more sense (to me at least).

Either way, the chance that the aurin was scaled up for the trailer is just as likely as an actual height slider at this point - imagine how silly that scene in particular would look if the aurin barely reached up to the human's chest: you'd almost only see her ears!
  11. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

It was one of the interviews if I recall right where they mentioned it. Problem is I don't remember which one it is.
  12. starspun

Found it, on Twitter.
    I take this to mean the assets were exported so Blur Studios could do their thing. I have a really hard time seeing the trailer being made from in-game footage.
  13. alienfirst

alienfirst Deck the Granok Winner 2011

I would be inclined to agree with that. Using assets from the game and shooting within the game are two very different things.

And on the aurin's height in the trailer: I would think they made her a certain height so she would share a decent amount of space on screen with the other two characters. Having the granok with a smaller aurin would've created composition issues with the framing.

Putting that aside though, I would think height sliders would be a given. Weight sliders most likely as well. The more control we have over our character, the more invested we are in them.
  14. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

Hmm.... I stand corrected. On the plus side, I can has hoverbike?
  15. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

They used the ingame props for the CGI-Trailer, so there has to be a actual prop of the hoverbike ingame :D
  16. starspun

You can has hoverbike, they said it'll be in-game as a mount!
  17. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

Technically... it's not a hoverbike, as it has a back wheel. ;)
  18. starspun

But the front doesn't.
  19. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

My first thought was the weight at the back of the bike would obviously counter balance the front, which in turn would give the illusion of the bike hovering. However, after looking at it more closely, I'm starting to think it's a hybrid hoverbike.
  20. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Definitely has to be a hybrid!
    Now the only question is what are the color options for the bike?