1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Crafting in a group

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Darkspur, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

So regarding crafting I was thinking it would be great if it became more of a community or group activity, as in most past MMOs its been a solo effort exclusively. I still think it needs to be solo effort for sure but give players a bonus if grouped and crafting and an increased bonus if all crafting in the same location eg: hub crafting center. Im talking fractional % of bonus's nothing thats going to get to uber stattd items everytime, but certainly improve the finished product. Even if the end result is just more options for color variety. Also increase the bonus if high levels are grouped with low levels, kind of master and apprentice relationship;
    eg:

Maddog, low level (if he is ever released) is crafting a bean and pea pie which would give a stat of +4 movement.
    Siega, low level is crafting a Black forest Gatteau to give a +2 dodge bonus
    JarNod, high level is crafting a potato sandwich (Ohio has the potatoes right ?)
    Black Wolf, high level is crafting a table for his house and has a color palette of 15 colors to choose from.

Grouped in separate locations (as many would like for their crafting inventory) they each recieve a 0.5% increase in the stats and BW gets another 5 colors to choose from.

Grouped at a trading center at a hub or crafting machine they get a .75% bonus and BW gets 10 colors to choose from. Obviously it cant be cumulative and needs just a high level crafter present or not flag to increase the stat. Kinda like real life people cooking together learning new skills from each other and such ?
  2. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Darkspur likes this.
  3. Darkspur

Yeah hadnt seen that but thanks Guide, similar principals, I was thinking along the lines of just experience gained from a bunch of guys looking at an engine, chatting about it and fixing it, or a couple of people discussing recipies and the best flour to use etc.
    But the end aim is to get people out of their houses and to the hub a little more (biggest bonus) or craft from home (lesser bonus) rather than alone (no bonus). The bonus could also be in some way linked to the quality of the hub itself built by the settler maybe too ?
  4. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I am excited about how crafting sounds different and cant wait to check it out! I like the idea of group crafting but man what a pain that can turn into if your looking for one person to join for crafting all day.
  5. Darkspur

Oh for sure, but if its non critical things eg: a chair then not so much need to group, so long as the bonus isnt too high then its just an added niceness to be able to get that.
    Cause if youre a perfectionist using 90+% quality materials all the time then it would become an obsession LOL
    Would be also good to have some items you can only assemble if in a group too, that would drive the community interaction more too. ie: High skill multicomponent items.
  6. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I joined just so I could participate in this idea. Group crafting. It just makes so much sense.

Now you idea is kind of basic giving people a buff when they craft in groups, but what about people crafting together not just next to each other. I picture a stone soup type system. One person can add the carrots, someone else can add the cabbage, finally someone adds the meat and they they all get to eat.

You couldn't do it with a static recipe system. If your just following a recipe, then no ones input or ideas matter. You need a system that is more free form where you can make all kinds of choices about what to use. In my mind, I am picturing the minecraft crafting grid. You know the one, where you make crude drawings of the item you want to make. Everyone would share the grid. You can add items to it, move items around, use skills on the items. Then when your done everyone gets a copy of the item you all made together. (Unless it's a building then no one gets it because it's just built.)

So for example. Lets say I am crafting with some friends. I could stack three rocks on top of each other to make a tower. Then my friend who is a stone cutter, could use his mason skill to turn the rocks into bricks to make it a stronger tower. Maybe another friend adds a bolt of cloth to the side to act as a flag. Then I decided that the flag should really be blue, so I use a dye I have in my inventory. When everything is done, I can decided to craft the tower. My partners would have the chance to pull out if they don't like how things turned out, but if they agree with the result the tower would be built.
    Darkspur likes this.
  7. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

that would be an amazing way (the shared crafting UI) for different crafting professions to craft a thing together. Like maybe a component for the warplot floating fortress thing.
    Darkspur likes this.
  8. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Potatoes? Ohio? What?!? :p
    Darkspur likes this.
  9. Darkspur

Oh yeah sorry Idaho for potatoes, got it ;)
  10. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Ohio doesn't have potatoes? They don't know what they are missing.:)
    JarNod likes this.
  11. Darkspur

We're going off topic <ALARM> (Im trying to correct my old wicked ways cant you tell ?) so the Lime.....English have Chip Butties which are basically potatoe's Sandwiches ? !

nomotog love the idea bud, not exactly sure how it would work so gonna check out the Minecraft model and get up to speed but for sure thats a good idea.
  12. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I could see myself sitting my house crafting with guildies like a quilting circle.

For some reason I'm also thinking about potlucks where you bring something you make to a friends house and eat a bunch of random stuff - I make a mean chili
    Darkspur and Dyraele like this.
  13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Can't be mean enough ... and btw, if that chili is as mean as you, I'm not worried! ;) :p
    cali likes this.
  14. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

The secret world also used a grid system. They use a 5x4 where minecraft uses 3x3. It's a system where what you make is based on how things are arranged well how good it is is based on what you make it out of. Like if you placed 3 pieces of wood in a line, then you would make a wooden staff, but if you put them in a L shape then you would get boomerang. Then if you used metal rather then wood you might end up with a weapon that dose more damage, but attacks slower.
    Darkspur likes this.
  15. Darkspur

TSW yeah I tried that, its a good addition to a crafting system for sure, there is an element of randomness about it that I couldnt really get used to at the time, I didnt stay with TSW for long maybe it got better.

I think something hybrid with recipes and with the grid could work, allows people to experiment with the grid when they have materials but also just hit production mode hard with recipes. Hardcore crafters would want the predictability and math of a recipie to make best on server stuff using top quality materials but the grid would be awesome as a sink for materials not up to the par for the hardcore stuff.

Also has some good relevance for reverse engineering and recycling materials too. Heck could even have an achievement line for 'best recycling' Eco warrior badges :D virtual recycling ! thats mad LOL :D
  16. Darkspur

Im banned from pot lucks on account of giving myself food poisoning several times :sick: people that know me ask to see the store reciepts now :notworthy:
    JarNod likes this.
  17. Aheadache

So if there were a party of 5 all doing Alchemy what kind of bonus are you talking about Darkspur? Could that max out the bonus given on Alchemy and crate uber awesome potions and poisons? Or would you not want to group with and craft with other people doing Alchemy to create "group" crafted items?

Wonder if Hobbies will affect anything similar.
  18. Darkspur

No I wasnt going that deep into it and to be honest it has to be minor bonus to prevent misuse, ie: Sunday night the Netherlanders all get together in game and craft some kind of uber sword (They still have swords over there right ?).
    Bonus would be a flat 'grouped' bonus for any crafters grouped (but could be different locations) idea there is just to get people to know each other, establish ingame contacts and maybe chat in the group chat.
    If all together at the same location (irrespective of different crafts otherwise too much segregation) they would get a slightly higher bonus but not cumulative. Idea there is to encourage crafters out of their caves and to the hubs or crafting stations.
    So nothing earth shattering but just a little boost to crafting that could compensate for lesser quality materials. If it worked would make sense for hobbies to have it to for sure.
  19. Darkspur

eg: Say Aheadache, an amateur Chemist, wants to craft the potion of enduring lasting love for his pet.
    Skreetch blood at 48% quality and Stemdragon buds at 48% quality. End product could be the potion at 48% value (average of) and giving 4.8 (Rounded down) so +4 Pet loyalty (boost to pet damage output say)

But
    When grouped with Black Wolf, a skilled Chemist (or other trade) he gets a 10% bonus to material quality, based on BW's wide knowledge of materials and refining process's. The 10%bonus is enough for him to achieve a 52.8% quality product so that would be +5 Pet loyalty potion.

If they were at the same location, encouraging crafters out of their sparsly lit and over inventoried houses ;) then the boost could be say 20% or something.

Actual figures cause would be whatever devs feel best fits their system
  20. Aheadache

Well that would be cool and it makes much more sense, thanks. It would be cool to have group crafting with bonus, I agree it would be community building to some degree. Now where am I going to find 4 friends?

I plan on being a mad scientist :geek:
    Darkspur likes this.