1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Crafting in a group

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Darkspur, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

Go with the Exiles bud ;) plenty of friends there :D
  2. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I don't care for randomness in crafting myself. If I got to design wildstar's system, I wouldn't make it random. I would have recipes in a way. You would learn them by doing them though not by leveling up. Leveling up wouldn't give you access to the recipe, but access to the materials and you would have to figure out the recipes as you go. Like level 20 leather working dosen't give you the recipe for hard leather pants, but it lets you use hard leather on the grid and then lets you figure out how to make hard leather pants on your own.

Most recipes would be easy to guess. After you made your leather pants, you can figure out hard leather pants by swapping out all the leather for hard leather because they both use the same shape, but maybe hard leather has a secret where if you swap out the knees with metal then you make reenforced leather.

I would also let you see the result before you crafted it. As you arrange your materials, there would be a little box that shows you what the result would be if you hit the craft button. The game would also store any recipes you find, so you can go back and quick craft them.

The idea is to inject an element of exploration into crafting.
  3. Darkspur

I like it, especially the preview box idea, dont think TSW had that when I played (real early).:up:

Randomness would just be for reverse engineering components, kinda a separate mini game within crafting but still giving something random that may be of use for crafting or hobbies as a component.

I still think some would want the recipies too, would be mad if through the course of history no-one noted down the recipie .....with my real life cooking (lack of) skills I would be dead in a week :eek: .......but I get your idea where you can quick craft those youve done before thats good :) and I really like the exploration in crafting idea.

Wildstar seems to be breaking the sound barrier with giving players choices in how they play so any and all ideas here are good. :D
  4. Kraylore

Kraylore New Cupcake

Hmm, why stop there? Think with me for a moment.

Imagine a competitive crafting style of instance (similar to say 'Battlegrounds'), except more crafting orientated.

For example:
    You queue with a group of 5 and are thrown into a scenario where you have to gather scattered materials. You have to work together to treasure hunt the materials that you need, before returning to the craft bench. You could include a puzzle system for the craft bench (with a shared UI), where players need to combine the materials in a certain way to finish what you are building (maybe include indicators to show that your on the right track, or some way of locking in the right combinations as you try different things).

The team to craft their item (or items) first wins.

You could add complexity by:
    - Incorrect puzzle attempts use up gathered materials, meaning you need to gather more
    - Adding PvP or PvE elements when gathering materials

Rewards:
    - Normal XP
    - Crafting XP
    - Crafting success rate buff
    - Rare or crafting materials your level

Moving away from competitive crafting, it'd be interesting to see how group crafting could work. I have a feeling Carbine are moving more towards a single but dynamic crafting system - but whose to say it wouldn't be hard to add bonuses or implement a group crafting UI. A 'weapons' and 'amour' trades could team up for armor penetration or bonus damage on crafted pieces. Or maybe a chosen 'path' could play a part - explorers with bonuses to movement speed or the like?
    SiegaPlays and Darkspur like this.
  5. Darkspur

LOL that would be a blast for sure, building puzzle rafts to escape a volcanic island LMAO would be fun for sure, endless possibilities and has that kind of reality TV feel to it too, GREAT idea Kraylore :up:
    Just so long as its an option to regular crafting, otherwise I would become a nervous wreck LOL :D
    Kraylore likes this.
  6. nomotog

Oh the idea with crafting PvP reminds me of runescape. They have quite a few different mini games with ether a crafting component or are entirely crafting. They also do a very nice job of making crafting a very large part of there game.
    Kraylore and Darkspur like this.
  7. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

I remember a dungeon of sort to level magic, which was pretty fun and great xp. This was so long ago, that's basically all I remember, but I do remember it was awesome.

OH, the rewards were the badass looking magic gear. Rainbow colors or something. That was pretty tight.
    Darkspur likes this.
  8. nomotog

That was the mage training arena. You got to use your non combat spells in a series of mini games. That was extra impressive because it didn't have to add any spells. They already had several non combat spells. All they did was give you a place to use them. That's one of the neat things about runecape, it's not completely wrapped up in combat like most mmos are.
    arnold and Darkspur like this.
  9. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

Ah, that's right.
  10. nomotog

What about group mining? Group anything is problem the domain of the settler. Maybe they will have the ability to drop a mining platform that gives a bonus to everyone around it.
    Darkspur likes this.
  11. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Or a scientist creates a gizmo depth detector gauge to that increases the groups mining \ resource gathering bonuses via area affect when set in a zone.

And then hands out microwaved peeps for +2 gathering skill.
    Darkspur likes this.
  12. nomotog

You know we need a dedicated crafting thread. Should this be it or should we make another?
    Darkspur likes this.
  13. Darkspur

I think we had a few suggestion threads for crafting before, with the Arkship coming up there WILL be a crafting gamer there to interrogate I mean politely ask the devs more about crafting. That will help but any ideas here or the arkship thread would be good so they can be easily referenced while the gamer is there at the event for sure bud.