1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cross server dungeon finder confirmed

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Mar 13, 2013.

1. John

John "That" Cupcake

My interest in this game just dropped dramatically with that announcement. Aside from hurting community a great deal, LFD also assures that dungeons will be faceroll.
    Praiz, Loveless, JarNod and 3 others like this.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I'm with ya. The answers today on a few things were disconcerting. This and one weapon style per class have placed a serious damper on my enthusiasm.
    Praiz, Rogosh and Loveless like this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead New Cupcake

Quite upsetting indeed. Wish they went with a non cross-server version.
    Praiz and Loveless like this.
  4. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I'm concerned, but cautiously optimistic that the Social Team will be looking at and hopefully finding a solution. For instance, what if when you go cross-realm you have access to a lobby/channel where you can talk to others in that queue?
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  5. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

It's always a topic that splits the waters, and one I have very mixed feelings on myself. On one hand, I'm really not a fan of what it did to for instance the WoW mentality. On the other hand, I also remember the days of spending -hours- asking for more people in specific zones, just to run a medium level dungeon.
    The effect it had in WoW I believe was not simply a matter of creating a dungeon finder, but several different factors that all contributed to the face-roll mentality we see today.
    Also the sheer power of heirloom gear means that players have an often way too easy time with content that before would require them to learn to play together.
    The dungeons for instance also got much easier at the lower levels, plus, the sheer amount of players in WoW created a different mentality of entitlement, that I don't think you'll necessarily see in every other game with a dungeon finder.

To be honest, it's not something that bothers me really, I can see pros and cons with both having it and leaving it out. Until I've actually played the game and see how it works, I'm not going to be able to say if I think it's bad for the game, so I choose to remain optimistic :)
    3seed and Fate Flyer like this.
  6. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

If they can glue it together with cross-server social tools to augment it, it could end up being a boon in the long run.

But in general, I'm against a random dungeon finder that groups you up with people you don't know. Group content shouldn't be designed to be done by a group of strangers who aren't communicating with each other.

From Carbine's perspective, they have to make sure that there are enough players for critical mass for their game systems to work at all times, so they do need the player resources.

It's a tough one, but I'd lean toward no cross-server auto-grouping, and certainly not for anything above dungeon level (no raids)!
    Yakzan likes this.
  7. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

My problem with them is human nature will always win out. I can either click a button and go about my day doing whatever and get my group for my dungeon. Or, I can try and set up a group from server whether it's a pug or guild group. I'll try and do the latter but my experience shows that the former will be more popular.

As for Zaps idea of a lobby, that might help as long as you can change things if you find folks you want to group with.
    John and Rakkis like this.
  8. Zap-Robo

Yeah, we're theorycrafting on IRC/Chat a bit. A system where you can begin to make partial groups and perhaps even flag people as preferred matches for future queues cross-realm in that lobby as well.

From the same AMA, the devs also said "Cross-Server friends lists and other social connectivity features are built into the Social Team's feature plan." so there will be communication channels open regardless of where you teamed with somebody from.
    Yakzan and Mudfin like this.
  9. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

I completely empathize with the concern of cross realm dungeon finding, but I find it better than not having one at all. Perhaps when beta testing gets under way this can be something the testers explore with Carbine and try to come up with a balance.
  10. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

Oh, the option to do dungeons with friends from other servers would be quite awesome, since cross-server dungeon runs are in place. And here, I mean specific people on your friends list, since as Zap said, those will be cross-server. It would especially be strong if they decide to have regional servers. As someone who have played several times on US servers while living in EU, I would have loved the ability to be on a US server, but still do dungeons with my EU friends when our online times matched, and since I'll be moving to US soon, it would be a great way of getting to play with the EU friends I "leave behind".
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It certain is a thing they need to be cautious with, they can either totally ace it (please hope they do), mess up as WoW (they messed up in my opinion), or be a bit of both (mediocre?).

But in other threads people already said that the player base will never get as big as WoW in the beginning just because of the wide spread of MMO's and other games nowadays. So someway I can see why they chose to use this system. It can smooth things out, but since I want my dungeons to NOT be a faceroll, walk in the park, oh we can 4-man it, kind of dungeons. So i hope they won't make the dungeon easier because they think you need it because you team up with random people.

Even if you go with random people communicating should be the key in a dungeon, a dungeon is for PLAYING TOGETHER, so as long as the dungeons are still challenging i don't see a problem.

+1 Important thing you come up with, hope they make something like it.
  12. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I'm really really concerned as well. But I have enough trust in Carbine to wait on how the Social Team thinks they can solve the -known- problems that comes with cross-realm tools.

I'm awaiting their answer.
  13. Loveless

Loveless Cupcake

I am actually happy to see a little bit of hesitation toward an announcement on here though. It speaks well of a community when the fans don't all rush to defend a company's decision, we're allowed to criticize and discuss things that we're not too fond of.

There are a ton of benefits to the cross-server sitch, but what it comes down to is the sacrifice of social graces on the altar of conveniance. It gets even worse when you take into account trying to RP in a group of muggles...
    Mudfin and Yakzan like this.
  14. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I've been busy on IRC about this and I have lots of opinions and such but I need to do some gruntwork so I'll just point to the thread I made about cross-realm features which you can find either here or in my signature.
  15. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Yeah, this is a minus for me, no matter what social tools are put in place. I take pride in my server and players are generally more respectful when they are in a restricted community.
    John and Loveless like this.
  16. Zap-Robo

Can't see why we couldn't have a flag option to say "Home Server Only" as well.
    azmundai, 3seed, JCwildthing and 4 others like this.
  17. Loveless

Loveless Cupcake

Why haven't more games done this!?!?!

Loveless becomes an instant fan of Zap-Robo, but then is immediately overwhelmed by fear as he realizes that he probably lives under 10 minutes or so from him.
  18. John

John "That" Cupcake

The sliver of hope i'm holding on to is that maybe it will only be for normal dungeons, not heroics.
    Loveless likes this.
  19. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

True but I like it when a developer just says 'No' and draws a line. Like, this is your server, your choice and you can bloody well like it. Rift for example, started life with huge plans for future faction RvR. The whining minority eventually chipped away till we got cross server dungeons, cross faction guilds, no fall damage, no danger of spontaneous PvP.

I'm not saying don't listen to or pre-empt your players requests but give em an inch...
  20. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

That's a really good point and a really good idea! It would completely remove the problem.
    It would be especially great if you can toggle it on and off, because I also have some server pride and would most of the time really enjoy toggling "Home Server Only" on, but once in a while, you'r in a bit of a rush and really just need a specific dungeon done, and then you could get a broader scope of people quickly.