1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cross server dungeon finder confirmed

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Mar 13, 2013.

1. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

completely disagree. first if this is true, the industry should respond, and make the dungeons harder.

modern instances are undertuned, by a lot. I havent played MOP much but remember being online the day people in my guild started hitting 90. they cleared most of the heroics in one night. the first night they were 90. these aren't what I would call hardcore, prodigy types. just average people in an average guild.

there used to be patrols. now there are one or two and the challenge is actually to pull them before they run off so you can kill them in aoe faster. something you rarely did in maradon or any other pre wrath instance.

there is ZERO cc in instances now. when you ask someone to cc something they laugh at you and pull extra mobs and you still walk away with your healer at 70% mana, with dps tanking 1/2 the mobs.
  2. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Yea, one doesn't necessitate the other. You can have legitimately challenging instances regardless of what tools you give players to make groups for these instances. Normal/hard modes help, as well, though it's important to remember that normal mode versions of dungeons and raids don't have to be faceroll. Consider them different degrees of difficulty, not "easy" and "hard".
  3. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

oh god!! the pats, i love and hate the pats!! I had nightmares about the pats in Gnomeregan!! Mainly, the ramp going down to the last boss, there was a patting alarm bot. someone aggro'd it in the trench from up on the ramp. it ran down the trench, to the door by the boss, and then back up, aggro'ing every. single. mob. on the whole ramp. oh god it was horrible! and this was with 3 of us being just above the level for Gnomer, and the other two were at least level 50s! and it was a level 50 that had aggro'd!! we ran tried to run.....but it was horrible. it would have taken us an hour to get back to that point after the wipe, so we scrapped the run.

it was the most amazing and the most horrible pat aggro EVAR....
  4. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

im pretty sure that was a bug. that happened a lot, and at times it truly appeared that no one had aggroed, ie everyone was standing up against the wall the whole time. I think the alarm bots aggro through the floor/wall and there isn't much of a way to avoid that scenario aside from luck basically.

it still happens too. the only thing that can wipe you <60 :) aside from player error and even that usually doesnt wipe you anymore :)
  5. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

Well for one it would get you out of the capitals and hopefully experiencing the content in the zone where the dungeon would be. I never said you had to stand outside the dungeon for queue. In my mind you would just activate it and continue adventuring in the surrounding areas.

Back in vanilla wow, you had to pretty much be in zone and spam the zone channel. It sucked but at least people were out questing.

Dungeons should never be about grinding solely.
    Vembumees and Yakzan like this.
  6. Shaigh

Shaigh Cupcake

People experience the world when they are questing, but once you reach level cap the world is barren and you are mostly left with doing dungeons. You can't do content that doesn't exist anymore, and that's why people stand in the capitals.

The difference we will see in wildstar is that fewer people will be in capitals and instead they will be at their house and fiddle with the interior and exterior while they wait for their dungeons to pop.
  7. WildHawk

WildHawk Cupcake

whats a cross server dungeon ?
  8. Kezzo

Kezzo New Cupcake

Did anyone got a reliable Source, or do you just speculating about nothing?
    Funny how a thread this big can grow several pages, without someone asking about the source.
  9. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

I have to disagree with you as well. Completely. The industry doesn't respond, because most of the industry responds to casual gamers. New players, you know, for who heroics are hard at this day.

Modern instances are undertuned only after nerfs, tbc heroics were cleaned within first whoop too, few only were slightly harder than the others, but the experienced players still facerolled them. Only thing that made clearing heroics in TBC timeconsuming was that if you remember or played, you had to farm revered reputation to enter heroics, which meant you had to grind a lot of 5mans or do all the zone quests and like 5 5man normals.

In vanilla none of the instances were hard either, actually 5mans were rather faceroll. Most of the people were just new to the genre or unfamiliar with any mechanics. If you remember, there weren't a lot of theorycraft places. I mean I did use thottbot and allakhazam or something, but even that only contained very scarce amount of information, most of the players didn't even know how to build their characters properly and weren't used to minmax rotations. People didn't even know when they were underperforming due to the lack of mods that these days throw all statistics and info to your face.

You could AoEfarm everything in WoW before too. It wasn't something that occured later, it was just soemthing that was not popular. Remember, there weren't youtube guides or anything liek that what people are spoiled with today. The minmax and good players aoefarmed 5mans like theres no tomorrow in vanilla and tbc. Players like that didn't run with public groups. The aoefarming was just a trend that was slowly discovered and growing, but was done all the time.

Don't be nostalgic and just think. EQ or WoW vanilla won't be as hard anymore than you remember it if you go back to it 10 years later. People evolve.
  10. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

TBH I could care less about the social element involved with x-server dungeons. Most of the runs will be done in guild anyways, and since I generally play a tank I never feel like I am hurting for a group, generally the opposite. That being said. I hate x-server dungeons with a passion, because people tend to care less about their actions when they know you are never going to see them again. Pricks, D-Bags, Ninja Looters, were f'd in old games if they screwed over enough groups. In games like wow you can get 2-3 d-bags in a row that just come in, pull a bunch of <REDACTED>, try and train you, and then complain because the healer had to sit and get mana. It usually then escalates to them rolling on whatever they can, and telling you all to f-off before they leave. Doesn't happen every run, but prior to x-realm dungeon finders, people were a lot more respectful because you didn't want a bad reputation in game.

edit: In pve. Love them D-bags in PvP usually =P
    Vembumees likes this.
  11. Vembumees

You can, it works really simple. LFD finds you a group and people have to walk to the instance or at least 2 people have to enter the instance manually and be able to summon the rest of the group. Being able to get two people to walk to the dungeon entrance already is a sign of teamwork and makes them want to leave the group less after some minor complication. A fine example from modern mmorpg - "you didn't hold aggro of that one add, it attacked me and I had to stop dps on boss. I am done with noobs bye". If the billibob joe who I mentioned would had walked to the instance himself, then he probably would had kept his opinion to himself and be nicer, because he wouldn't want to leave and walk there again until he finds a group who meets his high standards.
    Avenged likes this.
  12. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

If they have the tech then this is a good idea. I have no idea how the programming would work but one of the things about how its implemented in wow, is you are no longer on your server when the group is ported in. Same reason it ports you back to wherever you last where when you left your home server. TBH though I do not think they are going to do this. If they are giving us the option of a permanent portal to raids from our homes, then why would they force people to run for dungeons? As much as it is hated by many people there are going to be some things that are going to be most likely given up in the name of mass appeal. On a good note though, I do remember reading or hearing it in the wsc podcast is that one of the aims is that heroics should not be able to be completed by a random group of people. That it would require a coordinated group. Since they seem to talk so much about the Elder game, basically max level, maybe these conveniences that give mass appeal will become meaningless, and the communities will still at least be able to have what they want at max level.
  13. Vembumees

Implementing that would be easy peasy, most of the features are easy to implement, it's only hard to come up with new ones ;). What just takes a lot of time in features is designing and planning. And yeah, I don't think WildStar would go with anything like that either, EVEN THOUGH, THEY HAVE SAID THEY DON'T TARGET WOW'S CURRENT AUDIENCE, BUT THE ONES THAT HAVE ALREADY QUIT IT FOR WHATEVER REASONS AND DISLIKINGS. So there is hope that they might have some interesting combo planned. But yeah, I have a feeling that the modern LFD system stays. I mean, I hate the system, but I'll live with it. But the one who has never lived without it, probably won't, because he doesn't understand the perks or just doesn't care enough about them.
  14. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

Doing dungeons with random people on my own server

Or

Doing dungeons with random people from any server

LFD does not and did not magically makes dungeons easier to do. It made it more convenient to get a group for a dungeon.
  15. salazar

salazar Cupcake-About-Town

they didn't magical make dungeons easiere but they were designed easiere after LFD/LFG was implemented. Atleast that is my experience from wow/rift.

Anyway, im am not to bothered.
  16. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

It's good. I don't relish the idea of spamming trade chat for 30 min-1 hour to find a damn tank AND being stuck in the city while doing so when I could quest or farm.

Yes, I admit that we shouldn't have such features but the truth is we actually need them in the long run.

Even Bioware added LFG to swtor eventually inspite of going "holier than thou" with Blizzard and stating SWTOR is trying to move away from what Blizzard is doing. The joke was on them eventually.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  17. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Remember, Carbine has stated that they're going to change things up and make it so that even at Elder Game, you're going to be going back to older (lower level) zones for new content, keeping the world more relevant.
    Mudfin likes this.
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

reliable source for which information. the fact that there will be X-server LFG? yes, we have the reddit AMAA for that. if it's something else, point me to the info you want a source for, and i'll dig for it.
  19. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

I disagree. In wow you can stay in capital and level to cap using the LFG. While its nice for max level characters to have a convenient way of dungeon grinding, the system is abused by players leveling. It is sad to quest in Wow 20-60, especially after Blizzard remade pretty much all the zones in that level range.
  20. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I disagree. While it is indeed possible to level entirely in the LFG, after a certain level, albeit pretty high, dungeons stop giving too much experience and you will find yourself running the same 1 or 2 dungeons endlessly as the XP gain is pathetic. At this point you either really like doing those dungeons OR you're on the verge of a nervous breakdown.