1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

customize-able/color weapon&ability

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by sloane sawdon, Jan 30, 2014.

1. sloane sawdon

sloane sawdon New Cupcake

what about if we get a sword and we like its states but not the color of the blade?, like if we want the red blade with black handle to instead be green blade with a red handle? and is their a means to change the color of our ability's? like the espers attacks from a blue to a pink?

2. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

idk but different color attacks would be cool but I doubt it would be implemented.

3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Not for launch. There is a fully working dye/costume system, some things like weapons are not being effected by it for launch. It may/will come later.

4. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

That's good to hear. I really hated doing some of the transmog runs in WoW just to get a certain piece of gear in a certain color. So many types of sets I had to give up on because I knew I'd never be able to get the right look.

5. deathtotherepublic

deathtotherepublic Cupcake

im very excited about all of the options to customize in this game so far and into the future

6. Livnthedream

Implying dyes will actually facilitate that. Besides the fact that we can't control what parts get colored, you also have the same issue that always plagues dye systems, the texture changes the color. You can take the exact same color and apply it to all of your gear and they will be different shades. Its why I personally detest dye systems.

7. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

There was another thread about this a few months ago and people were really positive about it. People love any chance to customize their character because it helps to make their character unique. Someone you can easily pick out of a crowd. I would really love the ability to color my esper's powers. It would also be extra neat to use the dye system on an engineer's robots. Pink Doombots everywhere! Pew! Pew!

Truth is that Wildstar looks to have relatively limit options for customizations. At launch anyway. It really only breaks down to two or three things.

We don't have body sliders. The most we have are facial sliders. At least, from what we've seen.

We have the dye system which alters the color of our armor and costume pieces.

Finally we have a kind of a transmog type thing where we can switch the appearance of items.

Ideally, it would be great to see the dye system expanded so that we could use it to color weapons, abilities, and their effects. I think that dye coloring abilities might be relatively easy from a programmer's perspective. However, dye coloring items like weapons? I wonder if that would require a revamp of things? I'm not sure, but if it can be done with armor it seems likely it could be done with weapons.

Body sliders would be great, but very few games have those anymore. The odds of us getting anything like that pretty much don't exist. It would be nice to have a height slider. It would also be nice to have the ability to choose body types much like in Guild Wars 2.

8. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

Medics with different color attacks and their attacks shade into different colors as well, play some dubstep, and just win every PvP match by giving the other team seizures.

Seriously on customization, I find that most of it goes to waste. In GW2, with all those dyes, you would see the same 20 color combinations for nearly every person. People tend to find the "popular" look and most customization just doesn't happen. Not to say that people couldn't do whatever they want, but if the majority of players don't make good use of customizing then I don't believe many resources would go to expand that.

9. XDRage

XDRage New Cupcake

Multiple colours on skills for esper and medic would result in the best techno party on eart... I mean Nexus :p I would be quite cool but I'm not sure if that would be that easy to implement... and for pvp everything would have to be normalised (otherwise I would just set everything to green/blue and irritate enemies)

10. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

Regardless it's better than having to find another version of the same gear just for a different color. I can deal with the other factors. It's the much lesser of two evils as far as I'm concerned.

11. deathtotherepublic

deathtotherepublic Cupcake

Well they still have time for that. I know that it will be added before or shortly after launch. Either way the game play looks amazing and I'd rather the game be super fun and able to edit the character later if needs be

12. Livnthedream

Except it still doesn't match. :) Many times you do still need to find another piece of loot with different texture mapping to get the effect that you want. I had to do it often in Rift.

13. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

What if they had texture edits on the dye system? I would actually use this as I hardly ever change colors but sometimes I just want to get that super shine off.

14. Livnthedream

Depending on the system itself (I would need to tear into the file system to see how objects are saved) thats actually not possible. Most textures are tied to specific objects. Such a system could be made that switches out the piece of gear itself but then you tend to run into issues with the database. Generally dye systems merely change the rgb value on the piece of gear that you currently have saved to your character in the database, which is a fairly trivial change.

15. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

It's still a lot closer to a match and less of a time sink then the other option, which was my point. I stand by my reasoning/decision. This is simply of case where we'll have to agree to disagree I suppose.

16. Livnthedream

The best response from people who know they are being unreasonable because their opinion does not match with fact.

17. sloane sawdon

sloane sawdon New Cupcake

yea i know that is something that has annoyed me in some games was the texture feature was supposed to be metal with a shine/polished look off it but it turned out to look like plastic, when i get a big gun or robot turret i want it to look metal, feel metal and even taste metal if be, not be plastic cause then its just not a gun to me, its a toy, and i want something im going to be blasting the <REDACTED> out of with to be SHINNY/reflectively polished.

18. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

Umm... sure. Or maybe I just don't, you know, agree with you. I see this system as a good thing. It won't be perfect, but it'll be better than having to find specific pieces of gear simply for the color. Whether you agree or not at this point I don't particularly care. I base it on experiences I've had with customizing my characters which I like to do when possible. It's my opinion and I'm not really sure where you took some sort of offense to it but it is most certainly not wrong or unreasonable.

19. Livnthedream

Because its not the same color. The shades will still be off. You still end up looking like a clown. Maybe you are not sensitive to color, or just do not care much about it. Though that doesn't make sense if you value a dye system in the first place.