1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Death penalties

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Another_Alex, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Another_Alex

Another_Alex Cupcake

I would love to see some form of death penalties. Die, and you lose a level, or two, and half your gold, perhaps a few pieces of gear. I hope Wildstar reintroduces some form of death penalties ( permanent damage, say, losing half an exp bar ( and actually being able to level backwards if you die too much ). They were going to make this game hardcore, so I don't think it's totally out of the question.
  2. Sinnis

Sinnis New Cupcake

If you would lose a lvl just by dieing anywhere, that will make PvP, Dungeons with maybe lower lvl players or under geared players imposible to do and moreover very costly.

If there would be some death penalty, sure, but not as extreme as this one
  3. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

Path of Exile (probably the most hardcore RPG on the market,with of the most hardcore crowds playing it),has a 15% XP penalty on death,and even that one makes people complain,imagine losing a whole level (or two) like you propose,people would go out of their minds.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

And even lose levels when at max?

I can see that happen....oh how everyone would love to raid :p
  5. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

This is so 2001...

I'm the kind of player who LOVED to kill low levels, corpse camping and other "dirty" things on WoW, i used to have so much fun doing that but even to a swindler like me, this is cruel and i think this was an old bad idea that ruled old MMOs.

And what about dungeons? Really someone is in the minimum level of the dungeon, he dies and can't enter no more until level again?

About money, if the loss is small enough to not screw up but expensive enough to make you being more cautions, i agree. Something like 1% per death. But increases if you die frequently. And when you reach maximum level, the gold loss penalty ends.
  6. Hellspawnx

Hellspawnx Cupcake

Man this idea is as good as the person who suggested a weekly level cap. You two should team up make an MMO with 5 levels a week cap and lose a level everytime you die and see how that game works out for you's.
  7. Hellspawnx

Hellspawnx Cupcake

LoL I didnt realize until I went back to the forum section that you and the person who made the weekly level cap ideas were the same person haahahaha. Im starting too wonder if your just trolling the community.
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  8. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

I find death penalties like that just silly. The wasted time, the getting zapped back to a graveyard (or waiting for a resurrection), and having to start a fight over are all more than sufficient reasons to force you to be cautious. I've never once -- literally, not one -- ever went "Damn, I died! Oh I'm so upset that I'm losing a few gold coins now! Arrrrgh! Especially while leveling, where it's direly important to stay alive at all costs anyway, even though others claim this is supposed to be a learning experience where failure is expected."

Seriously, it's kind of dumb. Doubly so when you see developers rationalize it's existence solely as a gold sink.
    Neurotic Cucpake likes this.
  9. XMtSforever

XMtSforever New Cupcake

I personally don't want death penalties or rather minimal death penalties. I *hate* *hate* *hate* having to run back through areas I was just in or fight dudes I just fought. That sort of pointless repetition kills me. Half the time, I just hit esc and quit right then and there and just come back later. I agree that the wasted time and having to run back to your body are punishment enough. I mean like, when I'm practising the piano, it doesn't slap me and make me wait 5 minutes to try again whenever I screw up.
  10. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

A too harsh penalty prevents creating challenging content, reason games where you are able to lose a lot aren't know for the difficulty in encounters.

It also hinders experimenting and participation in PvP.
    The reference to "hardcore" was not about this type of thing but more about a more challenging game.

Now i'm for death penalties as they make people think twice before doing something, so it makes the player want to play smart rather than to brute force everything.

So it has to be something that's balanced out as either extreme is pointless.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  11. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I can see harsh death penalties working in some mmos. Like if you could level to cap in less then a hour and all loot of a 100% dropt. That might create a neat Yo-Yo like experience of advancement unlike any other mmo, or you know it might fall apart at the seems.
  12. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, not the best thought-out solution. Some games used to do that, but in 10% increments. A whole level would do the following:
    - raid night? Better not wipe. If anyone in your 40-man team dies during a VERY hard fight, BOOM. Can't wear his gear anymore, can't be in the raid anymore, has to spend a few hours catching up.
    - PvP? Oh that highlevel guy is griefing you, killing you whenever you level so that you downlevel again? Tough luck.
    - New player and make a mistake? Have fun leveling up without your weapon which is now higher level than you, and the old one was sold.

This is only a few of the scenarios, raiders certainly will be hit hard by the loss of ALL their gear until they re-level. Sorry, but no.
  13. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

Yeah, this feature was something that existed in FF11. I wasn't fond of it, especially considering the amount of grind to be had in that game. I think if it was in Wildstar I'll have flashbacks to Valkrum Dunes... oh god, the horror!
  14. Creed

Creed New Cupcake

Yea, some of the penalties suggested are a bit harsh indeed. A little xp loss is no biggie. I played a ton of games with that feature and as long as you are just a bit tactical of what you do and where you go, it can easily be made back. Losing levels would anger me. I certainly hope that never gets implemented.

Losing items, hmmm.

Yes, that would anger me to lol. Im on the fence on that one though.
  15. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I'm pro-death penalty, I think it's just the right thing to do in many-- oh, death penalties. For like when your little digital avatar bites the dust.

No, thank you. The people who care about playing well will remember the shame of any death well enough to make it something they want to avoid. The people who don't care about bettering their own performance will instead just become more cowardly, suspicious, and quick to blame other players for their own mistakes.
    Ianpact likes this.
  16. Shishioh

Shishioh New Cupcake

In my mind, WoW had it right. Lose durability on gear when you die, coupled with corpse running (or the optional Pay Gold to Spawn at Graveyard).

It is a penalty, since when you die you have to run back to your corpse and for most people you think about what went wrong during the encounter etc. If you simply cba, then you pay your hard earned gold to spawn close to a town (generally).

There's nothing wrong to use systems that are established and accepted by millions of players. Even if Wildstar would rip WoW's system right off, I'd still play it, since Wildstar is a game that's right up my alley due to it's very interesting story and fun looking graphics!
    Gronky likes this.
  17. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Have you experienced Everquest death penalties before?

Ugh. Noooo thank yooouuu....
  18. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

You're a cruel, cruel person :D.

When I played Everquest 2, years ago, before Wow, I came across a bunch of players I grew quite attached to. Really nice people who had taken to doing very little because they had one-and-a-half levels experience debt. Although they adored the game the penalties had made them averse to taking risk. It denied them the progress they wanted to make and robbed them of enthusiasm -infact the only thing that kept them in game was their friendship. But even that only goes so far in MMOs and eventually, one by one, they departed.

I'm sure we've all been in groups that have wiped and the degree of hostility this sometimes rouses, the only penalties incurred some repairs and probably more important from their perspective important time. I shudder to think if someone's error caused peoples' levels to fall :eek:. It's not the kind of mechanic that is going to raise laughter at those silly things that occasionally happen and would without doubt deter people from attempting potentially difficult things :).
    Apostate likes this.
  19. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I never actually played EQ, but I played a lot of UO and FFXI. In UO, you could lose all your gear from dying if another player looted your corpse before you could get back to it. And it wasn't just a WoW deal where you could run, as a ghost with super speed, back to your body to resurrect. You had to go find a healer that could resurrect you from ghost form, then you had to run back in the mortal world (naked or with something you had in the bank)to get to your corpse. Needless to say, dying in the wrong area, or in PvP, meant that you never saw your stuff again. The end result? A lot of players with incredible gear that just collected dust in their bank because they were too scared to use it.

It's been my experience that overly harsh death penalties don't make good players better, they just make bad players worse.
  20. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

More or less Everquest was the same. You died, respawned elsewhere, and you had to go back to your corpse wherever you died and loot it or lose all of the stuff you had on you.

Very much a risk averse system. We've improved on that and I hope it stays that way.
    Apostate and Anthony Pemberton like this.