1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Denominations of Currency

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Nicodemus, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Just Wondering, Do people like denominations of currency, like WoW and Rift. or one flat Credit system, like Star Wars.

Originally I liked Star Wars way, it looks nice in large a large stack. but there is something to be said in Vanilla WoW when you finally broke into Gold pieces. Looking back it seemed easier to trade also, like Hey "i'll give you 30 gold for that cupcake?" instead of " Hello, that fine Rowsdower, i'll take it for 30,000 Credits"

Now using the word Credit sounds better then gold, because of the sci-fi sound of it. Would be neat if Wildstar had different words entirely, like Caps in Fallout or Pre-war bullets in Metro.

What do you think? just a goofy thought to pass the time.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well WS got 4 different coins they look like:
    • Platinum
    • Gold
    • Silver
    • Copper
    Edited with a picture:
    634958853205996646.png
    But i don't know how they gonna name them, they do have special signs on each of them so 4 different signs aswell :D
    But i'm happy with how it looks already :up:
    MrDreadful likes this.
  3. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

Still saying they should be called Spacepennies > Spacenickels > Spacedoubloons > Spacebucks. >_>
  4. NerdEsq

NerdEsq Cupcake

I like the money to be broken up. It's hard to see how much you have if it's just a giant number sometimes. And, like the OP mentions, it def. feels good when you break that one milestone of money that took some grinding to get to. :)
    MrDreadful likes this.
  5. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

I like separated denomination, the feels when you get your first copper, silver, gold and platinum :D
  6. Ars Valde

Ars Valde New Cupcake

I'm honestly a bit disappointed that it's generic Gold/Silver/Copper in a space game. Is there an explaination for this?
  7. Shalanigh

Shalanigh Cupcake

I don't have a preference, really. I'm fine either way. Though in EQ1 I liked that money had weight and if you transferred a bunch of your gold/plat to copper you'd become encumbered and couldn't move. Though I don't see that happening in any newer game :p
  8. Nienie

Nienie WSC Background Designer 2013

If they have a cash shop they should call the currency, Wildbucks.

Probably simplicity. Most people understand and recognise the good old Gold/Silver/Copper currency style.
    Mellkor likes this.
  9. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

I would agree, if the Devs didn't re-name all of the basic stats with the last beta patch notes.

They may very well rename all of the currency down the line too.
  10. Neurotic Cucpake

Neurotic Cucpake Cupcake-About-Town

Makes as much sense as a universal virtual credit system that two opposing factions somehow respect and trust in.
    Mellkor likes this.
  11. Ars Valde

Ars Valde New Cupcake

Money is money, no matter who has it. I mean, just for an immersion standpoint, make them space crystals or moon rocks or whatever you wanna call them, but most civilized races move away from trading precious metals, so I don't see why we have them here.

Unless it's SpaceGold. I'm okay with that.
  12. Dasphunk

Dasphunk Cupcake

Um... we still trade precious metals, where are you getting your facts from? Precious metals are traded in the exchange, between governments, and used as currency. Please know your facts before making up ones.

Space rocks, crystals, etc could be considered as precious as gold. They are both created naturally with time and pressure, so in fact these elements are similar. Sounds like you just want the word space in front, lol. So, the fact that gold, silver, copper, and platinum are in space and other planets, calling it space gold isn't any different then calling it gold.
  13. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Thanks Extatica for the screenshot, guess i haven't been looking hard enough.
    Eluldor has a great point, devs renaming base stats could mean there is hope for currency names. I like space bucks or CassianCoin. with the colors being traditional they could make some neat names up.

Also an interesting idea - is the coinage brought to Nexus from the 2 factions, or is of Nexus?
  14. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

There's always the chance that those are just place-holders. Who knows? Maybe we'll be trading in precious Nexus crystals. Then again, the Granok are mercenaries and we know there are pirates in the universe. They get paid somehow. Maybe there's a powerful or numerous enough "third faction" that no side's been able to declare it's currency the dominant one.
  15. Neurotic Cucpake

Neurotic Cucpake Cupcake-About-Town

Wrong. Currency only has value as long as the people using it have trust and respect for it. Hence why currencies constantly fluxuate, and why outdated currencies -- such as Confederate bills -- have no value outside a handful of collectors.

And you missed the brunt of the point I made. It doesn't matter what the currency is. It could be something as inane as "spacebucks," moon rocks, random pieces of paper with some guy's face printed on it, some form of universal credit handled by the "we're not goblins, really" fellows, or precious metals. They're all equally valid as long as the players have faith in it.

Not liking the name of it and finding it trite is one thing. Trying to say it doesn't make any sense is something else entirely.

Nevermind that you're just flat out wrong about precious metals in our culture, too.
  16. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

It depends on the universe.

For WildStar, I can actually see why they might have chosen to go with base metals, not because of their inherent value but because it might be a pain to try to deal with counterfeiting and currency exchanges when you have four races (and that's not counting non-playable species) who are trying to trade with each other without much government control of things. Actually, check that. I can see why the Exiles would go that route. I have no clue why the Dominion would, since it has a unified government and there are all kinds of benefits to issuing your own currency. Maybe there isn't a lot of formally issued currency flowing into Nexus, so people have resorted to substitutes, the way people in certain situations use cigarettes as money?

Anyway, I'm fine with it, but wish they'd thrown something a little more exotic in the silver/gold/platinum mix to keep things interesting.
  17. Hobbes

Hobbes New Cupcake

I've decided it should be "spacebucks," issue settled. :D
    Yakzan likes this.
  18. NerdEsq

NerdEsq Cupcake

I am also disappointed by this. I would love to see it change down the line, something fun but that still makes sense. Keep with the first letter (P, G, S, C) so that it can still be determined which is which easy enough but add some flavor!
  19. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

Pfft you're all wrong! Cupcakes are the main W* currency!
    Ars Valde likes this.
  20. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

We really need some new W* info if we have come to heated debates on in game currency... People need to stop pulling parallels from the real world into a MMO when it is in fact a video game... geez.
    Im fine with copper, silver, gold, platinum.