1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Desktop upgrade for WildStar

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Nishi, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Nishi

Nishi New Cupcake

Hello there,

I want to upgrade my desktop, to be able to play WildStar on high/ultra, at a decent framerate.
    My current monitor is 1680x1050.

and my current setup is:
    MSI G31TM-P35 motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 @2.40 GHz
    AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    4 GB RAM
    Samsung 120GB SSD
    1 TB HDD
    Corsair RM650 PSU
    Fractal Design Define Mini

I've been suggested using the Intel i5-3350p, 8gb RAM and ofcourse a new motherboard.
    I hope the graphic card will suffice.
  2. Greatheart

Greatheart Cupcake

I think what you've been suggested is correct, new MoBo, CPU and atleast another 2GB RAM to be safe. Your GPU should be able to run WildStar in near, if not maxed settings so what I'd suggest is getting a MoBo that can handle that graphics card in CrossFire. (aka two GPU's on the same MoBo acting as one.) So if you can't run WildStar in maxed settings, you can pick up another card cheap, run them in CrossFire and should have no problem.
  3. DemosthenesHPW

DemosthenesHPW New Cupcake

Whereas, I'm taking this as the opportunity to upgrade as much as I can (post-divorce, I certainly have some extra money to play with on this). Unfortunately, due to the circumstances of my gaming the last four years (primarily console so my then wife could join in), I've fallen behind on what's newest and shiniest, but I have some friends helping with that so I can piece together a kickass system, hopefully not too soon before this comes out. :D
  4. Nishi

Nishi New Cupcake

Hm, thanks!
    But seeing as the I5-3350P and I5-4670K is rather close to eachother in pricing, wouldn't it be better to get the 4670K for furture proofing or is it just unnecessary, because I'll probably not get a new GPU anytime soon?
    Else I'll just stick with the 3350P ^^

While I was looking around, I was trying to find a mobo for the CPU (3350p), I know I have to get a LGA1155 socket, mATX formfactor and made for DDR3 RAM, but what about the chip set is it something that matters?
  5. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Don't do that. Make sure that you pair to take advantage of Double, Triple memory configurations.
  6. Nishi

Nishi New Cupcake

Yeah, I was thinking of getting 2x4GB RAM :)
    Mellkor likes this.
  7. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

How much are you looking to spend?

You can build a pretty good PC for around 700-800.
  8. Nishi

Nishi New Cupcake

Yeah, and I think my budget would be around that, if I had to upgrade my entire PC, but I don't see a point in upgrading my GPU as it still does its job well :)

For now I've picked:
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/31DK7

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($108.94 @ Amazon)
    Total: $469.90

I not that sure about the motherboard, it might be to expensive for this build, but I was looking for a board without any compatibility issues with my NH-D14 (http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=34&lng=en) and some SATA ports that don't covered by my GPU.
  9. Toat

Toat New Cupcake

10. Nishi

Nishi New Cupcake

Oh, I didn't notice the rpm on the hard drive, I'll ofcouse get the 7200 rpm one.
    I guess I'll have a look on the builds and decide, but from what I can see the AMD FX-8320 and i5-3350P is pretty much equal in preformance, but the AMD might pull ahead in multi-app tasks.
    So I guess the AMD might be better for Wildstar?
  11. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

no. mmos are more cpu focused. each single core of the intel cpu is more quality than the amd counter part. thus mmos run better on intel cpus.
  12. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

False. mmorpgs used to be cpu bound. More and more games are using the video card to do "the heavy lifting" (like they should).

intel has a much smaller frame variance than amd and slightly higher min frames.