1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Dev quote on settler sounds great

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Dyraele, Aug 29, 2011.

1. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a socializer. I'm leaning towards settler. I'm probably gonna just hang out in my house and chat with people once I'm done leveling and stuff.
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I love this info. This will probably be my mains path!
  3. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I bet Settlers will be CRAZY popular on RP servers if they do the traditional labeled server system. In fact, I'm shocked honestly I was able to remain strong and stick to my guns as a Scientist, because according to his test I'm a socializer and an explorer is even TIED with collector.

But I want to have a character dedicated to lore my first playthrough, so Exile Frontier Scientist who broadcasts his own kid's science show it is!
  4. Umbra

Umbra Cupcake

The sound of the Settler just sounds so innovative. Focusing on the social side of things and bringing something new into the fold. I like it, I like it a lot. Not sure what path I am going to choose yet but this certainly has me thinking that I cannot rule out the Settler!
  5. Norlamin

Norlamin Cupcake

I REALLY want to see more on the Settler and Scientist, between Soldier and Explorer, I'm definitely more into the Explorer, but the last two to be truly revealed really have me the most interested. I love socializing and community aspects in MMO's, more than anything else.

I think MMO's have started moving away from the social and camaraderie that used to be present and almost enforced in older games, I think that's where a lot of the genre has gone wrong. MMO's need that constant social interaction, even if it seems forced, whenever I see people asking for more solo content in an MMO, it honestly makes me want to cringe. The whole point of an MMO is to play with as many other players as possible, creating a living, breathing online community... there should be more things bringing us together, than segregating us.

The Settler seems like a good approach in this direction, I truly hope it's going to be as good as it sounds as I'll definitely be picking it as my path of choice.
  6. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I don't disagree with the sentiment at all, and I would love to see online communities flourish. The problem is that unlike our real world, where people actually exercise some degree of tact as they move through their day-to-day, people in MMOs rip one another open like brain-starved zombies and dine on noob flesh. And no, not all people that I run into in the real world are models of perfection, but I can't say I've ever been standing in Subway and had someone say, "Learn to eat subs ya f****** noob."

Until there's a way to reward/punish players for their behavior in MMOs, and the community becomes a less terrifying place to exist, I think we're going to have to accept that most of us that have chosen to participate in the community walk around like this:

[​IMG]

And everyone else does this:

[​IMG]
    Patrician, Elsie and starspun like this.
  7. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Have more faith in people. Some players are less angry and judgmental and more nice and helpful. I like to believe the nice and helpful will become settlers.
    Darkspur likes this.
  8. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I'm not saying there aren't. :) The last post I made was intended to be hyperbolic. If I hadn't found people that were fun to play with, I would have stopped playing MMOs a long time ago. I just think that wanting for all players to dive into the community aspect of MMOs is an uphill battle, and until developers can reinforce positive social interactions within their fantasy worlds, there are going to continue to be people who want nothing to do with it.
    Elsie and nomotog like this.
  9. nomotog

Liking your post gave me a idea. What if we let players like each other as a way to encourage people to be nice. Like when you where 5 and got coupons for being good.
    Darkspur likes this.
  10. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Except people would abuse it. Trade chat would be full of "wtb likes, paying (moderate amount of currency)", you'd receive tells begging for likes in addition to gold, guilds would go around mass liking each other...
    Yakzan and Wreck like this.
  11. nomotog

Some times it's hard to be optimistic.
    Darkspur and Wreck like this.
  12. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

The community in a virtual reality is reflective of the sum of its parts. More positive people the better it is, just got to get the good to outweigh the bad. Nomotog I LIKE your ideas bud :D

FYI Auryn - your sig links to a site which is being rather negative about NC Soft, thats not acceptable here last I heard. You may wanna sort that out.
  13. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

What we object to is someone coming here specifically to be negative about NCsoft. Auryn has been nothing of the sort, and the site linked in her signature is a blog covering a variety of topics - it doesn't target NCsoft in particular. As far as I'm concerned, the link is perfectly fine.

Also, please keep in mind that it's our job to police these forums. If you see something that is or could be an issue, please report it and let us handle it.
  14. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

oh right, sorry for helping :) good luck with the forums y'all its been fun but gotta go. see you all in game one day :D
  15. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

The "settler" class makes me wonder how well it will work out if you have hundreds of settlers on a single server.

I hope Carbine is thinking log term here !