1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

DevSpeak: Ability Mechanics - Screenshots (image heavy*)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by kaimarshall, Sep 27, 2013.

1. kaimarshall

kaimarshall Cupcake-About-Town

Hello :)

I wanted to start this thread to point out some of the things I found interesting about the new Dev Speak video.

First of all, is this one of the upcoming classes? Looks cool, whatever it's supposed to be.
    2.png

There's an image that shows a red female Granok (not part of this video), but on this picture, we can see we'll also be getting blue Granoks. And probably a wide variety of skintone options.
    4.png

I'm excited that we'll be able to dive underwater. Though, will we actually be able to dive underwater, or will it only be for quest related places? Edit: This turned out to be just an ability.
    3.png

The "hairstyle" on this female Mechari seems pretty nice. One thing you can barely see on this picture is the fact that she's wearing highheels. I wish there was an option to not be forced to wear high heeled shoes.
    5.png

Once again, the alarming single hair color and skin female Aurin. It's probably that the character on each scene is the same, but it's a little odd they would choose to show only one character when they've shown multiple of the other races...
    7.png

...including male Aurin.
    8.png

And this picture is just plain creepy. But anyways, something we have already seen in the past - male Granoks will be able to have mustaches :)
    6.png

Feel free to include anything you found interesting about the new Dev Speak video.

Gronky, Destrin, Revon and 1 other person like this.
  2. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Considering how big trolls are in Carbine i can think that those 2 classes that we all have for sure(Medic and engineer) are prolly wrong and they just show staff not existent just to make us say WTF when they reveal the classes.For me its kinda strange that they dont reveal the final 2 classes when everyone is saying in public the names!They dont even respond to it..

But as i said yet again the Devspeak video is freaking awesome!
    Carbine knows how to do their job:)

Gronky likes this.
  3. kaimarshall

There was no rowsdower this time, though :(

4. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

The water thing, is an ability. since he isn't actually swimming when he plops back on the ground.

but swimming is a given with the current state of MMO's. Not sure if there will be an environment dedicated to it (anything is possible with carbine), but why would anyone think you couldn't swim?

in GamesCon and PAX, there was countless footage from the floor, with popular reviewers running across a river, showing (albeit not intentionally) that there is swimming, and I believe one actually dove in the water (as he jumped in it). I'd haft to remember all the video I watched during and after PAX to find it. but TotalBiscuit's review shows swimming animations. If you're interested.

5. FlamingRuby

Hopefully they will implement a better system than WoW for underwater combat if they have at least.Guild Wars 2 tried (Failed or not its up to people to say) and implemented something new!
    Blizzard for example had made everything linear and even underwater combat is like Normal combat with the new quest helping items for underwater combat:(

Malorak likes this.
  6. kaimarshall

Oh I see. My bad, I thought that was an actual underwater environment. And I knew we could swim, but not all MMO's feature actual underwater diving. I'm only saying because I haven't seen any video that shows a character having an underwater view.

7. panickbr

panickbr New Cupcake

Well... There's this footage from the Paths DevSpeak video.

[​IMG]

It's 00:40 on the video.

But what really intrigues me, is given the nature of free form targetting, how will that work underwater?

Forced underwater soil combat? (like WoW does in some quests, i.e. 1k Needles)
    Totally different underwater combat? (like GW2)
    3D free form targetting?

8. kaimarshall

Ohh, yeah I saw that. I just hope we'll be able to dive underwater wherever the water is deep enough, and not just for quest related places.

9. Zenatsu

The only reason WoW's "underwater combat" is dull, is because they didn't actually try to revamp the combat for it. They didn't need to. The whole reasons for the underwater area was an environmental effect.

GW2 just gave you a bunch of new abilities when you were underwater, that was it. The combat was the same as it was on land.

My guess is that wildstar will have the same effect. It's the same combat as it is on the ground. The only thing I have an question about, is since the combat is free form. How will height affect the targets? Currently telegraphs display exclusively on the ground. So when you are underwater, you wont see telegraphs unless you're near the ground or looking at it to spot it. But will being higher up avoid the damage? Or will you be hit anyways because you're in the trigger area.

If people played at PAX, and actually tried to fight while in deep water, they could share their experience (since they arnt under NDA) otherwise we can only wait for a proper explanation. If there is any.

10. FlamingRuby

The only reason WoW's ''underwater combat'' is dull is because Blizzard is retarded!
    Blizzard tried to push people to late game to compliment their statement that we want to offer everyone a chance to raid and they didn't mind about the early game-leveling.Tho i think that they said their game is a casual game and i am interested in knowing why they think casuals don't like leveling and like zerg fests raids/dungeons...
    At least tho Guild wars 2 made a slight change to the underwater combat with other weapons/skills.Nothing special but at least something new.Remember that actual underwater combat is minimal in most games and its only there for exploration purposes like the ones Guild Wars 2 had with underwater caves and tunnels:)
    As much as myself not liking underwater combat(Mainly because its dull) i love underwater exploration and druid/shaman quests back at vanilla wow!

11. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Compare the weapon to the same type of weapon in the following pic. Look closely, note the circles inside the blue glass, appears to be what this weapon type looks like energized/armed. This might have been obvious to everyone else but I only recently picked up on it. The image is from the artist Garrett Hanna's tumblr, credit to Revon for linking it in another thread.[​IMG]

No screenshot of the Chua with the rifle at the end of the video?

View attachment 1261
    Is she wearing high heels or are female Mechari digitrades? Even without shoes would female Mechari walk on their toes?

Unrelated, but I found this image interesting. It shows advanced(?) Spellslinger armor. When I saw it as a thumbnail I thought it was Draken. It appears to actually be one of the human races, note the lack of "animal ears".

[​IMG]

What software/tool/process do you use to take your screenshots? Great job thank you for sharing.

12. Zenatsu

If it's retarded, why is it still making money? (Rhetorical question, please don't answer this. I don't actually care)

To be quite frank, blizzard did the right move in "reshaping azeroth". The WoW you know today, ws the WoW we played back in BC and Vanilla (combat wise). and yes, a LOT of things have been steamlined and turned "casual". But that's blizzard's goal, is to make WoW a casual game, unfortunately.

The truth about leveling. The western (EU and NA) market HATES leveling. We want 2 things: Raids, and PvP. Everything else is just busy work. In fact we're pretty picky about our leveling system, too slow and we <REDACTED> moan and complain, too fast and we feel shafted and say that there is "no content".

The SEA (JP, TW, KR, etc.) enjoy leveling, more then raiding and PvP, they prefer slow leveling to feel a sense of accomplishment (Dinging is more valuable to them), and the focus less on large scale teamwork. If you don't believe me, look at the most popular Asian MMOs, and the most popular Western MMOs. I think the Eastern market is starting to push into raiding, and the mentality could be shifting, but I don't heavily research their player psychology, so I can't be sure on that point.

All in all, Blizzard is sticking to what works. It continues to work, and they are still making money. There will be a day where WoW dies. But it won't be for a few years. They cater to the "Casuals" because that is who is giving them money. And the casuals want in on all the raiding, so they gave it to them. Welcome to the game industry. Money matters.

13. Zenatsu

printscreen, Paint (or photoshop since he's an artist of sorts), then save.

Destrin likes this.
  14. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

It was nice to see new armor for the classes also. If anyone wants to pug up those screenshot I would be extremely grateful. If not, ill do it later today hopefully

15. kaimarshall

I don't think they're actually digitigraded, they just seem to have two big toe-like things on the tip of their feet. They do have a weird way of walking, however. But anyways, I didn't take a screenshot of the heels on that female Mechari because it didn't come through my mind at the time. Though, she was indeed wearing highheels.

I use the Snipping Tool for the screenshots. No need to use the annoying print screen + paint method. I also have Photoshop but that's not necessary.

Tribe likes this.
  16. kaimarshall

I'm a girl :)

17. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Hyperprotip: Upload them to Imgur, post the link here.

This will kill several slow PC's, trust me.

btt: @Waterzones.

Vashj'ir. As much as everyone hated it having to think in 3D, not being able to just go to the shiny yellow dot on the map to get quests etc.

I loved it. It was beautiful, it was colorful, it was dark, it had a great story and it had awesome quests.

Also the Jaws thing made me laugh out loud :)

I want an underwater Zone, I'd LOVE a Raid in a water setting (Not every boss needs to be underwater, but I like the idea of sunken ships/temples/black fathom deeps from WoW/shrines etc.) and I'm generally a sucker for good water combat since alot of people f' it up pretty hard.