1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

DevSpeak: Ability Mechanics

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Ico, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Destrin

Destrin Cupcake

Logitech G13 + Razor Naga = awesome = $160 of gear :(
  2. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I am not speaking from only PvE point of view, of which I do have rather nice experience also. I am speaking of PvP point of view, where movement and positioning is everything if you want to succeed on higher levels. I have played on some 2600MMR, and that was not during the MMR exploit seasons. I found this kind of a keybinds the easiest and most reactive to play with, but like they say.. Opinions are like <REDACTEZOIDS>, everyone has his own.
  3. xerel

xerel New Cupcake

1. Lets just hope there's only a very small number of abilities that use these mechanics right?

2. That's what they kept telling the people being critical of SWTOR during beta, and look how that turned out :p

To be clear, I have high hopes for Wildstar, and really want it to be awesome. Sometimes though I get the impression they're ambition for awesomeness might be getting the better of them.
  4. Brynnevere

Brynnevere Cupcake

For the people complaining about moving and casting with the keyboard, have you seriously been keyboard-turning all this time in MMOs? Omg, healers' worst nightmare! A raid full of keyboard turners!

Even in WoW I almost exclusively used the mouse for movement. The only movement keys I really used were strafe left/right. I tried the mmo Naga with like 9 buttons on the side--made my thumb hurt. Apparently my fingers were a little too long to use it comfortably.

That said, I'm totally for gamepad support. Even if Carbine doesn't ship with it fully functional, allowing modders to make gamepad controls would be awesome. Of course I'd always have a keyboard handy for chatting.
  5. xerel

xerel New Cupcake

Good stuff, hopefully those options stick around.
  6. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

7. Groossum

Groossum Cupcake-About-Town

Wooooowwww...did you see that Chua ninja/over the shoulder peekaboo behind a non suspecting Granok?
    Seriously, wow, I love that mechanic...move and do stuff. Nice.
  8. xerel

xerel New Cupcake

Who said anything about keyboard turning? Mouse movement is great if you spend all your time running forward... Too bad that in anything remotely interesting you should probably be spending 90% of your time strafing.
  9. Alistair Cain

Alistair Cain Cupcake

Really enjoyed the devspeak - as others have said even the movement of the Chua and Mordesh were great to see (and looked very smooth !)
    Very pleased to see that movement is given such importance, glad to see channels and cast-time abilities allow you to be mobile as well.

I'm also not a fan of mashing a button for an ability, holding it down and release, I don't have as much of a problem with. The options to change the press/hold mechanics is great - thanks to Destrin for the info.
    Destrin likes this.
  10. APOLL0

APOLL0 New Cupcake

They'll be one of those in the Collector's edition box, right?

I just Imagined trying to control chat with my thoughts.
  11. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Should you have difficulty reading this panel, please consult a porcumlogologist, which is a latin term I just made up and I leave for you to validate. Apologies to the localization team for what fun they'll have translating this."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dunno if I got it all right :p

Edit: Awwwh, Flamingruby and Tribe were way ahead of me, next time I shall read the whole thread before posting.. And I was so proud of what I did. :(

This means I shall not sleep, eat or otherwice leave my computer untill Wildstar launches so that I WILL BE FIRST!!!

You haven't seen the last of us!

Destrin likes this.
  12. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

At the end of the video you see the last two classes.
  13. Tahna

Tahna New Cupcake

Hah yeah, at 2:43-2:44 on the outer edges of the screen.
  14. Theirin

Theirin Cupcake

I think its so awesome how involved you guys are in the communities that are supporting and talking about your game. Makes me look forward to it even more so =)
  15. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Very cool.
  16. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

The pig Latin can be translated and if you play around with the contrasts there's a secret message on the blank panel.

Just sayin'
  17. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Well i assume you need someone with good knowledge of the English language so he can work on that!Myself i am not good english language speaker and this is why i didn't bother to translate it...
    At least tho someone did it!

/Gives hugs and Cookies!
    I forgot that you can Print-Screen videos that good!Possibly will do it next time:)
  18. Furiux

Furiux New Cupcake

Watched it like 4 times to be sure i didn't miss anything epic^.^
  19. Arawulf

Arawulf Owner of WildStarFans.net

That last disclaimer panel wasn't as intentionally blank as we were lead to believe...
    [​IMG]

DISCLAIMER
    ...This panel has been intentionally left blank.

Except for *this* part, which you painstakingly found after taking your obsession with dissecting our videos TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL which is kind of disturbing and yet I've validated your perseverence by leaving something to hide here and now I'm starting to wonder if it's me who should be re-evaluating their life instead of you, or maybe we could start a support group or something I dunno
    Desender, Baamz, Ianpact and 6 others like this.
  20. Roq777

Roq777 Cupcake

For all you guys worrying about holding ability keys while moving, there is an option to hit once to activate, hit again to cancel. Head over to the Wildstar reddit for confirmation from Scooter. http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/1n69ts/devspeak_ability_mechanics_official/

As for gamepads - use them, love them. Started with a Logitech G13 and now I use a Razer Orbweaver MX Cherry Blue. best thing I ever did for my gaming.

As for the dev Speak, yep simply amazing again! CAN. NOT . WAIT. TO. PLAY!!! Also, thanks Carbine for playing along with your own leaks of the remaining classes, see, that didn't hurt did it?