1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

DevSpeak: Ability Mechanics

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Ico, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Kusiga

Kusiga Cupcake

Oh loved the video but made it so much harder for me to pick what race I want to be first. :< Thanks those crazy peeps for translating and stuff the disclaimers.
  2. Payne

Payne New Cupcake

3. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

I've been playing MMOs for YEARS now with Xpadder and an xbox controller. Wildstar will be a game where I have an advantage running circles around mouse can keyboard users while still being able to spam my spells.

[​IMG]
  4. Paterk

Doesn't this just negate the sense of empowerment of holding down a button, and turn the ability into another tap once to insta cast?
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

For most people, I'm fairly certain they'll forgo this "empowerment" you mentioned for the ease of use of the ability. If there's any empowerment at all, I can't imagine it being nearly substantial enough to make a large portion of players continue to use hold and release mechanics.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  6. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Not yet...
  7. BradyBread

BradyBread New Cupcake

Looks really great! I love what I've seen so far for the male Aurin. Might have to roll one of the cat men :p
  8. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Don't forget that can also be bunny men, bat men, deer men, and many more combinations, all with glorious fluffy tails.
    BradyBread likes this.
  9. Pastar

Pastar New Cupcake

You will never run circles around someone using a naga and keyboard with a xbox controller lol l2mmo
  10. Dende

Dende Cupcake

Ok thats sick : ) might work out for pve but surely you won't be very competitive in pvp i guess , but i like your creativity !
  11. WRYWOOD

WRYWOOD New Cupcake

Ok, that's pretty <REDACTED>ing cool!
  12. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

That is pretty handy.. I don't why I never thought you couldn't bind multiple buttons as hotkeys like that. It looks like it would take awhile to get used to and learn. Can you bind sequential directional inputs with button combos? It'd add a fun twist to mmo play to have specials like the classic down, down-forward, forward Hadouken .. but be Fireball, Eviscerate, etc. Of course you would be making things harder for yourself, but still.. :p
  13. ruff_ethereal

Where there is a programmer, there is a way. I wouldn't be surprised if there were already some way you could modify controller rigging to do just that.
  14. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

*Completely off-topic, but inline with my previous post: It just occurred to me that if an mmo was built around the concept of fighting game special attacks, (or adapted to) you could have the cast time be the input phase. So you essentially would start a generic spell cast (one that is not instant) with a default ~0.5 second cast time from a button press and the first directional input of you spell sequence. As you input the sequence the resulting spell cast would do one of the following: finish and cast, fail (no spell cast), or change a spell into a more powerful spell from a more complex input sequence.

Example
    (using controller)

Back + Y --- Start casting generic spell
    Down, Forward -- Spell: Fireball casts

..I know this wouldn't work in classic mmos, but it would be a lot of fun to have an mmo (pvp mainly) with a fighter system. ..some days, just tapping a button to cast a spell seems underwhelming and spell sequence cast systems are usually limited and almost linear.

Cheers!
  15. Paterk

I will be fully supporting Wildstar with Controller play using Xpadder at launch. Complete with tutorials, videos, and profiles to download.
  16. ruff_ethereal

I'm using Joy2Key myself. I support your initiative and wish you much luck!