1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do paths enhance or restrict your gameplay?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Sorn, Sep 6, 2012.

1. coryhart

coryhart New Cupcake

I don't think some games should have a major faction utility in the first place! if you want to get down to the nitty gritty the story line behind WOW Cataclysm is that the horde and the aliance have come together and are battling deathwing, in the later parts of the story you're getting quests from taurens and goblins and dwarves and everyone else so in certain parts of the story, if this game is as story driven as it sounds I would be completely ok with the idea that some part of the bad guys says "wait a minute, this is wrong!" and defects to help the exiles. or maybe there is a group of merchants that see fit to play both sides. certain aspects of a story like that would be really confusing but also enjoyable.
    SiegaPlays and Maddog Charlie like this.
  2. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

^^I like that idea. I never understood why one side had to be evil and the other side good. I do tend to play the "good guys" but, I like the idea of people being able to create their own story for their toons.

The whole Imperial Trooper building the Death Star conversation in Clerks comes to mind.
  3. coryhart

coryhart New Cupcake

I think exactly the same way I mean lets face it right not every "Bad Guy" is really all that bad and without them the protagonists would get nowhere so let the dominion come... at least for the story.
  4. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I still think it's more Order (Dominion) vs Chaos (Exiles) than Good vs Evil...
  5. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I figured it was Browncoats (Exiles) vs Alliance (Dominion) we'll have to see though
  6. Chrilin

Agreed.... At least as an individual player no one should be forced to be "good" or "evil"

Wasn't it stated by a Dev at some point that the Aurin were pushed off their homeworld by the Dominion? Or was that an idea for a backstory that was floated here on WSC? Either way I thought it was a cool idea, I remember that much.:)
  7. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Hmmm Cassus is/was the Human homeworld and looks like they arnt too happy about the Dominion being there so I think you made a safe assumption that Dominion are the big bad guys in most ways.
    per this: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/blog/wildstar_wednesday_meet_the_human.php
    and this for the Aurin
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/blog/_wildstar_wednesday_meet_the_aurin.php
    but there again its only one side of the story ? (Pause for Carbine Dev to jump in with this Wednesdays Dominion character ......maybe....PLEASE):)
  8. Chrilin

Thanks for the links Maddog.

Yeah... it's true, only one side to the story so far.
  9. coryhart

coryhart New Cupcake

it really seems that we are totally gasping for the air called wildstar info right now. What if dominion are more of an assimilating race of conquerors.... Tau anyone
  10. coryhart

coryhart New Cupcake

Chaos chose to exile themselves from under the light of the emperor in 40k and warhammer is messed up because all factions act on their own impulses and ideals, mainly because it mirrors religion.
  11. Chrilin

Borg anyone?

It will be interesting to see. I think I remember October being the month Carbine is slated to release info on the Dominion.
  12. Jkaplan

Jkaplan Cupcake

Do classes enhance or restrict gameplay? I think its basically the same question. Making all path content available to all players gives players more options and more to do, but at the same time I think it would take away a sense of purpose that players get for having a specific role to play. Someone that is a settler feels like they're providing a service, helping people out, by giving buffs, building up quest hubs, etc. If anybody could come along and do the same thing they would lose that feeling because they wouldn't really be helping anyone at all since the next player who comes by could do the exact same things.

I think that generally players prefer one of the paths to the others so for most players you aren't losing a whole lot by not being able to participate in what other paths do. That said the paths also add replayability because when you make new characters you have a new role to play and that keeps things fresh and exciting, but I think its all about rewarding players for what they like to do in Wildstar, and I think paths are a really good way to do that.
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  13. Sharkee

Sharkee Cupcake

For me, community is a big deal in an MMO, because it gives the game meaning, it comes alive and feels alive, when people are constantly looking for something/someone, to either go and find that cave, that some explorer might have found, and his buddy scientist found a kickass relic, and now he wants it, so this system kind of nudges you towards being social and try and interact with others to make it a more vibrant, and alive experience for everyone.
    As long as they have the content issue solved,and they could do it, by implementing more and more secrets, that are higher in the mountains, or require a spaceship or something of the sorts to get, and maybe a group of paths, but still achievable, making it a challenge, will bring players back for more and more. What can be more awesome than returning to a familiar place and discovering something that wasn't there, even though you explored it.
    There can be lots of solutions to the "problem", that can turn out to be very benefitial to return to those low level zones.
    And to tackle the "killing newbs for fun" problem, they could make a system where you can't attack anyone below 2 levels of your own,making you think twice if you want to engage someone, or a group of someones, that might tear you a new one.

Sharkee