1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do the Mordesh still trust Lazarin?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Yinello, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I was reading up on the lore of the Mordesh on WS website and was wondering if the Mordesh still trust Lazarin (assuming he's still alive, which I think he is). Now I get why they took the elixir in the first place because he was famous and I also get why they took his 'cure', because they were desperate not to become mindless zombies. But beyond that, I wouldn't trust the guy as far as I could throw him. Not only responsible for the outbreak but also not being able to completely cure the Mordesh, I would never take anything Lazarin gives me. Heck, maybe I'd even want to imprison him (even if he didn't intend to, creating a mass disease would be considered a crime).

So I'm wondering what role Lazarin plays in the story of the Mordesh. Is he someone we help to create a cure or a villian on the run? Is he so brilliant that even after two "failures" the Mordesh still put their faith in him? Or are there other scientists who feel this faith is misplaced and seek to prove themselves better than Lazarin by attempting to find the cure first? I'm curious to see what Carbine will do with him.
    Sonntam likes this.
  2. Eternalfootman

Eternalfootman Cupcake-About-Town

I haven't seen any official lore on the matter really. There isn't that much info on the Mordesh or Chua since they were just revealed. But I feel like it would be split a bit, I'm sure many Mordesh are distrustful of him or want to imprison him. But he was the one that created the vitalus serum that partially cured the Mordesh. He may be one of the only qualified scientists to find a cure. Hopefully there will be some reluctant love hate relationship with a dash of melancholy redemption thrown in on Lazarin's side. :rolleyes:
  3. Chim

Chim Cupcake-About-Town

Lazarin is probably Mordesh now (look at Mordesh Pictures, he looks like one of them). He is probably leader. If he maked something that strong he can upgrade it, ya? Mordesh are intelligent, they can help him to do that. They are focused on alchemy (pictures), it's very possible. :)
  4. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

I think Lazarin will be the faction head. Roughly equivalent to Sylvanas Windrunner or Thrall. Yes, he did something terrible. But he also "Fixed" it with the Vitalus Serum. He's brilliant, capable, and was politically/socially powerful. It's very likely he retains at least some of that political/social power.

-Rachel-
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  5. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

How much more can he possibly muck it up?
  6. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

If the Mordesh still trust Lazarin they are fools to do so. Their arrogance and lust for immortality blinded them to the fact that their entire race was exposing themselves to an untested, unproven, likely dangerous, possibly catastrophic substance with no guarantee just based off of one this one guy's word that it would work and we would all live happily ever after.

It would be like Bill Gates showing up at the United Nations and announcing that he had a new operating system called... "Skynet" that would rapidly increase our technological ability and allow us all to live like gods without fear of food shortages, or global warming, or disease or w/e because this super-smart program would take care of us. All we had to do is allow him to simultaneously install it on every computer in the world without testing it in any kind of controlled environment or with any kind of review from outside sources.

Despite Lazarin's band-aid fix for what is essentially a terminal condition there is no reason any sane Mordesh should trust him at all. Like I said if the Mordesh still do trust him it shows a pretty massive flaw in their reasoning capability, that or they have fallen back into their old ways and are desperate to trust this man who they think somehow can restore them, putting blind faith ahead of any kind of common sense.
  7. Steampunkette

You are making a LOT of assumptions, Jynetik. Almost none of them based in the canon.

At no point does this say anything about it not being tested, unproven, or likely dangerous. Only that "Eventually" it resulted in catastrophic changes. It could have been months outside of testing parameters that the first change occurred. Even years. Perhaps it underwent rigorous trials across a wide spectrum of animals and human-analogues but took over 5 years to display it's deleterious effects from the time of injection.

After all, Lazarin had time to find a way to stave off the effects of the serum before it destroyed his own mind. Perhaps the initial trials lasted 3 years, the final stage started at year 5, and Lazarin was injected on year 4, during the widespread immortality inoculation. We really have no way of knowing.

However, if the people trust Lazarin there must be a good reason for it. And I think coming up with the "Stop eating your child's face" serum is a good start.

Oh, hey. Look. Defending an Exile race from a strong Anti-Mordesh vibe... Who would have thought that?

-Rachel-
    Lumzk, ruff_ethereal, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  8. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I posted this in another thread:

I wonder how the Mordesh view Lazarin is he there saviour or there damnation, according to the Dev's all the Mordesh are survivors of the Contagion from 80 years ago and they cant reproduce but those we have seen dont look like there 80 years + so im thinking the Everlife Elixir was a success apart from the little brain eating insanity and necrosis thing but then Lazarin fixed the brain eating madness aswell so yea there brilliant and sure once the Exiles take over all of Nexus I have no doubt the Mordesh will find a way to stabilize the Everlife Elixir and regain there former glory as one of the most advanced and beautiful races of the galaxy
  9. Jefferson

Jefferson New Cupcake

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me once while turning me into a face eating space zombie, then "cure" me just enough that I can stop eating faces, well, my only option is to revere you as a messiah.
  10. Darkhors3

Darkhors3 Cupcake

I agree it seems odd to but faith in a man who almost kill your whole race or worse.. because living like a sterile, infected being might be worse off then being killed.. But maybe with these horrors inflicted on the Mordesh by this disease makes them desperate and you'd cling to any hope of a cure?

Also we don't know how the outbreak started just that mass injection of a elixir of life potion which backfired.. but how did it backfire?? was it a random mutation of the potion or was it caused this way on purpose? Also people mention the dark and forbidden alchemy.. that's more a fantasy wording so maybe there's black magic involved like a Human transmutation from the Full metal Alchemist series or maybe demons or some weird aliens or higher powers?

I will be interested in the lore and more details of the Mordesh and there leader on launch i'm very interested now
  11. Darkhors3

Darkhors3 Cupcake

Agreed we don't know enough yet hopefully on launch the lore and story will give us more details on their leader and their disease and the back story of it.

-Ben-
  12. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Poor guy he was only trying to help his race.
  13. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

is very early to say something about him, he is a bit .... unknown to us. What if.... he created the plague and the serum at the same time, knowing this would happen? seeking a way to control the whole species

or everything whas just an accident and worked fast to solve this crisis.... we will find the answer in the game ... and I can't wait more for it! >_<
  14. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I'm sure his intentions have been nothing but good, but sometimes things just don't turn out the way it should be. Like Alfred Nobel, who invented dynamite, realized that it could be used in many horrible ways and created the Nobel Prize to counter it by awarding people who do good things for the world.
  15. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I'm going to go at this a little backwards.

"Strong Anti-Mordesh Vibe" I don't have any kind of dog in this fight, I don't have any interest in this subject other than trying to figure out Carbine's thought process on the design of these races from all angles. I am not trying to imply that the Mordesh are some kind of race of imbeciles, just pointing out that from the little we know about them their reasoning doesn't add up. Trust me I'm not the kind of person to try and force viewpoints, or talk down to other people, it's just not me.

"There must be a good reason" Actually there doesn't have to be a good reason. You can use our own history as an example of this, because I am sure that Carbine is. People often don't have good reasons for doing the things that they do. Misinformation, ignorance, and charisma are often worth far more when it comes to leadership than anything else and it is just as likely that the Mordesh have no good reason to follow this man beyond "there is no one else" or "he's the only one keeping us alive and sane".

"We really have no way of knowing" Exactly. We don't know much of anything other than a few paragraphs that give vague accounts of what happened to the Mordesh. Perhaps it is as you say that there was rigorous testing and approval processes in place and the Mordesh were very careful about how this serum was distributed to the population and the resulting catastrophe was an unfortunate twist of fate that couldn't have been reasonably prevented. However due to how little we know it is also possible that the Mordesh were the cause of their own demise through arrogance and blind faith. I personally think it is the latter because the latter is a pretty well established cultural design trope and Carbine seems to love those (in a good way). It adds personality to the Mordesh to see this very Cassian-esque arrogant, pompous race reduced to ashes because of their over-inflated egos.

"You are making a LOT of assumptions, Jynetik. Almost none of them based in the canon." We all are, that is part of the fun of being involved this early on with so little to go off of. As well there is very little canon available and most of it is vague enough to be open to personal interpretation. I guess I just happen to see different things than you do when I look into the existing material which is perfectly natural and fine. Neither one of us is "right" nor are either one of us "wrong", we can't be, there is just too little to be sure.
    Luc, ruff_ethereal and Steampunkette like this.
  16. Steampunkette

See... This is why I loves me some Jynetik. :D

Though, for my part, I'd say "He's the only one keeping us alive and sane" is probably a pretty good reason...

Outside of that quibble: Consensus! Hugs for everyone!

-Rachel-
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I think they trust Lazarin because they have to. The other option is of course becomes a ravenous mindless cannibal. It's about survival, not about trust.
  18. Korath

Korath New Cupcake

Well, with today's news, it seem that Lazarin is somewhat trusted by the Mordresh, probably because he is their greatest chance of succes.
  19. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Mordeshes are stupids.
  20. Steampunkette

Not as dumb as Paladins.

[​IMG]

-Rachel-
    Skippy and Darkhors3 like this.