1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do the Mordesh still trust Lazarin?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Yinello, Jul 22, 2013.

1. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Blasphemy! I will kill you in Wildstar for that!!! xD
  2. Darkhors3

Darkhors3 Cupcake

or Failadins

:p
  3. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

Every time I read this guy's name I think of Victor Lazlo from the Palladium RPGs "Beyond the Supernatural" and "Rifts".
  4. Keeper of Ages

Keeper of Ages New Cupcake

The recent Wildstar Wednesday revealed that the initial Everlife Elixir was "instantaneous" in its beneficial effects on Lazarin- wow, his first test was on himself, and the seemingly permanent success was enough for the Mordesh to take it willingly. "Within months" it had been distributed to nearly all the Mordesh and "within months" the nasty side-effects started to take hold.

I'd have to agree that the populous did not conduct the proper tests to determine what ramifications this Elixir would have. I think that if any trust remains, it is in the fact that Lazarin was able to provide them with a serum that could stave off what they inflicted upon themselves. The Mordesh could have easily waited those "months" to see if Lazarin would degenerate or have any side-effects, but they pushed it through in their own. I think Lazarin did not force the Mordesh to take the Elixir, he merely exhibited his "success" and the Mordesh jumped on board of their own volition. If Lazarin had his people in his best interests he would have withheld the Elixir until it was deemed safe, however.

Well, the Mordesh still have their piecemeal immortality, so long as their bodies don't fully decay...
    Sonntam likes this.
  5. Quantum Wizard

Quantum Wizard Cupcake

Look at this http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/mondo_zax_and_victor_lazarin.php its on the second half.

Lazarin was distraught over his wife and possibly daughters (It only stated the mothers death and usually that means the child had lived) deaths. He was not thinking clearly, he was likely obsessed with immortality, and having achieved his goal, had understandably gotten overconfident. I dont think he forced the elixir on anyone, Most Mordish where probably not thinking its immortality where talking about here (Though honestly the idea of living forever sounds dreadful to me) People kind of get excited about that. Do you know how many people are excited about the idea of programming their mind into computers? A whole awful lot. Not only that but hes devoted his entire being into creating a cure, heck he's even come up with something to deal with the more extreme (At least in my oppinion) Side effects. So their half way cured why not let him finish what he started. Their is likely some mistrust but right know he may be their only hope. For good or ill remember Hitler was voted into power, fear and hope are powerful things.
    Sonntam likes this.
  6. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

I was mildly annoyed when I read Lazarin's background. His wife was fridged off the bat.

-Rachel-
    Sonntam likes this.
  7. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

I think you didn't understand really that article. Victor Lazarin lost his wife and that pain made him want a way to eradicate that pain from everyone , the Everlife Elixir was his best creation, something that combines the Eternal Youth's Elixir and the Inmortality in just one

in the beginning it was a success but.... something went wrong aaaaaaaaaaand there is the great Contagion and every Mordest became an Undead. That was just an Accident, not something that he wanted. AND he researched for an Antidote, and in the last moment he did it! he ""Solved"" the problem .... well not really but at least the last survivors didn't became Zombies

he also Works to repay to the exiles and help to Mordesh to become more Liked by their allies, helping with the diseases in their colonies and Looking for a full cure to the Contagion.

So, I don't see he as a Evil Character, just someone who had an Accident and will pay for it .... all his life
  8. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

There are Tropes about this: Must Make Amends and Gone Horribly Wrong. No one could have really seen Victor's Elixir going wrong the way it did, and like others have said, the Mordesh willingly jumped blind into "Immortality" than waiting it out, and seeing its full effects over the span of a longer amount of time.

Like Aliens: Colonial Marines, yeah?

Anyway, the Mordesh trust Lazarin like the Exiles in general trust the Mordesh: necessity. Like it or not, Victor is the one person most qualified to put an end to his great mistake; most of his people probably hate him, but you can't say he's just letting them die.

As sung in Dave the Barbarian, "They ain't the bravest heroes, but they're the only ones we've got!"
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

It would make sense to me that the mordesh would be a little untrusting of someone who, you know. Poisoned their entire race even if it was by accident. At the same time they probably recognize that he's the only one with the expertise to save them and he did invent the stop-gap serum that keeps the average mordesh from eating people.

I could still see a mordesh storyline where certain members of their race plot to overthrow them. It could even overlap into Dominion missions as the Dominion try to back the coup.

Of course it in the end he will discover that to cure the mordesh is actually fresh-squeezed chua.
  10. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah that bothered me as well. I totally get that he needed a catalyst to make the serum in the first place, but barely any women die of just childbirth in the modern western world. Why would they in a super advanced Mordesh society? I hope we get to know more of her in game (and of his daughter, who hopefully will play a role and not be shelved).
    Sonntam likes this.
  11. Domi Dayglow

Maybe that's why he became so obsessed. With all the advanced technology, there was no reason why she should have died. Yet she did and it drove him crazy?
  12. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

First of all, 'trust' or 'mistrust' within their own race might be alien complex to them, and that would help to explain why they all just took that elixir. People often assume that alien/fantastic races think way they do, and that just does not have to be true. Fact that most people consider them fools for taking it untested serves to strenghten argument that they think differently.

Secondly, they weren't exactly forced to take elixir. As race knowledgeable about alchemy I'm sure they were all aware there might be some risk.

Finally, and that's lot of speculation: how chould possibly such elixir work. I know it says he's alchemist, but it's hard to think of traditional alchemy in sci-fi setting. For sake of argument I'll assume that elixir used some kind or nanomachines, maybe even biologic version, but something that was supposed to rewrite body functions and do repairs when needed. Why nanomachines are so nice theory, is fact that third party can tamper with them, and trigger at will, at any time their other functions, ones meant to destroy. This also is one of possible explanations as to why first subject of serum(with months of lead) not onlyy wasn't among first casualities, but also held out for so long as to find way to stop it. That way, his theory and perofrmance is perfect, it's outside interference that destroyed Mordesh, but they don't know it.
    That's right. They don't really know why exactly elixir turned them from immortal to zombies. Victor doesn't know exactly either. But if anyine is to solve this mystery, it's him, so Mordesh don't really have any choice but to trust him.
  13. Domi Dayglow

That makes sense. Maybe it was the Chua! Looking for make a joke. Or maybe it was the Eldan! Or or maybe it was some other race that ate the Eldan!
  14. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Good point. Perhaps someone wanted her dead and plotted it that way, unknowing s/he would help along their race's destruction. :eek: It's like an Agatha Christie novel!
  15. ToeplitzDet

ToeplitzDet New Cupcake

I think Mordesh have no real reason not to trust Lazarin anymore. Yes, he did create the elixir at the origin of the Contagion. Yes, he was too confident and made early judgments on his discovery which had tragic repercussion on the Mordesh people. But it was never intended and as long as I know, he didn't force anyone to take it and even he was the first one to ever use it.

Moreover, I think if that kind of potion sprang up in real life, promising a life without death and without losing anyone, I'm sure people will believe in it and would like to take it.

So, if Mordesh are smart -which I'm convinced is true-, they have no reason to be mad with him.
  16. Domi Dayglow

After reading the "Meet the Chua" interview on the official website I think the Chua had some sinister little plot involving the Elixir! I mean Mondo is totally insane. Maybe he saw the mordesh as scientific competition. Or just thought the whole thing was a funny prank.
  17. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

I have a feeling like the elixir worked, but worked too well. As in an outside force like a contagion in combination with the elixir caused the Zombifacation. Having an outside force twist the elixir from a blessing to a curse would allow Lazarin to remain in "power" as the try to un FUBAR the elixir's reactions with other chemicals.

then again the last line is also: Victor hopes that someday he will discover a cure for the Contagion and reclaim the forgiveness and trust of his people.

So they don't trust him, but they'll let him live at least long enough to find a cure.
  18. Luc

Luc Cupcake-About-Town

how were them before the elixir? physically.
    were they blue/green, and the eyes without pupils ,how can they even see? or its just for 'em to be cool and awesome so screw logic.
  19. Quantum Wizard

Quantum Wizard Cupcake

So basically what I said? -_-
  20. Mimsy

Mimsy New Cupcake

Brilliant perspectives thus far, seriously fascinating bit of potential lore. This story could have HUGE repercussions in the WS universe.

In the end, the entire race is a victim of their own vanity, not the manipulations of a grieving father. Look at how many millions of people in our world succumb to promises of magic diet pills, spend thousands on creams and elixirs, take surgical risks, all in the name of vanity and beauty.

As with so many great supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi stories, the fantastic is a way of holding a mirror up to ourselves. I don't see this as being necessarily didactic, but it COULD be. Very keen to see this unfold.