1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do we have any idea on the various ways skills activate yet?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Ralanost, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Ralanost

Ralanost New Cupcake

The reason I ask this is because I love variety in combat. That is one thing I felt was sorely missing in GW2. You want a skill? Tap button, get skill. Every rare once in a while there was a slight activation timer, but for the most part, you use a skill and get immediate results.

These are roughly what I see as the various ways skills can activate.
    Main styles being:
    • Charging
    • DoTs
    • Short CD Instants
    • Procs
    • Cast Times
    Another one that I want to bring up specifically and in detail is how just using and activating a skill can be varied and dynamic and can make a very simple class have a fairly high skill ceiling. Be warned, wall of text inc.

So yeah, I got a little verbose. But this is to illustrate how something simple can make for very interesting gameplay. Do we know if there is a variety in skills to any degree or is it more like GW2 and it gives you immediate results 90% of the time? Also, I went in to some detail on the other styles in a file I made, so I can bring up more explanations if anyone desires.

Thoughts/comments?
  2. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

When I've watched gameplay of the alpha builds the only thing I've noted is that the casters [ESPers & Spellslingers so far] seemed to have a lot of spells with cast times. My current hope is that most them don't require the caster to stand completely still while the spell casts. When game devs present games, however, they'll often keep characters still even though they can move in order to make sure we can see what they're talking about.
  3. Ralanost

Ralanost New Cupcake

I know it's crazy, but I like it when moves require you to stand still if there is a cast time. Or animation locks like in TERA. It brings strategy to your movements and you have to know when you can commit to actually getting a move off or starting and having to abort the skill to not die. With games like GW2, you can cast and move all you want, which in turn gives combat in it a very floaty or on ice feel. There isn't a whole lot of strategy or planning on where you stand or when you use certain abilities (barring interupts/ccs). It really just felt like I was mashing keys as they came up with little thought or consequence.
  4. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I personally thought GW2's combat was alright but coulda been better; that's where Wildstar comes in!

I'm not really concerned with needing to be static while casting. I'm confident that there will be so many hazardous and beneficial telegraphs in big fights that you'll have plenty to think about.

Unlike GW2 where each class is largely self-sufficient, Wildstar is full Holy Trinity, so you better believe that when the healer throws down a telegraph, you're going to want to be there. Even more so if, like they say in the interviews, you have like a linear AOE healing ability, so the way to maximise it is to have allies standing in a line. When you throw in enemies laying down telegraphs of their own, you can see where hectic-ness and coordination start to come in.

Honestly, I didn't get the 'floatyness' feeling that I've heard some people describe GW2's combat to feel like. I quite liked moving around and casting stuff; it felt action-y! :D

That said, I think some spells in Wildstar will require you to not move in order to cast.
  5. moneda

It's not so crazy, I liked that part of TERA's combat also. My Warrior had a number of abilities during which she was locked in an animation, which always made me make sure that using them was what I really wanted to do in a given scenario. I'm only concerned now because casters are usually also quite squishy, as opposed to my TERA Warrior, so if I need to be a sitting duck while my casts are going off hopefully there'll be some CC abilities I can use to put some space between me and my adversaries. :D
  6. Morggause

Morggause Cupcake-About-Town

Unlike Tera you will be able to cancel any spell you are casting at any times it was confirmed by someone, somewhere, i just came home from work so i'll search later.
    That's somehting i really didn't like in Tera (and other mmo who do so, the only one i have in mind right now is Scarlett Blade) locking you in place while you cast a spell is not something you want in Pve, of course you coulld see it like you guys already said 'Do i want to cast this or not ?" but it's not really how you should think in pve, you should be able to react at any time, not because you misunderstood the fight or something, but casting until the last time to move is a gain in dps, stopcast when you need because you need to make a battle-rez as fast as possible is a gain on the fight. You should react, not ask yourself some question during a fight.
  7. moneda

That's the quote I think Morggause is referring to.
    Morggause likes this.
  8. TeKilla

TeKilla New Cupcake

I played GW2 and WoW, and i really like the WoW style better. When you have to stand still in order to cast something, and a void zone or something comes near you, you have to choose between casting your spell till the end in order to do more damage / healing or getting less damage.
    As a healer this is really something interesting. When i'm healing and at full HP, and i try to get a "rescue cast" on one of my raidmembers who's at 5% HP, i ignore standing in a fire to finish that cast. but when the raid member is maybe at 50% HP i have to choose between me losing HP and him getting HP now, and not after i cancelled my cast and recasted it.
  9. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I prefer the action style of GW2 - if something is forcing me to stand in place with a large 'smack me please' sign over my head then it needs to be suitably effective to give a good feeling of risk vs reward.

That Tera charge/overcharge mechanic sounds quite interesting, adding another layer of depth to skill usage for those skills that utilise it.

With regards to procs I hope they have good visible/audible indicators to procs as I dislike being forced to watch a buff bar/skill bar to take advantage of procs - far more fun and immersive to keep your eyes on the actual fighting.

For DoTs I hope they have the group mechanics worked out for the 40 man raids so DoT users are not restricted/penalised - having personal caps rather than mob caps for example (ie not like GW2 which made having multiple bleed stacking players a bad idea).
  10. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

This is a good post. The tradeoff between using a skill and moving is one of the more interesting choices players can make, so not everything should be "run and gun."

When I played at Arkship, our characters were only level 6 so most of the abilities were core damage dealers with some cooldowns here and there. Like the OP, I hope to see variety such as DoTs, procs, CC, etc. My experience is mostly coming from playing the Stalker so there might be some differences with the Spellslinger or Warrior!

The combat to me felt like a perfect mix of WoW's solid feel and GW2's action. With WildStar frosting on top ;)
    Patrician likes this.
  11. moneda

Ditto that.
  12. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Mmm... frosting...

It's my opinion that GW2 combat often is what led to me not feeling connected to my character. At first I was completely on board with it. Action action action, work it harder, make it faster, never stopping, never slowing... *twitch* Whoops got stuck there. Anyway, I first thought it was great!

But as time went on it felt rather... floaty. My character sort of just ghosted everywhere, and I never felt like his feet were planted firmly on the ground so swings and attacks and even spells never felt like they connected with me.

When you have to stop now and then, it just adds so much more to the strategy involved, I feel. After all, kiting in MMOs is possibly the most boring way to kill things. It can be fun and feel "skilled" when it's DIFFICULT to do, but it was the easiest things in the world to do in GW2. They sort of gave every single class the ability to do it to ALL melee mobs. >.>

I do wonder how telegraphs for our heals are going to work though. Very curious about that! I like what I've seen so far though (especially from the Stalker class! I probably won't play one as my main at release but it just looks so smooth and quick!) and I hope that they keep that feeling of dodging and fast past movement mixed in with abilities you need to plant your feet to use.
  13. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

With double click dodging, aoe and enemy attacks marked with graphic on the ground, and the ability to either place your aoe or autoplace them on enemies, it sounds more like The Secret World and less like GW2. I don't think I ever "dodged" anything in GW2 with the combat rolls, most of the time it felt like they were just there for flavor.

Now, TSW on the other hand, has the "suddenly a circle will appear around an enemy GET OUT OF IT" where the combat rolls come in handy. Which to me looks like what Wildstar is trying to do.

Oh man some of the creature I saw even have the akab column dash .______.;
  14. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Yeah I dodged a ton on my thief due to mechanics taking advantage of that, but most other classes I rarely did so and could just keep moving and avoid nearly everything.

There was a lot of dodging in PvP of course as it made you immune to whatever was coming, but in PvE... well, it was kind of easy to avoid mob attacks. ^^

Also, what was the akab column dash? :confused:
  15. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

The only issue that Tera really ran into was animation lock. This happens when you cast the spell but the actual animation continues, keeping you trapped in that spot until the animation is complete. This becomes extremely frustrating when precise movement is required. Casting an ability only to have a boss mode immediately cast a one shot while your trapped in a casting animation...

As a general rule of thumb you never want the player to feel like they don't have control over their character, at any time. Its uncomfortable for users. Having another player or mob cause a lose of control is one thing but having something you have done making you lose a bit of control is unsettling. Its the same reason people hate lag. You know you pressed that key or preformed the correct actions to get out of the way but the system prevented you from doing so. You never want the system to ruin that feeling of connection between the user and the character they are playing.

So movement should break casting at all times doesn't matter whats going. You always want the player to be able to move.

When it comes to stopping to cast, this is really all dependent on the ability. Having some abilities that allow you to cast while moving and others that don't add strategy and diversity to combat.
    Patrician likes this.
  16. moneda

I was actually fine with animation locking, particularly as with most classes in TERA there was a dodge or escape ability that you could use to break out of the animations of other abilities. Knowing when to use them added to the strategy of the game IMO.
  17. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Heh, well I never pvp'd or played a thief so I could be mistaken

also the "akab column dash" is where ummm...how do I explain it. Okay, in the gamespot video with the stalker, there's a moment where the wolf or whatever he's fighting lays down a biiiig rectangle in front of it (as opposed to a circle or arc aoe) and then dashes down the rectangle/column.

That's a column dash.

Akab were enemies in The Secret World who did that often, and were INCREDIBLY annoying because of it. Combined with the fact that they spawned thick on the ground and you have a situation were an akab would dash into a group of 2 more making the fight three times as hard. And with Secret Worlds difficulty being "every single monster is a fight by itself", fighting more than one mob at a time was near impossible.
    Patrician likes this.
  18. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

That sounds both challenging and potential fun and also possibly insanely frustrating, all in one go!
  19. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Trust me, it's just the latter.
  20. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I loved fighting Ak'abs - so long as you could get out of their dash attack they were fairly harmless. Alas, they were relatively hard to solo pull!
    Patrician likes this.