Do you like having a limited action set?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Perigon, Dec 5, 2013.

?

Limited action set?

1. Yay

73.3%
  2. Nay

12.7%
  3. May...be?

14.0%
  1. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

From doing a bit of browsing, it seems to me that this is one of the most controversial aspects of wildstar. So a simple question for you guys, do you like having a limited action set in an mmo?

Personally i think it's a great idea and for two main reasons. Firstly it makes it so that a class doesn't neccesarily have to define your playstyle and thus makes you're character more unique.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, it makes the game far more accessible for people. Having your entire keyboard full of binds is daunting for the average player and turns a lot of casuals away from mmos. Most people don't have the time to memorise the location and then become good at using 20+ abiities binded to different keys. It makes the game fun early on for casuals while still allowing for hardcore players to become better with more play. Wildstar is a lot more about position than abilities.
  2. Goodwin

Goodwin New Cupcake

Yes and no.

I like it because it makes you think which ability is the best to use next, especially since a lot of them seem to be "multi functional" like the Medic who's doing both DPS and healing in one ability. I really enjoyed it in GW2.

On the other hand, I kinda like and miss having a whole bunch of different abilities on my action bar, WoW style. But that might just be nostalgia talking.

Either way, I'd also be cool with it had they decided against the LAS. No complaints. Devs probably know better than a random dude who's never made an mmo.
  3. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Once It was likend to a deck building game. they are giving you 40ish cards to choose from, you have to pick the 8 that suits your play style/situation and role. I like it. Makes people slightly different.
    schmell, Taher, teh_ninjaneer and 3 others like this.
  4. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Love it. Especially with the AMP system.

Everyone should ask themselves, honestly, if they ever really used more than 10-12 abilities in a fight or battle? The answer, for most, is probably no.

Having more abilities on the screen is an illusion to having more choices or, a crutch to not have to think, or be tactical as you can do it all right now. The original GW did this the best for me. A strong amount of skills but only room for 8 on your bar.
  5. Katherine

Katherine Cupcake-About-Town

I don't like it, really. It will just be superfluous in the end, and annoying. You'll get the best loadouts for certain situations and switch between them - ends up exactly the same as a none LAS game just with bar switching. There won't be any uniqueness with the cookie-cutter builds, really, unless you take a weaker set of abilities - but then thats not different to the 'old school' talent trees. Only good thing about it is its less clutter, and therefore easier to keybind - but I've got a razer naga so binding has never been an issue for me. Ho hum.
  6. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

You're partially right. That's because there is a limited amount of abilities to actually choose from. If there was more variety in the abilities this would be less of an issue.
  7. Katherine

Not always. Even in games with swathes of abilities you get 'the best set'. Unless they are amazingly good at balancing, some will always shine over others.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  8. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Tsw disagrees.
  9. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

True, but when you have 20-40 players and you have a different job than somebody else should you really be using the same build to accomplish 2 different things? Why not optimize for what you need to do.
    Kataryna likes this.
  10. Katherine

Of course you wouldn't all have the same spec, but you would have the best spec (or loadout) for your role, or a 'cookie cutter' spec. If you and the three other spellslingers were all DPSing, you would probably have exactly the same loadout to optimise your DPS, unless one of you was on a very specific duty.

Basically: Theorycrafting makes the choice an illusion.
    teh_ninjaneer and Livnthedream like this.
  11. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

Key word "Theory"

Theoretically you could have multiple builds that do the exact same amount of damage but the abilities themselves can deviate on their functions. While I DPS the same target as you I'm buffing the group and at the same time you're debuffing the target using different abilities. Still pushing the same amount of DPS. How could that be a cookie cutter build if we're doing the same damage but with different abilities?

The problem arises when you don't have those options. Currently you are limited by a small pool of abilities.

Hence adding more abilities allows diversity.
    Witless likes this.
  12. Livnthedream

So you want class homogenization instead?
  13. Sarigar

Sarigar Cupcake

I prefer the limited action set. I loved City of Heroes, but it was daunting having literally every key on my keyboard bound to some function or another. WoW was similar, and SWTOR likewise (SWTOR is one of the worst offenders). Being able to load sets of abilities as the situation warrants is a lot better than having to have everything bound at all times.
    Syn and Smedmann like this.
  14. EndOfMortality

EndOfMortality New Cupcake

15. Katherine

Like I said, if your role was the buffer then you would take 'the best buff'. I've yet to see a game where theory crafting hasn't trumpted personal choice. It could happen, but they would either have to make all abilities almost exactly the same, or be the best MMO to date at balancing.

I don't agree with more abilities adding more diversity - theres only so much you can do to make it balanced. And if you're not making it balanced, then some will just be left to get all cobwebbed up, so then its pointless they're there in the first place.

In single player games it adds more diversity, but in MMOs its more about competition so the best will always be found & chosen.
  16. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

LoL WHAT?!

homogenization =to change (something) so that its parts are the same or similar

I'm talking about the opposite. Homogenization would be cookie cutter builds.

You could homogenize abilities to be SIMILAR but not the SAME.

lord.....
  17. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

Then why not just have 1 ability and be done with it? Why even have 8?

Spam elite damage spell 1 .. GG

You agreeing or disagreeing doesn't change the fact adding more abilities gives diversity.
    Alverad likes this.
  18. Katherine

Because there are at least 8 different ability types. Maybe I didn't explain properly.

Like: You have a fruitbowl with 8 fruit. There are enough fruits in the world for each to be unique. But, then, you keep adding fruit and eventually you'll get different shapes of apple. Basically, if you add more abilities some of them will be barely different to the next, because there aren't enough archetypes. There is an ability tipping point from diverse to duplication.
  19. Livnthedream

Except that is not what homogenization is. WoW is a great example of this. Where mages warlocks and shadowpriests all have very different spells, but they all feel the same to play. Carbine has already had to create 180 unique abilities with up to 2 additional player chosen variations on them. A single ability in Wildstar can be effectively Shadowbolt, Fireball, and/or Frostbolt. More != better.
  20. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

Your analogy is bad. Because there are Hundreds of different fruits with all unique tastes shapes and colors.

Also how is this bad? If I have an options to lets say Damage with a slow or have a better slow with less damage?

The whole added part to this is that THERE will be more abilities in time. So you're saying next expansion don't bother adding new abilities because they're good now?
    Alverad likes this.