1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do you think Wildstar could surpass WoW in subscribers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zigzak, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Zigzak

Zigzak New Cupcake

While I was taking a bath yesterday I was wondering that maybe Wildstar would get more subscribers than World of Warcraft. Now that WoW has lost some subs, maybe us MMO players are looking for a new MMO to play (perhaps similar to wow). So maybe in the following years Wildstar would grow more subscribers than WoW.

Please leave your opinion about this thread. :)
  2. Pushkina

Pushkina New Cupcake

No
    They, Zerdav, Jarinolde and 1 other person like this.
  3. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

No probably not due to the fact of time, and how things were. It took WoW not long at all to get subscribers but now days there is alot more options so its been branched.
    Trigger likes this.
  4. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

No, Nothing will now or ever. WoW only got as many subs as it did cause it hit at the right time with the right dev with a game that followed on from one of the biggest pc game franchises at the time.

WoW is a useless benchmark of success because those circumstances will never exist again for this genre.
  5. Aari

Aari Cupcake-About-Town

You can never know. It really depends on the content wildstar offers and how much the devs can add post-release. So many MMO's suffer from running out of content fast and to slow developement and casualization making everything last as long as a week.
    But if happens it will take quite some time probably.
  6. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

No, WoW was the perfect storm of so many factors that it's unlikely it would happen again.

Which is a good thing, WoW having a monopoly stagnated the genre and lead to the idea every MMO has to be all things to all people to be successful.
    Jarinolde, Psistorm and F8L Fool like this.
  7. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

Not a chance.

Not because it will be an inferior game or anything, but because the entire gaming industry has been turned on its head by alternate payment models, over saturation of the market, console multiplayer and most importantly; the advent of social and mobile gaming. In the past people only used their computers for multiplayer/online games because there was a foundation for it and no viable competition. That just isn't the case anymore.

WoW ballooned heavily because it took so many of the Everquest mechanics (and their users) and made them more accessible to the masses. With EQ players jumping ship and Blizzard/Warcraft fans following suit the game took on a life of its own. Lack of real competition + crazed fan base=$$$$.

World of Warcraft was in the right place at the right time, that's all there is to it. Don't expect any MMO to be able to replicate its success—in terms of pure subscriptions that is—ever again.
    Picobeat and Anthony Pemberton like this.
  8. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

If Wildstar hits WoW's most successful mark then there would probably be no other MMOs on the market. It is just about impossible due to some of the things WoW fed off of and how it got its snowball of success.

If Wildstar gets close? Well then <expletive> they did a MMO perfect and we'll be playing this game for years to come.
  9. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

But, is 2013 still the "right time" to have over 8 million subscribers? Because they do. It's not a fluke.

Anyway, to the OP, anything is possible. One thing I'm confident WildStar will do is grow... which is something no game other than WoW and EVE have done.
    SniperCT likes this.
  10. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

You forget that WoW is slowly on the decline now in subscription numbers.

Also, lately the MMO genre had been spreading out with Minecraft and Eve. It's games that are not for everyone, but may still interest quite a few.

Wildstar is different enough in terms of combat to differentiate itself from Warcraft. If it's a WoW clone then maybe only in terms of cartoony graphics, everything else is quite unique. It may intereste quite a few former WoW players who are just too burnt-out from the usual WoW copycats.

I doubt that Wildstar will gain in the first years a bigger playerbase than Warcraft, but give it about five years and with good, continual work on this MMO and it may compete with WoW.

Wildstar has the potential, the only question is whether in the long run Carbine will be able to dish out enough content to keep the players satisfied, whether they are flexible enough to fix issues and add new shinies. Most MMOs fail at this part, but I'm willing to give Wildstar the benefit of doubt, it is the MMO with the most potential I've seen in the last five years.
    ArdentSun, Thordran and Teehk like this.
  11. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

I think Wildstar has a legitimate shot at having more players than WoW by the time Titan releases (which is when Blizz will get their fanbois back regardless of how that game turns out). However, I don't believe it will ever come close to the peak of 12+ million that WoW had. WoW is in heavy decline with no signs of slowing down, and this looks to easily be the most polished and updated MMO coming out anytime soon. This could very easily directly steal many WoW subscribers because of a lot of similarities.

If Wildstar doesn't do it, I don't think any MMO will.
  12. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

~No one said it was a fluke just it was a perfect storm.
    ~How it gained customers to reach critical mass is a wholly different issue to long term customer retention.
    ~No one said WoW was a bad game (I said it was bad for the genre) it has always been good at releasing new features to aid in customer retention.
    ~Having not competition, people feeling that they're essentially 'in to deep' to get out in terms of character investment and the social aspect, People using it primarily as a social tool (this has been address by blues in the past it is a very real occurrence).
    ~They're losing more subs faster then they ever have before it's age is slowly but inevitably catching up to it.
  13. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly- with the amount of advertising Wildstar has already started putting forth- once we know a significant portion of the information on the game near launch it is very plausible that wiser players (given wildstar doesn't make a misstep and fall flat on its face in a key detail) will jump ship to Wildstar from WoW and do some damage even there.... its obvious whenever a new MMO comes out other MMOs lose players- no matter what SOME players jump ship to go to the new one for whatever reason.

Will Wildstar equal WoW's subscription base?....Er--- like everyone else has said- give it time?
  14. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

But it's *still* a perfect storm. They *still* have for players than all other triple-A MMOs combined. And their players *still* pay every month for the privilege to so! The only thing losing subscribers in WoW is it's age... it's outlasting players based on sheer stamina!

But this is not the topic of the thread. My feeling is WildStar can be the first MMO since WoW to actually grow numbers, not shed them.
    Daynejah likes this.
  15. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

World of Warcraft was the only big MMO at the time of it's release, with the following from Warcraft 3 Blizzard was guaranteed a tonne of subs from that. Nowadays, there are new MMO's releasing every other month, there's no chance one MMO will grab 12 million + subs again without a large background in the industry and/or a tonne of advertising material.

That being said, it's not impossible, just highly unlikely.

Best of luck to WildStar though. I do hope it succeeds. :)
  16. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

I feel the numbers they still have is more to do with up until now most new mmos out have been wow with a different coat of pain so why leave wow? I tried quite a few mmos and ended up back there because why would yo want o play a worse version of something you already had? especially if your friends are still there.

As it finally starts to lose it subs they wont all end up in one place though some will head here, Some will go to eso some will head to a mmofps like planetside(im playing that atm) so nobody is going to get 10 mill+ though. You could end up with a few good ones all stabilizing over 1 mill+ subs but there's so much choice though now.
    Chuk likes this.
  17. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

even if the game is 10/10,to achieve something like 8 million subs is a monumental task which will take years.
  18. Zigzak

Zigzak New Cupcake

No body said that Wildstar would get millions of subs after release or a few month after. But if you let the game roll for 4-5 years, perhaps Wildstar would achieve as many subs as WoW did after 4-5 years.
    I think that WS probably could get more subs than WoW had after 4-5 years, cause people know what a MMO is. So they have some expectation to what a MMO may contain.
    Sonntam likes this.
  19. Auxiliary

Auxiliary Cupcake

I hope it never reaches the amount of players WoW did. Blizzard was clearly overwhelmed by their own succes and started abandoning their own philosophies for quick cash instead of thinking of retaining customers for extended periods of time.

There is always something to do in WoW, but none of it really serves much purpose since within 10 weeks everyone will be able to get their hands on it with minimal effort and time invested. I recently bought MoP since I wanted to raid again.

It took me 4 days to do everything I wanted to do when I made the decision to return to WoW. I had fun, but I am already bored again and I doubt that I will want to extend my subscription. Frankly said, I deem it unlikely that I will return for another year or two.

To return to the topic! I don't think Wildstar will ever surpass 2,5 - 3 million subscribers, but that's perfectly fine. I figure this game can survive for a very long time if there is a playerbase of more than a million active players.
    Zigzak likes this.
  20. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Don't know and don't care, this is what all the wow kiddies care about.