1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do you think Wildstar could surpass WoW in subscribers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zigzak, Jun 1, 2013.

1. imrevned

imrevned Cupcake

Technically, it isn't possible to definitely say "no", but.. I doubt it. WoW is just too big.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

No, Nada, Zilch, Nyet, Nein, Lawnga, Bushi, Meyin, Kamaj, Non, Ochi and Geen!
    Xevius and Kethrym like this.
  3. Fornix

Fornix Cupcake

World of Warcraft peak subscriber count? Next to no chance.

An active World of Warcraft subscriber count may be more likely however. Having peaked at over 12 million in 2010, and dropped to around the 8 million mark earlier this year WoW is well past its golden years. If Blizzard would be unsuccesful in countering a further decrease in player count it's just going to be a matter of time before it drops to a point where other titles will surpass it.

It is most certainly not going to be a short term thing though. The figures will most likely follow same trends as e.g. Lineage had. I'd expect WoW to drop below the 1 million mark not anytime sooner than 2017 in its current rate of decline.

Depending on the level of succes of WildStar, there may be a time when the figures would exceed it. However, things do become increasingly hard to even track or compare as traditional financial models are fading away. Subscriber figures are less common to be disclosed as overall revenue and active players is of more interest to shareholders.
  4. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

Let's be realistic. The answer is no. WildStar will NEVER get to those subscriber numbers. Too many factors against WildStar, and too many factors that played into WoW's rise to the top.
    Witless likes this.
  5. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

I hope yes, but not by killing wow, but killing those <REDACTED>ty mmos which are launched every year. Honestly, someone must be retarded to play Neverwinter instead of Wildstar. Throw Gw2, Warhammer, Tera, Neverwinter, archage, dragons prophet, etc, all the korean/chinese garbage in the dumpster

The market would be so good if we have only WoW and Wildstar. My hopes are if Wildstar grows enough to surpass wow, blizzard wake up and turn WoW into what they used to be and remove Ghostcrawler from WoW.
    Kethrym likes this.
  6. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

It is possible, if unlikely, that Wildstar will get as many subscribers as World of Warcraft has American Subscribers. If they achieve the million player 1 year mark it will be a resounding success. If they hit the 3 million mark for even a month it will be a stunning success that will ensure Wildstar is around for most of a decade.

This is, of course, based on a $15 subscription model. At $180 million a year this game would pay itself off, quickly, and settle directly into profit. All they have to do is convince a million players to enjoy their game. And with their cartoon-ish style, high personality, and WoW BC focus, it is entirely possible, if unlikely, that they may succeed.

-Rachel-
  7. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I suppose it's technically possible, but I hope that's not Carbine's goal. I want them to make a good, fun, financially successful, stable MMO and to treat their players fairly. You can do all of that without trying to be the WoW Killer, and in a lot of cases, trying to aim too hard to kill WoW ends up getting in the way of some of those other goals.
  8. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

For me "stable" is very important - I want a game I can settle into for the long-term and find lightly populated servers a big turn off.

And I don't think 3 mil subscribers is impossible for a game that shows it's enjoyable and sufficiently different, and well publicised. Guildwars 2 shifted 3+ million copies, yeah?
  9. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I'd agree stable is important for a game being a good long term virtual home. It's all well and fine to have a big launch, but there's something to be said for having people running around in game a year later, when there's another 6 months to go until the next expansion.

GW2 doesn't actually have 3 million people playing it during any given month, which is the proper comparison to a game's number of subscribers. I hope WildStar does well and think it will, but I don't think using WoW as the benchmark is either realistic or helpful. Looking at games that have managed to remain healthy for a number of years seems like a better idea.
    Apostate and Anthony Pemberton like this.
  10. AimLock

AimLock Cupcake

Guys this is like thinking about your old girlfriend when you are with your new girlfriend . We have all been there done that , move on . Think wildstar ! think about the crazy <REDACTED> you want the Devs are listening :)
  11. Zyd

Zyd Cupcake

No, but you never know. If the game is fun and challenging it will last forever, don't worry about numbers.
  12. Groossum

Groossum Cupcake-About-Town

I hope it's fun and with enough ppl to keep them going and more importantly developping for many years. Hope I enjoy the game for a long time. Not sure ppl would sub in the millions (18 for Wow once) to anything these days. Too many choices (lots bad) and ppl less patient to try new games. If all is not perfect the first month ...ppl rage quit while saying vanilla Wow was better. Cross finger for WS success.
  13. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Nope.
  14. Roguehandle

Roguehandle Cupcake

No.

WoW is part of the american culture. Its name has been said in TV shows and movies. It even had a episode on Southpark! Plus, a lot of them do not want to start at level 1 at a new game and become what they hate the most.....being a noob.
  15. Xevius

Xevius Cupcake

^ Yeah, what he said.
  16. Steampunkette

WoW having any number above 6 million in Subscriptions has always been an incredibly misleading matter.

All of it's Chinese numbers are "Subscriptions" in the same way you purchase a subscription to a magic fingers bed in a sleezy motel. They aren't monthly subscriptions, but instead short-term playtime purchases. Like 6 hours or so.

In that way, their numbers have been heavily inflated. 6 million, however, remains far and away the largest quantity and incredibly impressive.

-Rachel-
  17. Groossum

Groossum Cupcake-About-Town

Point being? All MMOs have gold subs...you think Wildstar won't?
    Even 1 million monthly real subs is good for any MMOs, and I'm pretty sure WOW had more and Wildstar will be happy when they hit 1 million too. Hopefully for them soon (if they go the sub plan of course).
  18. Steampunkette

I wasn't referring to gold farming (Which is a bit on the racist side, by the way) but instead on the payment model. Paying $0.50 for a 3 hour stint on the game once a month is not the same thing as putting down $14.99 a month.

Though 1 million subscribers is a great benchmark for them to aim for. And from everything I've seen it seems like it is a completely reasonable 12 month retention goal.

-Rachel-
  19. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Too many mmo's on the market to achieve that, When WoW came out the MMO market wasn't as saturated as it is now.
    Xevius likes this.
  20. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

No, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.