1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Dungeon finder's suck.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by qqmoarploxify, Feb 12, 2013.

1. qqmoarploxify

qqmoarploxify Cupcake-About-Town

Yup, I said it.

I find dungeon finders split up the community even worse then it already is in most games. Some of my favorite times back in old WoW was (up to mid wotlk if im not mistaken, I forget the exact time they added a dungeon finder) finding a group of people on my server and then having to walk to the front of the dungeon. Even when you got there, you would almost always have to fight the other faction for the summoning stone and I just though it added such good community development.

Now, in every game that comes out I find myself just hitting the "Queue for dungeon" button, waiting for it to pop and then going into this dungeon with 4 other people that I don't even know. Half the time we don't say a word to each other and when the dungeon is finished we just leave group.

Of course, if you think like this then why not just forget about the dungeon finder and instead find a group instead? Well there is a couple reasons. First of all, in a game with a dungeon finder it's almost impossible to find 4 other people willing to just group up and walk to the dungeon. Secondly, if the option is there for me to use, I'd be a fool not to use it.

I'm hoping that Wildstar doesn't have a dungeon finder.
    Mudfin likes this.
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

It will have one. Jeremy Gaffney confirmed that in the mmorpg.com interview last week. If the LFG finder will be cross-realm we don't know (yet).
    JarNod likes this.
  3. qqmoarploxify

qqmoarploxify Cupcake-About-Town

Bah they always suck.
  4. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

I think the prob with dungeon finders is actually a prob only when it is cross server... thats when the server community is compromised... i am ok with df as long as it is limited to the server....
    John likes this.
  5. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

When Wrath dropped me and my girlfriend rolled on a newly launched server. Around level 60-ish in Outland we ended up hooking up with 3 other players, who we proceeded to level to 80 with and eventually form a guild with. Even though we eventually went our separate ways, we kept in touch with those guys for a long time.

There is something to be said for the community building aspect of playing with other people on your server. A cross-realm LFG would not have afforded us that opportunity. But a realm specific group finder can be a nice way to meet people on your own server without having to sit in a city (or at a meeting stone) and spam.

On a side note, WoW's LFG came out near the end of Wrath when the ICC 5-man dungeons were launched.
    Aheadache likes this.
  6. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've never built a relationship with anyone from a group, regardless of whether or not I had to stand around and advertise "Healer LFG for such and such dungeon" or if I just used a dungeon finder. Although MMOs are massively multi-player by definition, I have always played them more solo, or at the very most with friends from real life. I've been in guilds and have gotten to know a couple people in the very slightest of ways through them while I played, and that's about it.

I think if you're wanting to build lasting relationships, it's more easily done through guilds as opposed to spamming the LFG channel hoping to find like-minded people to play alongside with for the rest of the game. I hardly think a dungeon finder destroys communities. Rather, it helps avoid frustration and many hours of trying to find and form a full group just to accomplish one part of the game - something that not everyone has the privileged of being able to do, being that many of us only have a limited amount of free time.
    Ringfinger and JarNod like this.
  7. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

I am inclined to disagree with you. I can understand a nostalgic hearken-back to a time where you spent an hour typing in general "L1M for Nexus", but I just don't have the time to do that anymore. A dungeon finder allows for connecting with those who want to get the content done.
    I do agree that the implementation of most dungeon finders have been fraught with many issues, including the abuse of these systems. I think that a rating system of those who you group with which leads you to group with those people more often would help.
    I think that the dungeon finder is actually part of a change in MMORPGs themselves, people have changed that play these games and have different expectations. I don't know how many articles/podcasts where individuals have spoken about changes in the players of MMORPGs. Something happened sometime ago when nobody was watching and the now there are some individuals who feel lost in the genre they thought they enjoyed.
  8. thrastorm7

I
    I'll have to disagree on this one, not just me, but several ppl i know of made friends or established a fair gaming relationship through random groups. It is actually extremely important to be able to do so. For example in my case i can tell you that when i play with a good player, i usually add him as friend so to play again together, and some times to recruit even for the guild.
    Aheadache likes this.
  9. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

This is exactly how my wife and I found our guild in WOTLK after a previous guild breakup. We kept running randoms and ran into 3 others that were doing heroics from a same server guild. Was a really nice run and we had fun and were even using chat (how rare in a random).
    Ingsoc likes this.
  10. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

Yayyy dungeon finders! Because let's be honest... Sometimes I don't want to wait an hour for some guy who has a predeliction for typing "anyone here a girl?" Into party chat... If rather just start that horror immediately.
  11. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I honestly don't see a problem with Dungeon Finder tools. It basically reduces the wait time, whether you choose to shout out and find people or use a tool to match you up. The idea behind the dungeon finder tool hating is that it kills the social aspect, but the quick matching system is not to blame, the players are! They chose to be not so social, they chose to finish up the dungeon quickly then move on to the next one, all in an effort to farm those valor points faster. That is the real problem, in my opinion. How can that be dealt with? I don't know, but I sure am excited to see what Carbine has in store for us.
    Zerdav likes this.
  12. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

Getting to the meta argument here, I think competition grows community more than cooperation. What's going to make communities in wildstar great isn't general chat getting blown up with LF1M's but instead a number of serious guilds making serious plays at being the top on their server. Maybe I'm on the outside here but my long-standing friends in MMOs weren't found in 5-mans but through guild recruitment.
    John and Recruiter like this.
  13. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I wonder how much of this is an issue with older games where everyone knows the tactics, and the roles that their class is playing - with brand new content, classes, and combat styles I suspect even if there is a Dungeon Finder (and it's not been said that their is one, just a LFG tool) there is going to be a healthy amount of conversation.

Or a lot of team wipes.
  14. thrastorm7

Lets not forget that the above apply only if the lfg tool is server wide and not cross server
  15. thrastorm7

Excellent post,

Signed
  16. Dragnog

I think that they are underutilized as a social builder because all they do is bring people together. I think that dungeon finders can take a page out of the book of a lobby system for something like Heroes Of Newerth. People who are looking for dungeons do not all fit into the same group and I think this is where the social disconnect happens. The other side of the coin is that you need to make it as simple and painless as possible.
  17. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Really, dungeon finder is as good as one are willing to do it oneself.

1. you do not like grouping with strangers, use the friend list or guild chat to go with "familiars" you pick yourself,

2. you do not like cross server, then hope same server is an optional you can choose as a filter, alternatively go to option 1. and add general chat to premake a group from your server,

3. don't use it, if you do not like it, how it works - I did not use the lfg tool on EQ2 and SWTORs, when I played them, and I am usually for lfg tools as an alternative to spam generel chat.

4. devs can't improve without feedback, and this goes for all features: think about how the features can be improved to be more enjoyable for you, give the developers constructive ideas for improving it, player options is better than player restrictions ideas - and total removal is not a suggestion for improving the feature, even if you think it improves the game.
  18. Dragnog

I think that this maybe the largest breaking of the community - servers. I think that if there is technology issue which means that servers are required then all communication should be by server. I think the most elegant solution is no servers at all, but the problem with this is that there are built in rules for server types. Maybe three meta-servers (PvP, PVE, RP) with dynamic creation of instances that can be switched between similar to overflow servers in GW2?
  19. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

LFG doesn't bother me much, but if there is x-realm of any sort than I have a problem. Nothing like splitting communities!
  20. Dragnog

Personally I think it is the other way round - the finder has brought to light the community split.
    SiegaPlays likes this.