Econ Devblog - Circuit Board Crafting

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In a minor break with tradition, we have a new dev blog posted on a Friday - and it's a big one! Our first look at one of WildStar's crafting systems - Circuit Board Crafting (CBC). It's perhaps the info you've been waiting for if you're a craft-y type, plus Carbine reveal they're going to give the community a chance to design new item slots soon!

( Read more )
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

The Carbine Way: "We are going to be creating a few new Item Slots, and we wanted you guys, the community, to give input on what those slots will be." This why I want to play this game!
  3. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

so what will we be choosing??? Face/glasses/masks? Capes? Belts? Necklaces? Rings?
    What do you guys/gals wanna see??
    Joukehainen likes this.
  4. SomebodyDead

SomebodyDead New Cupcake

I honestly love this item system, it's like a streamlined version of WoW's enchantment/socket/etc mess.

There are some drawbacks though, specifically the part about slot locked random chips? That bodes ill. That would mean to get exactly the weapon you want, you would have to farm an absurd amount until you had the right arrangement of locked random slots, and I don't find that fun or engaging. I understand they are trying to prevent Best In Slot builds for items, but I don't think that is the way to combat it. Just having locked slots with gear having specific chips that come as a staple of the item seems fine to me. Kind of like Legendaries in Diablo 3, they have some constants, but everything else is random (in this case everything else would be customized to your liking though).

I just don't want to see the items in this game become similar to other games, where you have 2/3 of the stats you want, and then one is for an entirely different class or something, making the item essentially useless.
  5. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Patience, I have a... feeling... we'll find out soon enough!
  6. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

I'm still sitting down going over the functionality of items that you have hard locked microchips in them that you will want to maximize for certain attributes/passives/procs

A random example.
    Your class wants attack speed->dmg->regen
    Based on the system of passives and procs it is going to be interesting to see if you end up min/maxing with items that have random/socket lock and having to perhaps farm that item again for another possible drop with a better random microchip.
    So I farm for a while and pickup AS and Regen
    But I keep farming and eventually get AS/DMG

Possibilities

I like SSM (slot specific microchips) as everyone knows you enchant speed on your boots :p

Interesting... Indeed.
  7. SomebodyDead

SomebodyDead New Cupcake

As for what item slots I'd like to see added, definitely things that don't clutter the character up too much, but are still visible and can have stats put on them. Like scabbards/gunholsters, bandoliers, socks?, outerwear. Other options include custom accessories, like grappling hooks or grenade bags, something that affects gameplay and gives a player new ways to do combat or traverse and interact with their environment.
    Acidblood, ruff_ethereal and Rokras like this.
  8. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

This immediately struck me as similar to the intriguingly in-depth modification system SWTOR had up until late in their beta. Man... what a waste.

This was a great read though, and despite a few nitpicks I have about the placeholder interface I am totally enthralled.
    Afrotech and Lethality like this.
  9. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Must be Christmas! We've discussing a similar system with my partner for weeks. One that allows you to play with stat allocation to suit your needs, also one, that practically eliminates 'useless' items from the game - no more "this weapon is poo", nothing is poo, it is what you make it to be :).

" The goal is to make it very rare to have a 100% completely optimal item. We want you to have to make hard decisions about items. Different schematics split the Power in different ways, so it is important where you put your ARCs."

Awesome. I've been using that word way to often lately and all in reference to Wildstar :p

"We are going to be creating a few new Item Slots, and we wanted you guys, the community, to give input on what those slots will be. It will be a lot easier for you guys to come up with some awesome new item types if you understand how our items work in general."

Awesome. Again...

Funny how it takes so little to engage the community, yet it seems to be too much of an effort for most companies out there, as if they don't notice that the gaming world around them is alive: growing and changing, and it's time for a different approach.

Just as I was settling down after PAX craze, more stuff to get me all excited about the game:p
    Zilvoran, Afrotech and ruff_ethereal like this.
  10. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not too worried about what the UI looks like at this point. The game is still in development and everything is bound to change by launch.

As for the modding. Looks very interesting and a nice way of giving players the ability (to a certain degree) to control some of the stats on their armor and weapons to build them how they want their character to play.
  11. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

The loot drama that will ensue when someone loses out on an optimal item for their build to someone who the item is suboptimal for.

Interesting system. Reminds me of Path of Exile a bit.
  12. Xryus

Xryus Cupcake

I like the idea that the item you have may not be 100% BIS(Best in Slot). With all the information we have at our disposal these days you know exactly what build to take and exactly which items to get. This system probably won't stop that, but we may at least have to work a bit harder to get there.
  13. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

That system looks like it will be fun to use and mess around with. :)
  14. 3seed

3seed Cupcake

Yes, and the removal system reminds of Torchlight. Neither of which is a bad thing.

I love how Carbine is taking all these interesting ideas and melding them together.
    Afrotech likes this.
  15. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

I love the little jab he threw at EJ and about min/max-ing. It is nice to know that they are designing the mod system and then the crafting systems around the idea of not being able to/needing to/wanting to min/max your gear. Provides more flavor to your individual character and along witht he attribute distribution on level ups could change the way same classes are played to help match their player....Very intriguing. I see that MC crafters(if that will be a crafting prof) will be in high demand. The oodles of money!!!!!

-Plic-
    Zilvoran likes this.
  16. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

What I hope is that the kind of stat allocation this game provides combines with their itemization and crafting system so that there is no BiS item.
    Yakzan and Xryus like this.
  17. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

I am sure that even if there is no obvious BIS item the theorycrafter will figure out the most optimal setups which will basically be the same thing.
  18. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

Sounds like they are creating some innovative customization choices. It's all very exciting and I want to see it in action especially with some creative ability chips.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Everytime they come up with something like this i feel more that this game aint gonna be for the casual players (which i love).

Also just looking at the mature community Wildstar has already has my hopes for an awesome gaming experience gone up through the roof.

Love this system! And love how it doesn't seem so like other systems of other games (atleast that i know).
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  20. SomebodyDead

SomebodyDead New Cupcake

I think something you guys are missing is that min/maxing IS rpgs. It's a core gameplay mechanic. You can make it less easy, or less relevant, but it will still exist. This won't deter BiS itemization, nor should it, it will however bring attention to the fact that you are the final person to decide what BiS is for your playstyle. BiS is based around damage output, raid readiness, survivability etc, but the more distinct options (rather than just numbers to add to your stats) there are, the less BiS will matter, or be possible to generalize.
    Zilvoran, Zel, 3seed and 8 others like this.