1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Econ Devblog - Circuit Board Crafting

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

So when you top the dps leaderboards the question will inevitably be asked "what are you smokin and where can I get some"? :D
  2. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

Love this idea and would love to see Power Pack or power core slot on your shoulder or back for special abilities. Would love to see a cerebral implant as well for specials.
    Forge Darksteel likes this.
  3. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Hey, Zych! Wow, great first post here. :D Welcome!

I fully agree with everything you said, and this ending paragraph really summed it all up for me. I couldn't have said it better myself!

I love the challenge this presents us with, along with keeping people from becoming overly "elite." I'm excited to have a challenging MMO again and not just one that gives, and gives, and gives you everything you want and makes content yawningly easy. What's the point in that? If you and your Guild/Circle/PUG can work together (which also ties in nicely with the social aspect of gaming everyone was so concerned about) to complete a dungeon or a raid without each having the most optimal of gear (BiS), then that says something. That feels more like a true accomplishment and like a real video game should. :up:

Awesome! Definitely digging those ideas, especially the cerebral implant. To me, not only does that fit in well with the WildStar universe, but it also sounds very Eldan. :)
    Zilvoran and Yakzan like this.
  4. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

I think it will dependent on whether they have diminishing returns and how diminishing they are. At this stage I don't know if we can answer that question.
  5. Dragnog

I have read the article a couple of times and I do not like the implementation of this system.

The idea behind the system I really like, but the implementation I am not really that impressed with.

The concept of power distribution is really great, I really like this idea, the problem is by the end of the article it just felt that this was not important at all. I feel like there is a great deal of untapped potential in this concept. I think this is how you should control what items can be used where rather than locking particular slots or making upgrades item slot specific.

There is also the option of power source degradation over time - if you keep running something at 100% it will degrade quicker. This could make things very interesting; do I run my power supply at max (or even overload it) with the risk of it dying half way through a fight?

There is also the idea of under powering or overloading components which I would have liked to see you explore. It allows for questions like: If I shove this 20 unit power supply in this item will it blow my ultra rare component? Do I have a enough power to run my rare component that gives a special bonus plus also get the amount of stats I need from this item?

I will also be interested to see how these are actually connected to the skin of an object.

All evidence I have points to random stat distribution in any form as feeling like a grind. That may not necessarily be the case, but it will likely feel that way.

Regardless of how you do the system, I am sure that it will be fun. It just felt like you had a chance to do something more with this.
  6. Dragnog

I think that it is meant to simulate the concept of disenchanting mats similar to Enchanting in WoW, except that you have a ready made enchant if you can find a slot to fit it.

Of course it feels even more limited than this because you are stuck with whatever was in the item.
  7. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Hm, could you elaborate a bit on that? I actually felt exactly the opposite lol.

Randomized stats and the locking of certain slots should lead to making it really difficult, if not impossible, to come up with templates that will be posted on the web within weeks, that everyone will follow; practically trivializing, if not eliminating, any thought process for the majority. The fact that no item will be 100% optimal for anyone seems like a great way to ensure the hunt for the 'almost ideal one' never ends. It's a good concept from both the business and the player point of view.

Unless I misunderstood something along the way (English is not my native language;))
    Afrotech, Kataryna and Fate Flyer like this.
  8. Dragnog

By the end of the article I felt - there is this concept of power but it really doesn't matter - you get the largest one you can get always under every circumstance because more power = more stats.

Just because someone says that something is optimal that is not necessarily the case. Don't worry by the end of beta there will already be optimal builds, stats, etc. There will be a cookie cutter ways of playing your character and there is a small but rather vocal part of the community that will do this. Honestly I do not see a problem with this. If people want to limit their creativity on how to play their character, then let them. They have other reasons they play the game and want this taken out of the equation.
    I personally don't feel that the ideas that have been suggested will actually change anything in regards to gear prioritization. What exactly are they trying to stop with these suggestions? It also confuses me because aren't these people that create these sites really making a huge contribution to the community?

"Random Microchips are all taken care of before you get the item. You will never be able to extract a random microchip, because when the item is actually created, it chooses the appropriate Chip from a list."
    So you build around the random stat that you get, it is going to be something that you will likely need or you will just toss the item, so what was the point then of having the random stat? If all of the slots (or majority) are random do you actually have a choice at all? It just creates a gear treadmill where you keep going until you get the "perfect" item. Therefore the amount time you invest in the game means that you win.

"Socket Locking prevents you from modding or extracting a Microchip from a specific socket. This means sometimes if you want that cool Ability Chip, you have to make do with the item and schematic it came with. It also means that you may get an item that is not quite optimal in what stats it has, but you have to make due."
    There will be two things that will happen here, one the ability is so good that you can sacrifice the stats to keep it. These types of abilities are normally unbalancing, because they have to compete with raw stats. The other more likely scenario is that the item gets tossed regardless because stats are just more important.

"An additional element of depth we have is Slot-Specific Microchips. These Microchips are restricted to only be useable for certain item types. For example, if you want a Special Chip that makes you run faster, that chip might only be able to go on boots. If you want an ability that has a chance to poison the target, it would only be useable on Weapons."
    This doesn't seem to be anything different from Enchanting in WoW which has these types of restriction except that you can use the mats for other things. Here you are stuck with what you pull out from the item.

I guess what I was hoping for was more risk versus reward decisions rather than playing the loot slot machine.
    Forge Darksteel likes this.
  9. Forge Darksteel

Forge Darksteel Cupcake

I think we need a lot more information on the subject to come up with a serious argument one way or the other. Initially, it looks like it could be great (e.g. SWTOR in beta before they got scared and took it away), or terrible.
    Personally, I feel like gamers naturally gravitate towards min/maxing, it helps smooth out the skill curve and allows for you to not necessarily have the best gaming skills to be productive in an environment. If we're talking about a game which wants to be challenging, you need to be able to maximize your stats to account for players who aren't the greatest. If we're building a community, there will be these kinds of players and they need to be shepherded into the fold, not ostracized for having "less than ideal gear." I really hope that this crafting system lends itself to that!
    Zilvoran likes this.
  10. Alverad

It does, but the very fact that certain slots are locked, should often lead to you picking something that doesn't have most power, rather your choice being based on what that locked slot represents.

They are contributing without a doubt, that said, people are like sheep. Providing in game incentives to get a little more creative then just Googling 'what is the best spec/action set/microchip' can only mean good things :)
    I do not think they are trying to stop anything. There will always be people that will dive into theory crafting and share their observations and calculations with others, nothing wrong with that at all; that said, making sure there are a whole more variations to different aspects of gearing simply encourages people to do at least part of the research ingame, themselves, resulting in being actively engaged beyond your average pew,pew time, or whatever it is that you like doing the most. Showing people that there may be a benefit of testing stuff on yourself, instead of blindly following an online bible of some sort. You can do it if you want, but is it really optimal... ? ;)

Answer to why they are there, is in my first sentence. And yes, it creates a gear treadmill, that is what all RPGs are, mmo or not. And being an online game, your life span depends on people having a reason to log in, more then one :p. It's the very essence of the genre.

And right here, you have presented yourself with the very choices they are talking about. The way I understand it, it is exactly what the intention is. Seeing how you can swap between action sets, gear sets, creating a fairly complex, multilayered approach to various situations and gameplay styles. You get to make the choices, you get to decide what is optimal for you, for a particular situation.

I would imagine you do not toss away gear with specia abilities on it, rather make it fit as best as possible with the rest of your equipment, and keep it for when that particular ability might come in handy. Example - a 5men, running it with friends, your tank keeps dying at the same point, you do not have a battle rez. You do have a piece of gear, with suboptimal stats, that has it. You swap, it gets you through whatever you were struggling with, you swap back. At least, that's how I see it - options, options, options and more options :D
  11. Dragnog

This is exactly why we totally disagree on this. I don't think that it is and should be and just because certain developers have desperately tried to turn Role Playing Games into this, including table top games (4th Edition D&D is a perfect example of this), it does not change the fact that this should not be the essence of a Role Playing Game in my opinion at least. Don't worry I will go get out my grinding wheel macros again...
  12. Alverad

Lol, it's good we have different opinions, the world would be rather boring if everyone agreed on everything :).
    Afrotech and Kataryna like this.
  13. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think a preview gives the system justice, especially considering that it ties to other systems we don't know about. I think it'll make more sense of what Carbine is after when we get our hands on it.
    Afrotech and Kataryna like this.
  14. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

I feel like these concerns assume that each of these features are inherent to every piece of gear, but that may not actually be the case.
    Afrotech likes this.
  15. Draegan

Draegan Cupcake

I love this system.

First it appears your base stats for the armor will have random stats on it like diablo.
    Second you can then put in chips that give you "enchant" like effects. Procs, passives etc.
    Third we'll have slot items.
    Fourth, it seems like we'll have some kind of slot that can "level up" with you? Just a guess though.

What else can you ask for?

Here's the biggest plus to the system. Every time you raid or clear a dungeon, you always have something to look forward too. Sometimes you get to the point in a raid where you have all the gear you want and you just need that one last piece from one boss that never dropped.

Now even if you have a good kit, there is always that chance that the new piece of gear will have even a better "roll" on it. Gives you something to look forward too.

You'll have min/maxing for sure, and you'll have to go to an EJ-like site. But it's just going to be harder to do because you have to deal with different offsets with random mods.

In the end you have the most entertaining part of the Diablo series integrated into loot for a MMORPG. Sounds like fun.
    Zilvoran and Afrotech like this.
  16. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

I'm wondering if you can mod a weapon to "level up" with you as you go, like fullmod gear in TOR. I doubt it; it's very difficult to balance out, but I really did enjoy weaving a story around my Consular keeping her original saber throughout her journey.
    Zilvoran, Alverad and Forge Darksteel like this.
  17. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

Seems like 'No' to me, here's the quote...

So, a low level item will always be weaker than a higher level item, even if you put super advanced microchips into it.
  18. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Well, unless it's a raid drop and there are 6-7 other people waiting for it to drop as well. Hopefully it's not totally randomized like the stuff was from Diablo, otherwise there's going to be similar items with vastly different stat allocations to the point of being OP and/or basically useless. In my opinion, nothing would suck more than downing a boss, getting a piece of loot to drop you wanted but it was piss poor for stats and you couldn't use it.

The system has the chance to be good, but I feel like we're missing a few key pieces of info to make a final judgement on it.

Exactly, I look at it as similar to WoW gems, and being able to only use certain higher level gems in in level appropriate gear. The way I understood it was the higher level the gear the larger the power rating, the better the inputs you can have. So if a piece of lower level gear has a max power level of 20, you can't put a power level 50 microchip into it because the piece of gear couldn't "run" it.
  19. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Makes sense. And the desire to use "my father's sword" until endgame likely can be covered with the wardrobe system. You'll probably get some weird looks for reskinning your high level Sword Of Awesome with a lv1 newbie blade, though.
  20. Rawhide

Rawhide Cupcake

I wonder if they'll incorporate an appearance chip or a particle effect chip?

(Be gentle with me; first post...)
    Zilvoran, Alverad and Afrotech like this.