1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

'Ello Chaps! New guy, coming through!

Discussion in 'Personal Introductions' started by Bolt, May 21, 2013.

1. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

Hey guys,

I'm Bolt!

I've finally decided to make the plunge, get my hands dirty, and start becoming active in the WildStar community. It took me awhile, I'll admit. I've had my mmo heart broken before, and I'm much more cautious now before I get too excited for a game. I was one of the guys that spent a lot of time on guild and swtor forums, and we know how that end for most, sadly.

The funny thing is that when I first saw the preview for WildStar back a few E3's or PAX's (or w/e it was), I wasn't that impressed. Thats because I knew nothing about the game. After having followed it for a bit, I've gotten the feeling there is a chance that the developers know what they are doing with this game. When hearing about new features my response is typically, "Thats what MMO should have been doing the whole time!" or something to that effect. Haha.

So here I am. As for a little more about me specifically, I've been playing mmo's for over a decade. Started with being a noob in EQ, played some AO, and finally got my mmo chops in WoW. I jumped on the SWTOR bandwagon, but after that went south I've probably played every game available at some point. Tired of being a nomad, I started playing WoW again with the release of MoP and raided pretty heavily for the last 9 months. I've now started a guild with some of my best friends, and couldn't be happier. We've been messing around with PvP in SWTOR to see how far the game has come, and playing a bit of SMITE.

If you read of all of that, thanks!
  2. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

Hi and welcome :D
  3. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

Thanks!, and nice avatar. Gave me a laugh.:roflamo:
    Revon likes this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Welcome to the WSC, hope you enjoy it in here as much as i do :D

Chosen a faction yet? May i suggest the Dominion for you? They are the best! No matter what those horny bunny fan-boys say :sneaky:
  5. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Official Random Kat Welcome Welcome! :D Enjoy your stay here at WSC! :)
  6. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

Thanks! Actually, a few of my friends and I are talking it over currently. Some of them are trying to hold out until the last reveals, but I don't know how you beat the mechari. Furry bunny people don't have anything on robot beards. I'm pretty sure we are going Dominion. :up:

Thanks. And another cat avatar! People must really love cats around here haha. Oh wait, I'm on the internet. Everyone knows that cats are the official mascot of internet communities everywhere. :D
  7. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Eh, i've been Kat for the past 10 years....
  8. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

Hey, maybe you're the one that set the trend then.;)
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

well, also, the cat in my pic was actually mine - my Dusty cat. had to give him away last year :down: so having him here beside me on my pic is all i can see of him :(
  10. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

You had to give her away?! Thats tragic, I'm sorry to hear that. :cry: I used to play in a band, and tour for long periods of time (month+). I had 2 cats at the time, and left them with my parents. They were really old, and their health declined VERY quickly when I was gone. They had to put them down while I was gone, but my parents didn't say anything to me. When I cam home they were just...gone, so I feel you.

Either way, that cat is a handsome fellow. :)

Edit: words
  11. printerpaper

printerpaper Cupcake

12. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

Yeah, absolutely! Although, I will admit my experience was probably much different that yours. It was my first non-runescape experience, so it was my first of many things in mmos. That's probably why I remember it so fondly, even though I spend most of my time killing random things, and getting lost in places I shouldn't be. I was on one of the cushy blue servers just because I didn't know any better. Probably was for my own good, haha. I'm curious what was so awesome about the red server pvp, compared to what is offered in current mmo's. Was it more like the Darkfall, Mortal Online type world pvp? Those were pretty brutal!
  13. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

yea, he was the most awesome cat ever! he could jump from 5+ feet away (from the bed to where i was sitting in my computer chair) and land on my shoulder without using his claws :D best thing though - we had a fishing pole we tied a catnip mouse to, and we'd go 'cat-fishing'. he bat at it, and always miss the mouse. after watching him for a bit, we realized - he was going after the LINE not the mouse! he'd eventually catch the line and drag it down to the mouse - smartest cat ever!

Had to give him away because we moved - our landlords(my parents) don't allow pets (and i'm very upset at my parents for it too!)
  14. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

See, at least your cat was skilled. Both of mine were weird, goofy, and uncoordinated. It was entertaining though. There only skill was jumping up on tables/counters they shouldn't be on, sliding off, and crashing. Well, that and knocking things off shelves in the middle of the night. And your parents didn't make an exception for you! Lame! haha
  15. printerpaper

printerpaper Cupcake

Well, short answer is I believe the FFA PvP-loot nature of Rallos Zek only added to the "reality" of EQ.

My long winded response is that the PvP brought out a lot of "emergent gameplay" (to use an mmo buzzword) that really raised the options available, with regard to gameplay. Guild wars were common when major Raids were in dispute, and it was risky business, unlike say WoW, because those guilds were under the very real threat of losing rare and valuable items every time they died in such wars. Camp checks were also unheard of on RZ, because we had to manage zones, as players, in a different way. The threat of being killed while camping a zone, meant that there was a more cooperative nature between the "honest" players, and often, the zones would erupt into small conflicts in which one side would fight for control. Again, the danger of losing items was ever present, and as such, the players were loathe to enter into such conflicts without good cause.

Other things in EQ, which might seem ancillary to a Blue player, were very important on RZ. Inspecting someone was socially unacceptable, because it was often a prelude to a gank/theft. People would fight over such a small action. Also, /Anonymous was a requirement on RZ, because it hid your zone and info, as some players might be hunting you for whatever reason. Lastly, and most impressive imo, was the Faction system. Blue servers likely saw it as a minor inconvenience for choosing a stronger class/race, but on RZ, your Faction standing directly related to how guards and other npcs would react toward PvP in their presence. Someone who wasn't viewed well by a particular faction couldn't expect the guards to protect them from PvP. In fact, if someone with poor faction attacked back, the guards would come to the defense of the aggressor, simply due to the better standing. Being able to improve/damage those standings thru quests, and hunting specific mobs added an additional level of depth to the "meta-game". I was proud I was viewed Amiably by a variety of factions, because I had worked to improve my standing to raise my level of safe zones around the world. I never hunted Frogloks with my Human, because it allowed me to hunt Ogres, Trolls, and Darkelves within the depths of Guk. ;)

These kinds of things were what made the experience so fantastic, and to my surprise, the painful penalties for dying in PvP actually created to a very strong presence of player police, black listing, and anti-pk hunts. The place where Darkfall/Mortal Online fail in this regard, is the lack of PvE content. I love the sandbox nature of those games, but they ultimately fall into a general kos/gank attitude between players, because of the lack of things to do outside of PvP/GvG. EQ was a full featured PvE game, so when they added a PvP server, players were looking to do more than just kill each other.
  16. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

Glad to have you here with us, Bolt! Welcome aboard!
  17. Nyxis

Nyxis Cupcake-About-Town

Welcome to the forums, Bolt.

Hit me up on Smite sometime.

Also, what was it like working with Miley Cyrus? http://goo.gl/VAFHm
  18. Caimie

Caimie Cupcake-About-Town

Welcome aboard!
  19. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Welcome to WSC! :) I hope you enjoy your time here.
  20. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

Thank you, good sir!
    Thank you as well. If you are serious about smite, I'll add you next time I'm on. Do you go by Nyxis on Smite as well?

What's funny is I've never even seen that movie.:cool:

Thanks guys!

I think the key thing you mentioned that struck a chord was about pve providing a balanced world that promotes more than just a KOS/gank attitude. I played darkfall/MO a bit, looked up info, and tried to get into them, but thats all those games were to me. In MO, cities felt more like empty tech demos minus the few random npcs, and when I did wonder into a cave it was usually just empty. Every player I met was a ganker, and if you did join up with a guild there was nothing else to do but to gank others (in my experience at least).

I like the idea of developing a social structure that involves respect and honor. Not because the game forces you you too, but you need to work together to by, and the risk is too great. That I think only works is there are non-pvp related goals in a game. I can understand why you enjoyed it so much. I can see that appeal.

That said, I don't know if I'm the type of player that could handle losing all my items anymore. I understand the risk is necessary to create that environment, but I can't imagine losing all the gear I worked so hard to get. I'm sure if I was there I would understand.

I did watch that video you posted in the other thread though, and I do agree. I think some of the features nowadays take away some of the MM out of MMORPG. Games shouldn't give free epic gear from easy content. I don't think there should be cross server anything. I think you should have to make your own groups for stuff, and make friends/talk to people. Guild should mean something. Unfortunately, I'm afraid many of those features are standard now.

I am curious though , what intrigued you about WS? I haven't seen much about any significant world pvp with item looting, or the sort.