1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Engineer 2 Bot Limit

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Afropenguinn, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Afropenguinn

Afropenguinn New Cupcake

Why do you think the Engineer has a 2 bot limit on it (as in only two bots can be out at once)? Avoiding clutter? I can't see it being a balance issue because they should be on par with other skills. Just curious.
  2. Spracket

Spracket Cupcake-About-Town

As much as I would like to litter my LAS with bots, I could easily see that becoming easy-mode for the engineer. That's four sustained and automated sources of damage. And aside from the damage, it's a much bigger problem for the enemy to deal with. Even though each individual ability is balanced to be similar in power to other abilities, the downside to the bots is that they can be killed; that's when their cooldown kicks in. With other abilities, you use them once and they go straight to their cooldowns, but with the bots, they need to be killed in order for their downside to kick in. Taking out one or two bots seems somewhat managable, but four bots would just be too much junk for your target to wade through. More bots means more overall up-time for the engineer's abilities, which means you're avoiding much more cooldown time. Clutter could also be an issue. I mean, 5 engineers all sporting 4 bots each would be a lot of nonsense going on in the battlefield. Plus, that's just more stuff to put into your UI.
  3. eharper256

eharper256 Cupcake-About-Town

Also, 4 bots is not really going to help you in playstyle. You're not some kind of uber-hybrid, you're going to want to focus on the Tanking or the DPS whilst in a party for the most part.

I also reckon there could be an RP reason there. They are wirelessly controlled by the Computer in your Engi's suit? I really don't see them being AI's themselves or fully autonomous considering how easy they die and sacrifice themselves.
  4. achesoma

achesoma Cupcake

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's more of a AI, pathing, and animation/clipping issue than a balancing one. From watching streams, bots seems seem to have a lot of these problems right now and limiting it to 2 right now makes it much simpler. I don't see how it's a balancing issue seeing as an engineer would have to give up half their ability slots to have 4 bots out which is a huge sacrifice imo.
  5. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

Its probably so you have to focus your LAS on assault, support, or utility with a little dab of another instead of being a perfect hybrid.
  6. Afropenguinn

Afropenguinn New Cupcake

According to Carbine the bots do have their own AIs, and they are housed within a garage somewhere. When they are called in they teleport themselves over to you, at least, according to the Wildstar comic ;)
  7. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

With the limit in mind, it could be possible that as the game progresses and we move away from launch date and start seeing more releases that elder game engineers might eventually get an ability that lets them have an extra bot or two out?