Enough dungeons in wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jdielas, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Amayasu

Amayasu Cupcake

Why is this so singular? Why can't both be true; lots of different instances while levelling (no need to grind them; there's variation) and stuff to do at end game. It takes time and effort to make a dungeon, granted. But there's reuse there.

FFXIV has this; LOTS of instances. I hit 50 and still hadn't even stepped into some of them. So, at end game, I actually have instances i've yet to experience. If it's all about loot for you, then grats, 4 is plenty, and in many ways optimal.

4-6 is too few. This bothers me, so holding out to see what Adventures bring.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  2. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, it really comes down to how they handle open world stuff as well. If you can prevent players from being instanced during levelling, it means more players are in the open world. This is good for all things in the game. Instances are ways for you and your friends to break off and do something private, and to give a set challenge when you enter them.

If you provide less dungeons, players will go towards open world. They do need to make sure the open world content isn't just questing though, that there are interesting and unique experiences and rewards for doing various things. For instance if open world PVP gave a significant boost to your levelling, or downing open world bosses at level.

It comes down to how they handle it really, but there isn't an inherent need for instanced play during levelling (at launch). I'd agree that eventually you want more levelling content to be put in as players make alts and such, but initially they should work on building socialization through a massively multiplayer area, instead of a 5 man group.
  3. CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem Carbine Studios

There's one other type of instanced content that hasn't been mentioned. We have some smaller instances that scale from 1-5 people called (at the moment) Shiphands. These experiences are meant to be quicker than your average dungeon, anywhere from 15-45 minutes, and take you elsewhere for a while. The dangers of space are many...

While we don't have a ton of these, we do try to have one in each level band to allow for a departure from normal questing if you don't have the time to do a full dungeon.
    Aresk, Malisent, Crazyblade and 16 others like this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

And finaly she showed herself in here aswell :up: Welcome to the WSC family!!! :D Hope we'll see you more often, and hope you enjoy it in here as much as I do ;) (Mayby do a short introduction thread like Anlath did?)

On Topic:
    And thanks for the info about ''shiphands'', but how can we see the ''difficulty'' of these in comparison to the more ''normal'' dungeons?
    Theya re faster...oke, but are they harder? And mayby you can say something about the rewards? Being greater or lesser then those of the ''normal'' dungeons?

......oke....i'm gonna blame you for making me giggle in excitement, like a little chua, once again :oops:
    Kash, Kataryna and Kayelia like this.
  5. CRB_Caydiem

Rewards are something we still have to work through, but they won't be on the same level as dungeon rewards (those will likely be better). They're not harder, either -- I try not to use the word "casual" too often due to all its implications, but it'd be closer to a casual experience. That doesn't mean there won't be challenges involved, of course. ;)
    Kash, Isgu, Extatica and 2 others like this.
  6. CRB_J-Tal

CRB_J-Tal Carbine Studios

Kash, Isarii, Infamouz and 5 others like this.
  7. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

Broken link, nub.

Edit: mispelled nub

Edit: misspelled misspelled
    Rai, Kash, Sonntam and 4 others like this.
  8. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Are these different than "adventures"? because in earlier videos and interviews the adventures are described as a longer, more story-driven instance for 2-3 players. They were compared to wow scenarios but said to be 2+ hours and also "challenging".
    So are "adventures" now called "shiphands"?

Edit - I already jumped on J-T recently, so I wont dogpile on Chan's comment... ;)
  9. Kayelia

Kayelia Cupcake

I see. Thank you for the info. I hope there is more to come.

._.

No, different things.

Edit: Well, I get to ninja a dev at least. That's gotta be worth some exp.
  10. CRB_Caydiem

Adventures are completely different from Shiphands and were mentioned earlier in the thread by J-Tal. Shiphands are a whole other kettle of fish, and as mentioned earlier, much shorter. ;)

Some are basically extended quests, some are a little more involved with a bit of randomized content to keep things fresh. All are repeatable.
    Kash, Sonntam, Infamouz and 3 others like this.
  11. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Ok cool I was just making sure, thanks for clearing that up.
  12. Doomhaus

Doomhaus New Cupcake

So placing them in order based om length and rewards, does this sound correct?

Shiphands
    Dungeons
    Adventures
    Raids

Does this sound correct? Or would Adventures and Dungeons be swapped?
  13. CRB_J-Tal

CRB_J-Tal Carbine Studios

Shiphands
    Adventures - Dungeons (these are about the same with Dungeons being slightly better)
    Veterans
    Raids
    Tribe and Ianpact like this.
  14. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Do we know what Veterans are? like hardmode dungeons?
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

ya man, that's just their name for "heroics", they have talked about heroic versions of dungeons for ages now.
  16. Arawulf

Arawulf Owner of WildStarFans.net

Where might housing Expeditions fit on this scale?
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

This is gonna be a bit of a guess, but looking at things they would probably be put like this:

Housing Expeditions
    Shiphands
    Adventures - Dungeons (these are about the same with Dungeons being slightly better)
    Veterans
    Raids
  18. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Now I'm really interested in what adventures are in comparison to dungeons
  19. Meurik

Meurik New Cupcake

Bottomline is:

None of us in this thread, or this forum (besides the devs that is), know exactly how many dungeons, raids, adventures etc are in the game. People are making assumptions both high and low, without having any first-hand experience of the game. I tend to prefer to keep a "wait and see" attitude to most new MMOs. Far too often, i've gotten my hopes up for a given MMO, only to have those hopes destroyed post-launch. That being said, I like what i've been seeing so far from the Wildstar devs.

But regardless of the amount of instanced group PVE content, I hope they go for "quality over quantity". It's easy to make 20 cookie-cutter dungeons with static mechanics, which you end up getting bored from doing 1 run each. Far more interesting to have 5 or 10 dungeons, each with varying mechanics, varying "boss pools" (where we get different bosses every week/run).

My only wish for Wildstar PVE, is to have content for all types of players, and all types of groups (both solo, small and large). I'd like for solo players, as well as small group players to have an equal shot at getting the "phat lootz" that large groups get access to. Best gear, should not be determined by which content requires the most players. All things being equal, if the challenge is balanced equally, the rewards should be equal "per person".
    Kayelia likes this.
  20. Torq Wrench

Torq Wrench New Cupcake

It seems so far that Adventures are almost similar to Dungeons, of course we won't know for sure till an official announcement. But I am curious, Will Adventures be able to turn into Veteran Mode like Dungeons for end game? I personally hope so as that's my favorite content to do with friends. I'm kind of in the same boat that 4-6 dungeons doesn't seems like a whole lot, at least on paper.

However, on the flip-side, it appears Dungeons are quite lengthy! So maybe that will not matter as long as they stay interesting after multiple play-throughs. Which, I think shouldn't be a problem considering how awesome the combat looks!