1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

EQNext Landmark (Video to get you motivated!) Be a trailblazer!

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Konoko, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

I said Carbine, not NCSoft.

I understand NCSoft is the publisher, but carbine still has some say in things. I highly doubt we will see a "paid beta" for Wildstar.
  2. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

3. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

I'm actually in a Alpha Beta of another game right now and I'm really liking it. I played it yesterday for 4 hours straight and it was a blast !! :)
    Mellkor likes this.
  4. WildFly

WildFly Cupcake

I don't think WildStar will be able to complete with EQN Landmark. This is not a flame thread or anything like that. I'm just stating what I see coming.

They are still mucking around in beta's trying to fix issues and EQN Landmark will be out in Feb and will also have combat on top of building, exploring, and some parts of their emergent AI (via StoryBricks). Also it will be a free game.

I think WildStar needs to be very careful right now as they have spent so long trying to get this game out I feel they may be missing their chance to really get the audience they want.

I know that I'll probably play EQN Landmark and WildStar but will only remain in one. I just need to test them both out before I decide which one I'll stick with.
  5. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

Are there mobs in this? Or just a bunch of building garbage?

Minecraft on steroids ?
  6. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Gotta wholeheartedly disagree on this one. Landmark and W* are almost completely different genre of games. They will attract completely different audiences, so most likely won't really compete with each other. Landmark is a Sandbox with its main focus on building things. It will supposedly have some combat and quests but that will be secondary compared to the world building. W* is the traditional MMO with its focus on combat and community. In truth, its hard to say anything about Landmark because about all we have seen of it so far is floaty people building castles and such.

EQN (sans the Landamrk) and W* are more likely to be competitors and thus worth comparing. Which will be interesting as they seem to be going in opposite directions on a lot of choices, but the OP was specifically talking Landmark , so I'll leave EQN for another thread.
    Kataryna likes this.
  7. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

Ok RavenWind, thanks for info !
  8. Nadili

Nadili New Cupcake

I am a huge fan of the Everquest franchise going back to 99 am looking forward to EQN but couldn't be fussed to even look at Landmark. The other thing to consider is it's SoE and love them or hate them there are players who won't touch another product from a company that is famous for NGE.
  9. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

Wildfly, I think you need to head over to the Gaming Arena forum and join one of Konoko's various threads concerning EQNext and EQLandmark.

http://www.wildstar-central.com/ind...storybricks-beefs-up-eqnext.7062/#post-179637

There's a link to one such thread about Storybricks.

And personally, I'm not sure that the EQNext audience contains the people that Wildstar "wants". They are vastly different games.

Have a nice day.
    Kataryna likes this.
  10. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

1. EverQuest Next is still in the early stages of development and
    2. as it was already mentioned by RavenWind "Landmark and WildStar are almost completely different genre of games"
  11. Enitzu

Enitzu New Cupcake

I think you are quite mistaken on all of this post.

Landmark does start it's ALPHA in Feb. Which means unless you want to spend $100 on a sup'd up Minecraft then you more then likely won't be playing it for at least 6 months if you are lucky to get a beta invite.

As others have said these 2 games are very different and in no way will compete with each other. W* would win this hands down without a fight. When EQNext itself does drop then some people (I know I will) will check it out. It's going to be free to play so not really a reason not to. But W* will still probably be my main game unless SoE can really pull it off. I miss the very old days of EQ1 but it's nostalgia because I don't think they will ever get back to that.
    Kataryna and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  12. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

How do I get Alpha access?
    To get Alpha access, you can purchase the Trailblazer or Explorer Founder's Pack!

When does the Alpha start?
    Alpha starts on or before February 28, 2014.

There are two ways to gain access to the Landmark Beta:
    • Purchase one of our Founder's Packs. A Founder’s Pack purchase gives you unlimited access to the Landmark Closed Beta.
    • Acquire a Time-Limited Closed Beta Key.
    When does the Closed Beta start?
    Closed Beta will begin on or before March 31, 2014.

Source link: http://www.eqnextfans.com/news/26339-everquest-landmark-alpha-beta-dates-founder-pack

(I got a Buddy that is a big Minecrafter so we are keeping tabs on this.)
  13. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

Isn't Wildstar set to actually release spring of 2014? So despite them being different games they also have that against them really. Wildstar will be out and playable while they're still in beta.

I have to say that while I like decorating houses I've never really been one for creation one from the ground up. I think it's a cool concept yes, but I would rather take a pre-build structure and deck it out to make it look cool and interesting. More like Wildstars housing system, or Eq2, or Rift. I don't have a ton of interest in Landmark, though I am paying attention to its big brother, EQN; especially if there are Iksar. :)
    WildFly likes this.
  14. WildFly

WildFly Cupcake

Actually some of your guys are correct that EQNext Landmark is a different type of game than wildstar but EQNext is not. However that will not be out for sometime.

I just don't see how anyone can pass up the opportunity to be in a game that will eventually let you create NPC's, play around with the AI and build your own castle or Inn or house.. There are a lot of options in EQNext Landmark. Also it was announced yesterday I think that Landmark will have combat (which we already knew) and it will be coming very soon after alpha starts (which we didn't know).

I will be buying my trailblazer pack friday so I'll have alpha access. I'll let you guys know what I think, oh wait.. i think Alpha is under NDA. I know that no NDA exists for EQN Landmark other than the alpha phase. So once I'm in closed beta I can put up videos on my youtube site.

I've seen Koni's posts on EQN and I'm a member of EQNexus as well and they have great information there.

I think EQNext will be the biggest MMO since WoW.

EQN Landmark will just be a blast. They are also going to be adding monsters, and PvP eventually. The world is supposed to be absolutely huge. It also has underground caverns you can discover. Which is where I want to build my secret lair. xD
    Mellkor likes this.
  15. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

The thing is: I prefer to consume content, rather than to create it. Creating castles sounds more like work to me rather than entertainment. I prefer theme parks to sandboxes. And I am not alone in this, so I doubt I will even try this game out.
    Nayukhuut`Chet and RavenWind like this.
  16. WildFly

WildFly Cupcake

Yes like I said EQN Landmark is a complete different game than WildStar so I was wrong to say it could really effect WildStar's sub numbers. I think it will have some effect but when EQNext comes out WildStar, IMO, could see a huge hit in subs if WildStar turns out to not be as great as people here want it to be.

One thing that does bother me is the Sub idea. I mean EQNext is free. So is Landmark. I know a lot of people really hate free games but I feel it's just the way MMO's are going. Good or Bad? I don't even want to get into that discussion too much. I can say that I played Tera when it was 15/month and I played the free version. Didn't really see a difference in updates. Game was pretty much the same. Same for Rift. I hated free to play games initially because they were limiting content. You had to pay to get everything like SWTOR (a huge fail of a game IMO). However, I don't think this will be the case with EQNext or Landmark. They are really trying to offer a good game with a huge amount of options flexibility and, of course, things you can purchase to help them recoup their money. People were yelling about the trailblazer pack being a hundred bucks? No one is forcing you to buy them. However there are aspects in those packs that could be considered P2W if you cannot get them naturally in game (which at this point I don't know if you can). Still, you have the 19.99 or 59.99 or 99.99 options for the founders pack. As long as you play the game 6.6 months you would recoup any of those fees. (Ie. 6.6 months at 15dollars/month = 99 dollars).

I know I'll open a can of worms with the F2P vs P2P but I was not trying to.

We'll see beginning of next year how all this pans out. In the meantime I'm already putting together buildings in Illustrator. :) Just sample designs for my Inn I want to construct.
  17. Voorhees

Voorhees Cupcake

Wildfly,

It never ceases to amaze me with people that put posts like this.... I guess I have no understanding of the reasoning behind this post? You start with EQN Landmark, which is minecraft on steroids with fantastic visuals in comparison, but nothing in the realm of a game like Wildstar. Then you move onto stating that EQN will have a huge hit on Wildstar subs...... Well that is all well and good, but this is a Wildstar fan site and this post will not lead to a meaningful discussion at all.

Also, EQN is no where close to being finished. Hell its hardly started in the grand scheme of things. This is coming from someone that has followed it since it started development. I am not saying that it will not be a great game by any means, but I do strongly believe that even within the MMO genre EQN and Wildstar will be VASTLY different.

So, in the end, this is a post that should just be deleted.
  18. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Well, maybe not deleted, just moved to the appropriate subforum. :)
  19. Voorhees

Voorhees Cupcake

^
    Ok... agreed :up:
  20. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

You will find, that mmorpgs go back to a more freeform sandbox root.

Just because the post does not point the spotlight at Wildstar, does not mean you cannot have a meaningful discussion about it.
    WildFly likes this.