1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

EQNext Landmark (Video to get you motivated!) Be a trailblazer!

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Konoko, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

I have zero interest in playing either Landmark or EQN. I played EQ for over 5 years. No focus on raiding content, and having to deal with the F2P community are probably my two least favorite features that any game could have. In fact the only thing that would be worst would be no Pvp.

http://www.eqnextfans.com/forums/everquest-next/general-discussion/41174-no-raiding-confirmed

This is just a blatant attempt at getting all the kids that love games like minecraft and moba's into a niche game being designed for them. Truly awful what is happening to the EQ franchise. Sony literally burns every game they control into the ground.
  2. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

There is no instanced raiding, But he does not rule out the possibility of open world raiding.

Personally, I love the world bosses in games more than the instanced raiding.
  3. Avenged

Combat interests me even less. As a non-minecraft fan as well, I can literally say there is nothing EQN is offering me as a gamer outside of if being in the EQ universe.
  4. Mellkor

I recommend cautious optimism..

I find that very weird considering that from what we know of EQN, it takes from the same vine as wildstar.

Telegraphs, Limited action set, Action combat.

Difference being, You can smash through a wall with your mace in EQN.
  5. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

Quick tip: He is comparing Landmark with WildStar...
  6. Voorhees

Voorhees Cupcake

This has nothing to do with pointing a spotlight on Wildstar or not. The post on this forum spot won't promote a good discussion.

He points out that while Wildstar is "mucking around in beta's trying to fix issues and EQN Landmark will be out in Feb and will also have combat on top of building, exploring, and some parts of their emergent AI (via StoryBricks). Also it will be a free game."

Wildstar and EQN Landmark have very little in common and the "mucking around in beta's trying to fix issues" is just an asinine statement. Of course they are having betas to fix things. How did releasing a product early with massive issues work out for SWTOR???

Again, say what you will, this post is not beneficial in this forum and should be either moved or deleted.

Also, I will most likely continue to follow EQN closely considering I have been signed up for the betas and what not since they were posted. I think it will be a great game for the audience they are going for.
  7. Mellkor

Alright.
    I would wager that there is a greater, (possibly infinite) more content in EQN:L Than wildstar.
    WildFly likes this.
  8. Avenged

No that was his starter. He quickly moved the debate to EQN. Bait and switch. "Wildstar is in trouble because Landmark has an alpha that you can pay into in february" Then he makes the argument about EQN instead.
  9. Wildebeest

Wildebeest Cupcake

As many have said, EQN is nowhere near the development stages as W*, and on top of that, W* doesn't want casuals, which is all I see playing EQN in the future tbh...
  10. Mellkor

Right, and this is a genuine and accurate argument.

:) Statements like this make me smile, Swtor didn't release early it released as intended. The whole game was a money grab on wow, bugs that only %5 of the player place will encounter is well within acceptable for these people.

Saying the wildstar is messing around is pretty accurate, they have an internal build that is tested by professionals then its shipped off to the plebs to test and see if they like it while concurrently running statistics on player habits.

Of course they could of shipped before, with the old crafting system and such and they would pretty much be feature complete, but for some reason they want to cram more stuff into pre-launch instead of patches.

Its a discussion. It doesn't have to be beneficial it just has to be meaningful.
  11. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> Reading the turn conversation took in the "WS Missed Opportunity Thread". I've decided to merge these threads as the EQN:L content is far more appropriate in here :). </Mod Face>
  12. Avenged

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/08/everquest-next-will-eschew-the-traditional-holy-trinity-of-mmos/

No comparison in combat. Similarities yes, but No holy trinity. I see a similar crowd being attracted to this game, as the crowd in GW2. I can not speak for everyone, but you hear it time, after time, after time in forums. Not having the holy trinity in GW2 was something people thought was cool at first, that turned into a lack of depth in encounter design. It is a bad approach for bringing in traditional mmo players. It will be great for targeting a new audience of players that like playing console style action games though. If EQN can pull it off, Bravo. Seriously but it has enough strikes for me that it wont happen for me. In descending order.

1. F2p communities are vial - Generally speaking
    2. No confirmed raids.
    3. No holy trinity - I tank in every game I play
  13. Avenged

WoW is not the biggest MMO. It is the largest sub based MMO in America. Runescape would be your target as a F2P which has over 200 million accounts. You will never be able to compare a F2P game to a sub based one because accounts are always active in F2P games unless banned. Gw2 was lauded as the WoW killer as well. It failed miserably due to the lack of content that comes from a non-subscription model, and the lack of depth in combat from no holy trinity. Combine it with no confirmed endgame and you have three features that EQN share with Gw2. EQN is banking on the next generation of gamers which will get them users, but it is not going to compare to WoW or W* because they are focused at entirely different audiences.
  14. Mellkor

Ok. let me just hold my initial argument for a moment because you bring up some other points which i would like to discuss.

I don't believe this is accurate. people can be terrible in p2p games too. If you look at world of Warcraft, that must host the most horrible individuals in the mmo gaming scene.

Imo, its the size of the populaces that dictates how often you will interact with unsavory types, Its just more noticeable win f2p games because they generally have a really high population due to the low entry requirement.

Alright. I can respect that you don't like the idea of no instanced raiding. but like in my previous argument the door is wide open for world bosses and such that open world raiding can occur.

Like you, i love to tank. i try to Create at least 1 tank character for every game i play.
    But you know what i don't like about tank arch types in the holy trinity? that s&b characters a funneled into low damage-High mitigation characters. Maybe i have just played to many mmorps but yearn for s&b character that can push dps as well as having defense when needed.

I'm hoping EQN can do that for me, A sword and board character that can smash dudes up. i wana run in there, stab one guy with my sword then decapitate another with my shield. but at the same time shield slam and block to control mob flow.

Ok, so:
    "Combat" is very broad term. you are talking about 1 facet of the combat system. But if you look at it from another perspective say PvP they will behave in a similar manor. Telegraph active combat with cool downs and buffs.

Now, to address you holy trinity concern, the only issue there is the control of aggro. if you lost aggro or was otherwise impaired the system would behave in the same way as EQN.

what i guess i'm trying to say is, the combat system is almost identical it just has different implementations and execution.

I'm a trinity fan, But i'm open to other options and i don't think gw2 did it particularly well.
    If EQN can find a way to operate a non trinity system successfully, good. then again if they cant it cost my nothing to try it.
  15. Mellkor

Just a quick reality check,

No p2p theme park mmo in the western world has really succeed either (maintaining 750k+ subs, and certainly nothing over 1mil), odds are carbine will "fail" using the themepark formula also.

At least what they are trying to do with the Everquest franchise now is revolutionary. Even if it is a gamble.
  16. Avenged

So I think you are kind of missing the point. I am not saying that these things are terrible. I am telling you they are things that I do not like. We could argue all day about the merits of each system, but it would not turn into a positive discussion because there are different philosophies and approaches that we have to gaming. One of the biggest issue's that I have with communities now a days is that they come into a game, and go this looks cool. Now lets make it into the game that I want to play. In order for me to enjoy EQN, which is a franchise that I absolutely love, I would need them to provide difficult attuned large scale raids, a real trinity system with healers, dps, tanks, with the addition of the thing that I miss most in EQ which is the pure CC class, and I would want it behind a paywall. Or someone coming into Wildstar forums, and saying they need to remove the focus on raids, and balance the game around 5 v 5 pvp so it can become an e-sport.

EQN has the potential to be a great game, and I do not think people are arguing that point. The argument is that it really is not targeted at traditional MMO players.
  17. Mellkor

Ok, I can respect that.
  18. Avenged

Aion did it for 3 years. Lineage 2 did it for almost 6 years. Actually NCsoft games have a pretty good history of hitting the over 1m subscriber mark, and holding it for years.
  19. Mellkor

Yep.. those facts are right. I was too slow to imply in the west..

Different audience however, Different play styles.
  20. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

(have we safely established there is no point in comparing Landmark to W*?)
    Its gonna be tough to have a meaningful comparison between W* and EQN, as we just don't have a lot of hard data on either of them yet. We know what the Devs want to do, their design philosophies, but we're still waiting to see if either one can deliver. In that aspect, W* has the sooner release and so has time to sink or swim.

I think its safe to say the the two games have very different philosophies and though both will be Theme Park MMOs, they will in actuality be very different in how they play and work.

EQN has a pre-defined starting base. Those EQers are loyal to Norrath. Good for them.
    W* is new, though I think they are trying to pull that loyal Vanilla WoW crowd without actually saying it.

EQN: NO to the Holy Trinity. They claim to be replacing it with something new. We'll wait and see.
    W* has embraced the Old School Holy Trinity

EQN: Multi-class with no Character Level. a single toon can have up to 40 classes each leveled separately.
    W*: Well defined classes with std level progression

EQN: Destructible terrain. Sounds interesting. Can I topple pillars on foes? Cut my way out of the maze
    W*: well nothing really like this

EQN: Facial recognition: Record your facial expression mimicked by your toon
    W*: Do you guys really want to see my expression after eating 2 burritos and downing an alka-seltzer...

EQN: Free to Play
    W*: SUB, Play to Pay (will P2$ work? Only time will tell)

I'm trying not to let my opinions seep in (hard to do) but just a give simple comparison at how different these two games will be.

One final note about WoW Killers. They are a myth. There are only two things that will kill WoW. TIME and WoW itself.
    WildFly, Avenged and Mellkor like this.