1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Esper Healing Concern

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Pashtun, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Pashtun

Pashtun New Cupcake

I have not played in BETA and am looking for clarification from those that have played the healing classes in Wildstar.

From what I can see the Esper has only 2 freeform (telegraphed) heals and 6 targeted heals. The spellslinger and medic seem to have the opposite. For example, the spellslinger has 7 freeform(telegraphed) heals and only 2 targeted heals, similar to medic.

My question is this, it seems the Esper will be a UI wack a mole type healing class. Seems you will be staring at a UI to decide who to heal, very similar to other typical mmo healing styles. While medic and SS seem very very different from typical healing styles in other mmos.

Is this true? Will an Esper be playing the UI healing game or is there more to it than that?

Looking for feedback.

Thank You, Pashtun.
  2. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

I have played in two beta weekends, most of that time as an Esper and for a while in the healer role in groups. There are doubtless others who have played them to a much higher level but I didn't see what you describe.

Each of the healing classes is definitely different.

While Espers do have more single target abilities you definitely couldn't just stare at the UI waiting to heal someone. I don't think Espers would do it any moreso than Spellslingers or Medics. Many of their abilities are also on cooldowns so there'd be just as much UI watching.

Going by comments I've read by higher level Espers, Mind over Body isn't terribly popular. Soothe is the main heal. MoB only heals a single target, only heals for approx 50% more than Soothe and per second generates fewer Psi Points. So your proverbial bread and butter heal would be a telegraph one. I've used it. The telegraph is reasonably narrow, plus from memory it only generates Psi Points if it hits players who need healing. So it does require some skill to use.

Some of the Esper single target heals also look like emergency ones, eg. Phantasmal Armor. If all you did was apply it to someone every time it came off cooldown I think you'd be wasting it.

The only one I see as being what you fear is Bolster. Since it also instantly generates a Psi Point I could see myself just applying it to the tank every time it came up.

On top of all that there's the need to keep out of enemy telegraphs.

The main differences I see between the healing classes are:

Medic has medium armor to Spellslinger and Esper light.
    Medics gets some shield heals.
    Mobility - Medics > Spellslinger > Esper.
    Range - Esper and Spellslinger > Medic.

The profession ability also changes gameplay. I found I used the Spellslinger one most often, it not having a cooldown. Assuming you have enough Spellsurge you can turn it on and off as you please. With a 30s cooldown (too long to be every fight) I found I almost never used the Esper one (like maybe three times over approx 50 hours of gameplay), treating it as an emergency button. I don't think I ever used the Medic one which has 1 min (?).
  3. Snapdragyn

Snapdragyn New Cupcake

I'm counting 7 multi-person heals (one of which includes a cleanse) on http://ws-base.com/builds/generator/esper (not counting a targeted heal which can be advanced in tier to chain to an additional nearby ally).

I've only done 1 beta weekend & not very high level at all, so can't speak to the accuracy of the information at that site (which will change anyway, of course, since it's beta).
  4. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

From what I saw it's fairly accurate. There's just a few missing things (like the cooldown on Spellslinger's Gate) and I think I saw another ability with wrong cooldown duration.
  5. Greatheart

Greatheart Cupcake

You can get an addon where you keybind a button to target the party member with the lowest health so in theory you could play without having to single click with the mouse everytime you want to heal someone.
  6. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I had the exact same concern about esper healing that you do before I got into a couple beta weekends. I think your healing play-style as an esper is very build dependent. I healed up to level 30 and here are the moves I used the most (remember this is all my opinion, not setting anything in stone here):

Bolster: The best esper psy point builder in the game, not a particularly powerful heal though. Place a two stack on the tank early in the fight for psy then use when needed for psy (does not have to heal any hp to grant psy point, so target isn't super important).

Soothe: Right now this is the staple esper heal, it grants one psy point at two charges and two psy points at three charges so it's great to use as a long cast time heal (last time I played it granted one psy point at three charges and it was STILL worth it to use). But in emergency situations you can still tap it to rapid-cast it (no psy, lots of focus spent, but at least nobody dies). This is a long narrow telegraph.

Pyrokinetic Flame: This is cool because at charge 4 it will buff your tank's survivability and the melee dps dmg. Not an especially powerful heal, but it's a telegraph that can be cast on the move and it also damages enemies which is always a little fun as a healer.

Mental Boon (Finisher): This is a godly finisher right now , it's going to get nerfed unless it doesn't scale to 50 or something. It places a 15m circle around you and hot heals everyone in the circle like crazy for no focus cost (I think they should add a small focus cost to balance it) Actually, I've just been told that they raised the level you get this ability to 31 instead of 25 or whatever it was before, so perhaps it has already bee re-balanced. In any case, it's a super mobile telegraph heal.

Warden: Ok this dude is your main "whack-a-mole" style heal in my opinion. Heals for a good chunk then applies a hot to the area around whoever you cast it on. I'm not totally set on using this heal, because groups tend to dodge away from the scary green tree >.< . However, if the group cooperated: the initial heal is nice, at T4 it applies a significant armor buff, and who doesn't like having a hot ticking on the group?

Catharsis: I kinda hate this move even though it is a mobile frontal-cone telegraph. It's necessary to take because it's the only cleanser espers have, but with a 20s cd you have to be very careful when you use it or everyone will die. The medic cleanse is on an 8s timer, and the spellslinger cleanse is on a 6s timer so wtf but whatever.

Conclusion: You can play whak-a-mole if you want to, but you really don't have to. Sure you're probably always going to have one or two single-target moves on your healing bar, but so will most medics or spellslingers. Most importantly, imo, it doesn't feel like old-style mmo healing to me. Ok, this post is way too long sorry about that guys. :inlove: esper >.>
    Grelin, Hermes and Domi Dayglow like this.
  7. Pashtun

Pashtun New Cupcake

Thank you for the responses. I kind of thought that even though it seemed to have a lot of targeted abilities that it would still feel like a different healing style. Thank you for the posts.

Does anyone know the name of the esper heal that looks like the yellow marshmallows that float up and disappear?

What heal is the swimming fish?
  8. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

The yellow marshmallows are actually japanese-style lanterns, the move is called "Reverie" and is a good PvP aoe burst heal with a massive range. I'm pretty sure the swimming fish are soothe, but it's kinda hard to see that ability from the point of view of the casting character because it extends directly away from you in a line.
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The Debuff Cleansers....

The balance across the different healing classes does seem a little.....strange when it comes to this ability. Anyway, referring to ws-base.com builder for the numbers on healing strength....

Medics get Antidote. It costs 24 Focus, 8 Second cooldown, and 15m range. Available at level 15. It's healing numbers are 3.88% support + 3.88% assault + 3.39.

Spellslingers get Purify. It costs 15 Focus on a 6 second timer and 25m range. It's available it level 18. It's numbers for healing are 0.92% support + 0.92% assault + 0.99.

Catharsis costs 38 Focus, 20 second cooldown, range of 25m. It's base heal is 23% support + 23% assault + 24.

Let's ignore the raw numbers for a moment and assume that they are subject to change before launch and even beta weekend to beta weekend. What we are left with is the pattern that they make. It looks like Medics and Spellslingers are much better at cleansing debuffs while the esper can cleans the debuff, but also heal significantly more at the same time.

As been pointed out, the problem is that there's an entire set of abilities that the esper has to heal, but only one to remove debuffs. A medic and spellslinger can dispel debuffs much more efficiently, making them the preferred cleanser against bosses that inflict large amounts of debuffs. If a team faces such a boss with an Esper healer it might be prudent for a spellslinger or medic i the group to slot their cleansing power to back them up.

Therefore, it looks like Carbine wants the Espers to be known for the ability to restore lots of health and to be known for it. Meanwhile spellslingers look to be known for their cleansing ability. On really big raids this can be an important thing. What if there's a raid with a boss that does lots of damage, but also inflicts a deadly debuff? All of those DPS spellslingers might suddenly find it very helpful to the rest of the raid if they take their cleanser and use it regularly. Thus allowing the esper to dwell on healing.
  10. Galilei

Galilei New Cupcake

Has anyone played around with mouseover macros? Do these even work in Wildstar? With the Esper having a relatively large number of single target heals, I imagine that healing without mouseovers could be painful. (The tip that Greatheart made about the lowest health targeting addon is really helpful, but sometimes I like to micromanage rather than depend on an addon.)
  11. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

In practice, if you're in a 5-man group PvE situation (either dungeon or adventure), your target likely will be on the tank 80% of the time. Your finishers and soothe (the main aoe spammable) will be sufficient to heal up the dps during splash damage, if the dps get into real trouble (i.e. stood in telegraph/grabbed major aggro) they'll likely gets one-two shotted so your targeted heals won't help much there anyways.

Also since everything is positional, sometimes it's a lot easier to click on the actual player than clicking on the name plates at the left hand side for the target emergency heals/absorb/shield/interupt armor. An example is to give out your shiny armor to a dps when he is about to be stunned, you probably can't tell who that player's name is (and where is it on the name panels) right away so name plates don't help there, you've gotta click on that person and cast immediately.

The main difference between Esper and the other two healers during playing, is not so much targeting but rather the movement restriction --- Especially compared to the medic. You don't get to move when you're casting either of your spammable heals, and soothe (the aoe charged spammable) takes quite some time to charge to max. So don't expect to run in and out like crazy with esper healer (although you still need to move as your only cleanse is a freeform, so you've gotta run up and cleanse the afflicted), but you are definitely not just staring at the name plates since you'd absolutely need to be watching what's going on in the heat of combat.

If you DO want to stare at name plates though, you can. But I find it a lot harder given the positional aspects (and I'm no newbie to name plates, having healed for years in WoW). If you've got a very good group though, aka no emergency situations, name plates can work just as fine. But then again, if you've got a very good group you don't even need to change your target away from your tank, dpsers should be healed up from your splash healing alone...

For raids, each espers will probably be assigned a tank. Even if you're raid healing, you'd probably still have your target on the tank while you soothe/reverie the hell out of the group. In raids you'd probably use name panels more often for snipe heals (as you can't possibly watch and click on 40 people), but snipe heals for dps is just not very efficient. We'd have to wait until the actual game and raids come out to know the trend, for now I can only say I doubt name plates will be heavily used, it confuses more than it helps in a positional game like this.

Lastly, PvP --- Well, this can get frustrating, if you need to juggle between targeting your many teamates. I truly believe this is one of the reason why a medic healer or even spellslinger healer is more sought after than an esper healer in PvP. There is of course, a bigger problem that is you can't move and will be bursted down very quickly. I do think healing espers need some work in PvP, or at least people need to find a new way to play them...
  12. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Some of this has concerned me too, but there are things to help. There is an Addon that allows you to automatically target the player of lowest help on your team. For me, this means being able to hit that person with bolster (building a psi point) and mending banner. Both are targeted and thus work well with the addon. It gives that wounded player a heal over time, a direct heal, and a defense bonus. Neither are stationary.

I think I'm going to try to counter this with Reverie. It's an AoE 25m radius heal and is mobile with instant caste. Maybe in later game I could use Projected Spirit, but that power has a long recharge. Soothe still has a pretty good range to it. Hopefully enough so that we don't have to run in.

Likewise, Medics do suffer from the fact that their telegraphs are relatively short range. Usually they're going to be close to the tank, under threat from telegraphs, and run the risk of leaving long range DPS like Espers and Spellslingers well out of their healing range for their most potent support abilities.

Catharsis is really a terrible ability to cleanse debuffs compared to what Medics and Spellslingers have. It's short range and long recharge. Twice the recharge of comparable powers. The only plus is that it heals a lot more than other abilities. Though I guess that's subject to change before launch. Though honestly, Espers are going to be terrible at cleansing.

I've found an Addon that might help that. I haven't had a chance to test it. It makes little, color-coded flags appear over people's head depending on the amount of their injuries.

That addon can be found at: http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220096-heal-buddy

Espers are pretty good at targeted healing. This would be a good advantage to us in large raids where it's difficult to see where a tank might be or predict how they might move due to telegraphs or encounter mechanics. Bolster, mind over body, Mending Banner, Phantasmal Armor, and Warden are all targeted. We could tier up Mind over Body enough to use it's spectral lantern for it's heal buff. That would aid our Reverie power in healing the DPS people around us.
  13. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I can see that the first addon is indeed advantageous, as it turns a targeted spell to a smart heal. However, I have doubts that Carbine may fix things. Similar smart healing addons existed for WoW, but Bliz fixed the mechanics such that these addons can't be used, I suspect same thing will happen here too. The fact that some healing spells in the game are indeed smart heals while others are not meant that Carbine probably intended to have a difference between them.

The second addon, no argument, I think it'll be here to stay and it'll be one of the staple healing addons.

To be honest, I haven't been a fan of healing addons since WoW time. I didn't even use UI addons, did everything with what the games gave me (Except for recount and later DBM of course). In TBC there were advantageous to both options, sometimes I clearly see an advantage of someone using addons over me, for example before some of the addons were nerfed, the automatic detection addons were pretty OP. I'd have to work my butt off to cast as fast as someone else in purely reactive spamming/sniping situations. But on the other hand, without using any addons, I have complete control over any situation. As long as I stay on my toes and react fast to everything from debuff to incoming damage, I could minimize the advantage that addons give, yet retain my advantage in emergency situations. One thing though, my main was a priest (though I had all healing classes at max), so the versatility and control over action was probably more important compared to other healers in raid. The control over situations is crucial especially for server first kills and harder contents in general, where emergency happens every 10 seconds, and healing strategies have to change on the fly.

Then came Wotlk, gradually the default healing UI gets closer and closer to addons and the mechanics too. At that point I really didn't see the point of using healing addons. It was starting from this expansion that mana became a bigger issue to all healers, and efficient castings can mean a difference between wipe and success, so auto-cast addons took a big hit and control over decisions was more important compared to before. Also, preventative healing (mainly in the form of discipline priests but other healers got an increase amount too) became a bigger and bigger thing, and preventative healing can't be addoned, as it is a direct reflection of you asssessing the situation and making prediction based on complex environment.

Now for Wildstar, for 5 man groups I think I can do fine with the default UI, reason being reading people's health bar on their heads in a 5 man group isn't that difficult, and looking at health bar is more informative than colours because it gives you a more definitive amount to heal for. I remain a little reluctant about auto-casting because it can get in the way if I become used to it, especially for preventative measures i.e. phantasmal armor on a dps who's about to get hit and knocked-down, but who doesn't necessarily have the lowest hp at the moment. But for raids it's different, I think what I'd do is use that second addon and get used to it. I don't think the first addon will be here to stay forever so I don't want to get attached to it, but it would be nice in raids too. Though in the case of just one person taking damage and you'd need to heal him up quickly, just using the name panel on the left should be sufficient and accomplishes the same thing. If several have taken damage, instead of sniping one by one, would be much easier to just soothe or reverie, unless later we see a significant change in focus consumption.
  14. Wicked Lady

Wicked Lady New Cupcake

As far as healing goes in Wildstar each class will hold a specific role in raids, i can see the medic being a melee healer, a spellslinger & Espers to be a ranged group healer, and 1-2 Espers being appointed as MT healer, (targeted shields, single target large heals, and hots perfect for this role) I'm sure espers will also come in handy for instances where a char gets separated from the group, and needs heals, the range on the single target heal is quite large 40mtrs and even if the char is swerving like a madman your going to get the heal in! but each class will have an important role in elder game.

As far as a Addon based click to heal, I welcome someone to introduce it, people think its cheating, but your forgetting it takes real skill to stare at a ui, and react to incoming telegraphs with lightning quick reflexes, and still get stationary casts out to keep your team alive! healing can be a high stress role! regardless of an addon!

it was asked before about the swimming fishes move, I believe this is Mirage, its a AMP unlock in your support tree, places a mirage on the ground (fishes) that at base level heals whoever walks through it for 3.5k! :)
    Domi Dayglow likes this.