1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Esper Vs SpellSlinger ( Heals )

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Ashiktara, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

....You just want a tail? why not Aurin? Probably should use zoidberg meme*.
  2. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

In the revealed patch notes they show healing abilities for both... I'm quite sure they can both spec deeply into healing.. As well as one of the new classes is rumored to be a major heal type class.
  3. mmimzie

mmimzie New Cupcake

Honestly, who is the best usualy changes from month to month in MMO's. Even if one started as the best we probably wouldn't find out for atleast a month or two after release (depending on how long beta is). Even then a patch can change that dramaticly. I'd suggest just playing what sounds/looks/feels coolest to you and just play it.

Lastly, alot of time what does a role the best in MMO's only really matters in high level raiding where they are racing for world's firsts. Everyone else just sort of copy the pros but arent usualy good enough to make the differences so pronounced that it really matters. Though i guess Paladins in wraith of lich were pretty easy mode(tanks).
  4. pondfilter

pondfilter Cupcake

The info about the Esper being able to summon spiders and possibly charm monsters is a pretty big blow to the face for me. I'm intending on playing the 'best' or 'main' healing class but it seems pretty bizarre to me that they'd allow the Esper to summon and control stuff. Especially since there are still 2 more classes to be revealed. One of those could've easily been a minion master. As for Spellslinger, using guns/rifles/whatever to heal people is a turn off for me, I prefer the more stereotypical staff-wielding healer. I suppose I'll still have the option to completely skip those summon abilities and use some other ones instead. But yeah, like someone else mentioned, it's still all speculation as of this point. I think it's time for me to read the leaked patch logs thoroughly instead of skipping through it this time.
  5. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

Personally... I *LOVE* summons and charmed pets, so I'm actually quite glad to see the Esper has them, and look forward to having some healing in PVP as well with them potentially. I dislike traditional toons that just heal and heal and heal, with the occasional CC tossed in. The theme of it appeals to me greatly. As you said, you (barring them being "essential" abilities) should be able to pretty much skip over using them due to the limited action set, regardless.
  6. Cael

Cael New Cupcake

How come there has to be a "best" at any of the roles? Shouldn't we just have variety on how the actual role is accomplished? Esper's and Spellslingers should both be able to cover main heals and support heals and whatever other type of staple you can come up with, they should just go about it in different manners(which I am inclined to believe is the case). With the LAS system we should really be able to see some interesting combinations. Taking the above examples of summons, use those to add a bit of distraction and passive dps. Summons not your game? Swap those out for some more direct dps skills or even more healing/support ones!

I think(hope) that with this system Carbine can really eliminate the FotM/"best" class scenario and just have people play what they like, they way they like to do it without feeling pigeon holed into specific roles/abilities.
  7. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I wonder if they were thinking that a chamed or controlled monster was also a monster that wasn't attacking the Esper's teammates. So, in a way, that's healing by preventing the monster from doing any damage in the first place. It would help explain too different styles. I think I also remember the spellslinger having the teleport in a line thing that stunned everything in the line for a moment. So it could be that the spellslinger relies on stuns to back up their heals while the Esper uses mind control to back up their's.

And...now I'm looking forward to my little Esper summoning imaginary psyhic spiders to terrify monsters! :rolleyes:
  8. heleos

heleos New Cupcake

I enjoyed the separate ways that classes healed in WoW. I played Druid and preferred the HoT aspect as opposed to the huge heals from priest or quick/chain heals from shaman. Maybe something like that will be in order :D
  9. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

I completely agree here, more than this healer is better than this one, i like the differences to be focused on this one heals this way and this one another way. Like paladins were strong MT healers with huge monocible heals, shamans were more raid aoe oriented etc
  10. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I'm not allowed to go into any details probably, but Ender and I fooled around with both Esper Healer and Spellslinger healer in the dungeon (and some PvP) and both felt like very viable healing options. None felt "easier" than the other when we compared notes, yet there was also a nice difference and "feel" to them.

Granted that's only an early level 5 man dungeon and End Game is always a WHOLE other ball game, but it does feel like Carbine is on the right track from what we've seen.
    Rumze and Ascary like this.
  11. Marv

Marv New Cupcake

Did you feel like healing in wildstar took more communication due to the telegraphs or did people in your dungeon runs catch on pretty quick?
  12. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I felt that they eventually began to catch on, but it took a little time. Sometimes they just stood there and ate the damage, not jumping out of the way, which made my job as a healer a bit rough because that's a lot of damage to try to heal.

However, because they didn't jump around too much I was often able to hit them with heals VERY well, because of heals often be so positional. So it was a double-edged sword kind of thing that made every encounter very cool.

The even better thing is in PvP I know Ender had a hard time keeping up with her party because they'd never stop. PvP causes players to move, dodge, and run like mad and for a healer to chase them and fire off heals that are positional can sometimes be... interesting.

However, because of that, I learned FAST. I noticed I was taking a lot of damage and then stuck by her a lot. I paid more attention to where I could get heals and all that. We only played one match at by the end of it I had learned a ton.

I think in the long run it doesn't make a healer's job any harder, it just means people need to up their awareness of their surroundings a little and can't play the game like their half asleep anymore. I'll also say it makes a healer's job SO MUCH more interesting than just playing whack-a-mole with heal bars.

It even makes a healer feel really super cool to get off a heal/buff/damage shield on their entire party when they hit them just in that right way in a line. Sort of that feeling you get in a FPS when you get off a headshot. It's something I've never been able to feel as a healer before, and WildStar can now make me feel that way when I don the medic badge.

Frankly I love it.
    Rumze, Maxtross, Yakzan and 2 others like this.
  13. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for the feedback Patrician! So it appears telegraph is a great asset to the healing task! Since it reward positioning and timing, i can only hope for a more active and skillfull overall healing system. I can picture it from here, you cast your uber-heal in a zone and your group decide ti completely avoid it by running from it hahaha:D
    Patrician likes this.
  14. EpicBubble

EpicBubble Cupcake

Am I the only one who hopes the spell slinger heals by shooting people in the face!
  15. Eldryth

Eldryth Cupcake

As a long-time healer, really looking forward to trying both these classes (and the unannounced third healer). I just hope they aren't as homogenized as WoW's classes are now- make them roughly balanced, but with different strengths (like WoW used to be).
  16. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

I never really got the whole "homogonized" thing in WoW. I didn't play Vanilla, but my Pally felt completely different from my DK in both tanking and DPS, and my Druid felt completely different from my pally in all regards. Those were my 3 raiding toons so they're all I'll comment on.

While they filled the same roles, their playstyles were completely different and I don't get what's wrong with that.
  17. Eldryth

Eldryth Cupcake

It has nothing to do with vanilla, but it's been an ongoing trend. Sure, they may not play exactly the same even now, but the longer WoW's been out, the closer different classes and specs have grown together as a shortcut to balance. The current trend now is all classes having mostly the exact same capabilities but with slight playstyle differences, and given the pattern I can only see it getting worse in the future. Even beyond classes, irregular group formats and hybrid builds used to be fairly common, now it's completely impossible to do ever since Cataclysm changed the talent system to require choosing a single spec.
  18. Brexton

Brexton New Cupcake

I plan on rolling with a spellslinger since it best fits my play style. i was hoping off of the description that the sigils would play a greater role for the class.

I guess I imagined being dps, pure healing, or having some support role built around sigil buffs/healing based on point target aoe (Ground, personal, or target). But this is just speculation.