1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Esper's Mental Boon

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Pashtun, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Pashtun

Pashtun New Cupcake

Any reason to use this in a 20-40 raid?
  2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I think it could depend on the encounter. Mental Boon is a heal over time and a dash regeneration bonus. If I was on a raid with a boss that had a lot of damage over time effects and a number of telegraphs? It could prove very useful. Even if I wasn't the main healer as an esper, I could use it to give my teammates a heal to counter a damage overtime debuff and the dashing regeneration bonus to help get them out of danger.

But it's something I'm not sure I would take if I was the main healer. It's heal bonus is very, very low. I suppose it could aid the tank more when combined with Bolster's heal over time. Even then I think I could find a more useful power.

Then again, even if I was a DPS esper on the raid, I would still probably take bolster for myself. It is fully mobile and generates a psi point. During the last pre-order weekend I used bolster and concentrated blades in concert to earn Psi points really quick by timing bolster activation for when the psi blades hit. Mental Boon doesn't generate psi points for me to use it like that.

Anyway, I'm babbling. I'll get to the point.

If I was one of the main healers on a raid, I would not take it. I would use soothe and reverie as my main heals. Bolster and Mind over Body would be my builders. Phantasm armor and mending banner for resistance moments. I would still take Crush (with tier 4 to break two interrupt armor).

If I was a DPS on the same raid, I would take bolster not just because it gives a heal over time to me, but it is easy to use to build psi points. Mental Boon would only be on my list if I was having trouble dodging in a particular encounter. Once that encounter was over I would replace it with something else.
  3. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I think Domi covered this pretty well. The only missing part is that Mental Boon is the only esper finisher that doesn't require any focus to cast. While this finisher may heal for less than the other finishers it is far more focus efficient.

I realize that at the present build focus is not an issue for espers, but when things get re-balanced having an efficient move on your bar may be beneficial for protracted fights (particularly if the fight requires splitting into smaller groups where Reverie's massive 9-person heal could be overkill).

Otherwise, I agree with Domi. Just wanted to get my two cents in.