1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

EverQuest Next Reveal Coming Friday

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Gronky, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Good :up: Thank for your explanation, much better then just that one simple sentence, don't you agree? :p

I asked just because I wanted to know why YOU thought they should keep paying attention :D
    jbeezy likes this.
  2. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

a few of us are on nexus
  3. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Reading more about the crafting and the class system this game is extremely intriguing. It makes me want to believe that I'll feel more immersed into the world because what I do in the world directly influences how I evolve as a character and how my crafting evolves. It totally takes me back to the days of D&D. I want to cross a large open chasm by jumping it. The dungeon master feels I have a 15% chance to make the jump. So I roll a d20 and I must roll a 17 or higher to succeed. The gods are with me I roll a 18. Now since I completed such a difficult agility based task the Dungeon master gives me a 10% chance to permanently increase my Dexterity. So I roll a d20 and the Gods smile on me again. I roll a 20! My Dexterity just increased from 14 to 15 permanently.

This is kind of how I see the EverQuest Next system of class/crafting advancement. Successes and achievements done in the world based on your decisions have a direct role in your advancement. Not .. do this quest do that quest, craft 20 Bronze Iron maces.. etc...

Very appealing I must say and it takes me back in time to Real role-playing in D&D.

:)
  4. Fingers

I like that crafting mats will remain important no matter the crafting leve
  5. Fingers

Never been one for roleplaying (at least not outwardly), but can see myself trying to play my character in keeping with his/her own values :D
  6. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Meh game.
  7. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Voxels technology makes it very easy to render graphic which is far away, so I expect too see vistas reaching far away without fog. But they can't render voxels all the time at that size level. It would take unrealistic amount of memory and space on hardrive. So I expect there are complex rendering algorithms which only render voxels for objects which are being destroyed and until that happens those objects are rendered as bigger blocks. But as far I don't see the difference it's all cool. They should make some items in this world non-voxel based though. The trees breaking apart to pieces are no good. They still have a lot of work to do. I bet we will see at least one or two expansions to wildstar before we see EQN out.
  8. Fingers

I saw somewhere that they are working on making sure things break apart more naturally. Example they gave was the way the big trees collapse when that huge iron golem walks through them.
  9. Menchi

Menchi Cupcake-About-Town

No Trinity? Not interested. I hope the Voxels idea is mastered in a game that actually focuses on the combat/group mechanics as well.
    Chosenxeno likes this.
  10. Gronky

I've heard it too. Just I know it won't be easy. I've opened a new thread about voxels physics and problems around them on:
    http://www.eqnexus.com/forums/threads/voxels-physics.539/

So you could read up if you wish :)
  11. Gronky

From the other thread here:

12. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

It will probably something i play at the same time as wildstar when i have nothing left to raid. I don't see it holding my interest for a long period of time.
  13. Gronky

It depends how hardcore they made it. For the moment they are not really interested in making it a hardcore mmo. I don't think it would be a sony style. If we want a greatnes of both W* hardcore and EQN voxel sandbox world we will have to wait until Blizzard comes with their new copy monkey super mmo which mix and improves on them all. But they don't seem to have much luck recently with that :)
  14. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

I'm actually excited to see what they can do with no trinity.

They might get hate on for not having a trinity. Especially when people have seen how bad it turned out in games like GW2. This is a different company though, with better AI, and really those design encounters in GW2 just sucked.
  15. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

lol, yup. Actually people are already talking about how the new tech in EQN is what caused Blizz to delay their titan mmo project. EQN has already shown off thier game behind closed doors. Before blizz announced the titan delay. I wouldn't put it past blizz to pay off one of the press for those tasty secrets on what EQN was doing.
  16. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

It doesn't matter how hardcore they make it. I enjoy healing and as such my main mmo is going to be one where i can roll a dedicated healer. I dont really want to turn this into a titan speculation thread so im going to ignore the 2nd part of your post.
  17. Gronky

Healing is a kind of support. You may enjoy other ways of support. At the moment you know only healing so you say you enjoy healing but this may change when you start thinking outside the box. Myself I hate being bound to the same way of doing things forever. Personally I wish for a Blizzard's Diablo MMO :)
  18. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

If it's a true sand box game then it can very well work without the Trinity system.

Make the game about faction wars(PvP or PvE)
    Exploration
    World Bosses.

Make it that you need to achieve a set of tasks to kill a boss instead of tank spaking/threat management.

it's doable.

i can say iam pretty impressed by what EQNext is atemping to do, i had 0 expectations for this game, i tought it was going to be a easy cash grab game that it's only selling point is the franchise name.
    Dysp and Gronky like this.
  19. Gronky

If you haven't yet, watch a class panel. It looks like LOL "classing" was compared to EQN classes. I think this is great. I like horziontal progression and what you are saying about world bosses and such fits very well. So we may not see raiding in typical MMO setup but we can still see a lot of fun which does not end after we "level" up.
    I am just slightly worried about whole procedurally created world. It may be boring with its constant change. Unless they make sure they put a lot of stuff in between random changes (somewhat like Diablo 3 was generated).
  20. Vulgork

Vulgork Cupcake

I was wondering when an mmo using voxels would come along and here it is. I very much like this idea. I read that the world will regenerate over time, but it would be awesome if they maybe added another continent in which change is permanent and players can construct cities etc. similar to minecraft and also tear them down again.

It was said that well made creations from the landscaping-tool should be able to make it into the actual game world so I'm also interested to see how that will work.